Search Unity

2D versus 3D Asset Creation

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by GoonLvOver9000, Oct 26, 2018.

1. GoonLvOver9000

GoonLvOver9000

So I am pretty new to Unity still but want to jump right into making a game trail by fire style, one issue I am having is getting assets. I have zero art experience, none at all. Getting people who do have art talent to create assets for you is either expensive or unreliable, so I decided hey why don't I just try it out myself. My question is which is easier for a beginner to learn how to create 2D assets, maybe pixel art or a less detailed form of 2D art or 3D assets by learning and grinding blender to create assets.

I know there are free assets out there so please don't answer with that, I want to know as a beginner to art and assets where should I invest my time and energy. 2D or 3D asset creation?

2. Murgilod

Murgilod

I recommend 2D, mostly because it's not just the gameplay and such you have to consider, but things like menus as well. Once you feel comfortable working in that, move on to 3D. Not feeling like an expert, but feeling comfortable.

leftshoe18 likes this.
  3. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

Murigilod has a good point there.
    And I agree, 2d might be the easier option. :)

However, there are a few artists, who have admitted, that 3d art
    was easier for them to begin with, than 2d art. And I find that interesting.

I think, this all comes down to the individual, and their mindset. :)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  4. GoonLvOver9000

GoonLvOver9000

I was leaning more towards 2D anyways but this cements it. Thanks for the input! Do either of you have a suggested style of art I should invest in learning, something relatively easy but still could look good if i get good

5. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner

If you do 3D you’ll have to learn 2D anyway for texturing so go 2D first.

Kiwasi likes this.
  6. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

Okay.
    Learning an art style, is not always easy to do, or recreate.
    I'd say to create your own art style, and then work from there.:)

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  7. DungeonBrickStudios

DungeonBrickStudios

As someone who has made a 2D game and is now converting it to 3D, I can safely say that 2D asset creation was a piece of cake compared to 3D. You do need to learn how to draw and all that good stuff (which is time consuming for me at least) but in the end it does get done. Whereas now in 3D, I'm relying entirely on the asset store here.

8. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

Yup, 2d art was a pain for me... I could never figure out how to animate it.
    Or ya know, low poly it up and don't have to deal with textures. :p

9. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

There's a lot more technical considerations with 3d. For instance, with 2d you basically need one program. Photoshop. With 3d, you need at least two, probably more depending on how far you want to take it. And the programs are complex. Will take you months of work just to get proficient with the basic process.

If you suck bad at art, it's probably easier to make some lo-poly stuff with 3d than figure out how to draw with perspective and whatnot in 2d, but overall, I think the answer is pretty simple. Avoid the extra dimension if you want to keep things less complex for a beginner.

10. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

I find 2D dramatically easier and quicker.

11. sdwsk

sdwsk

If it counts as necropost, sorry.
    Personally I tried to start with 2d but when I discovered 3d, I was so excited, started to watch hundreds of hours of tutorials, modeling timelapses (yeah I'm a freak) etc, I just find 3d art more interesting to make than 2d.
    So imo, first try both and decide which do you prefer and then decide ;)