Search Unity

2D vs 3D Dilemma - Action/Platformer with a 3/4 perspective

Discussion in '2D' started by GazingUp, Sep 30, 2019.

1. GazingUp

GazingUp

Hello everyone,

I am in the process of creating an action adventure game with active platforming in a 3/4 perspective.

Here's a short clip of what I got so far - [NOTE: this is completely coded / drawn in 2D]

I wanted to post this on the WIP but I wanted to try asking here to get more views from users regarding this dilemma I have been having since last week.

I saw a pixel art shader online where 3D models can be created and work into unity with a pixel shader - to give the very same effect as one would get with pixel art - just MUCH better because now you got all directions PLUS vertical depth baked into the 3D models already.

With what I have up here - the 3D depth has been completely coded. My character can jump, walk up stairs, all that works fine. But my primary concern is as I build the game more - will I face several game breaking bugs that can waste my time in the physics department because I'm basically automating the "sprite" bounds and using colliders and sorting layers all over the place for simulating the depth. 3D would erase ALL of this concern and I have been starting to work with blender. It isn't as hard as I thought it would be.

HOWEVER, I have never worked with 3D unity. I have only used 2D.

My game requires these features:
    - Active jump (as seen in video)
    - Varying height (impossible with 2D pixels as I can't really draw/automate varying heights as they involve a pre-determined physics calculation with 1 pixel units - I can live without this one)
    - Attacking when jumping (I haven't attempted this but this was one of my biggest concern about causing game breaking bugs)
    - Pathfinding - jumping enemies (Again a concern for causing game breaking bugs as coding out all the physics possibilities would have to be done)
    - Platforming (Jumping on different objects of varying height)

The above can be easily accomplished with 3D as unity does an exceptional job with 3D collision and depth handling. But the 2D art is indeed easier to make (with the exception of outstanding animations and art that would work well in a world of simulated 3D depth).

I have this dilemma. Please help.

Blender -> Unity 3D or Aseprite -> Unity 2D for this kind of game?

2. xVergilx

xVergilx

There's no such thing as 2D in Unity.

Everything is 3D in the end, so adding any of those features won't be really a problem.
    Sorting layers are just the same Z axis, and both can be used at the same time as well.

Also, pathfinding is mostly performed in XZ plane. Meaning that "jumping" is probably just nav mesh link traversal between two points. There's no navigation done inside solid meshes. So there's no Y, just another mesh / graph placed above.

This can be done differently depending on the picked up pathfinding solution.
    So just pick one, don't make one. Its really easier / less time consuming.

E.g. A* Pathfinding Project supports both 2d and 3d just fine, switching from one to another is really easy (swaping graphs).

I'd say just go with 3d and create a fake 2d by placing objects / aligning camera correctly.

Also, the above.
    Also, general discussion is not about help. If you need something, its better to ask in a specific forum.

3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Cleaned up thread. If someone will not reply with help, then it's best not to reply at all. There's no need to start criticising and going off topic (regardless if it's the OP or a reply). Keep on topic and focus on the development. Thanks!

I have also moved this to the 2D forum. If you are not getting the replies you would like, try to focus on smaller posts/questions. It is perfectly OK to post small specific questions but lots of them. It is often better as well.

(Do not reply to this moderator note. Stay on topic)