Search Unity

2D Vector Based Game (Flash? AE? ????)

Discussion in '2D' started by MelonBurrito, Sep 7, 2015.

1. MelonBurrito

MelonBurrito

I'm wondering if it's possible to use Flash or AE to make animations to import to Unity.
    I also want to be able to manipulate these animations to have random assortments of effects in the game.

Also, for my sound, should I record it separately? Or will it attach with the Flash or AE file?

And if I can't use these files (I've read a bit, and it doesn't seem like I can), how do I go about making a nice vector based game? Most of the examples I see of unity are very pixeled.

(Sorry if my questions may seem a bit basic, I'm a bit new with stuff and things :))

2. BusyCat

BusyCat

Here are a few things you should look at.

As I understand it (and I'd be happy to be wrong here and become enlightened), it's one or the other: you animate in Unity or animate in another platform and work with exported sprite sheets. I'm gonna lurk here as I'd be curious as to what other ppl say and what you end up doing. I'm sitting on the fence with a new project at the moment.

Best of luck,

NJ

3. MelonBurrito

MelonBurrito

Thanks for all that information!

So Toonboom is also compatible with Unity?
    And That first lecture about the Vector graphics in unity, his animation was basic. I was imagining something a bit more complex for my own animation. Something like this;

It would be something like this...not constantly moving, but a lot of repetitive moving animations, but much more simplified. And I want those animations to have almost like....vector effects in the game play that you can interact with.

I didn't see him, with the SWF file (or whatever it was), say that it is possible.

4. BusyCat

BusyCat

I can't say with certainty, but I don't believe there is any way to work with a SWF (compiled/built Flash) in Unity directly. I believe that you can make animations in Flash (and likely, ToonBoom) and then export the animation, frame by frame, into a spritesheet which is then consumable in Unity. The first video was just a way of being able to import static vector-based images into Unity as opposed to being confined to bitmap/raster-based images. As I understand it, you still have to do the animation in Unity. Not sure if I'm being helpful. Sorry.

5. MelonBurrito

MelonBurrito

No! You are being helpful :) Thank you so much. I really liked to videos you sent me, it did help, but I may have been tired and didn't catch some answers to some of my questions.

It just seems like so much to copy paste by every frame. Something else that worries me a bit in the thin line style of graphics that I want is pixelation. But I decided to pull myself away from the animations aspects of this...I need to learn more about unity before I can put much more together I think. So bam, tutorials :3

6. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

You are right BusyCat - though I've only worked in 3D so far with Unity (getting nearer to working in 2D) what you have said is true.
    Ryan Gatts (can't remember his forum name) is a Unity user who uses both Flash and AE for asset development. Here is his youtube page.
    And check out these two games (Bug) & (Blubber) which I believe both use Flash, not sure about AE. Quality games that are not pixelated unless it is on purpose.

7. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

There are some flash import plugins on the unity asset store.