Search Unity

2D torch effect

Discussion in '2D' started by brirai, Jan 30, 2015.

1. brirai

brirai

So I'm the lone programmer on a university project and i have been tasked with creating a torch much like that featured in Over the moons recent game "the fall" I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on how to create the same effect.My first thought is that they use the torch light graphic which increases the alpha value when it shines on objects, thus the closer the torch is more color in the object being viewed.
    http://assets.vg247.com/current//2013/09/the-fall.png this is a link to an in game image of 'the fall' as you can see the beam initially is all black until the torch is shone upon it.

2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Hey brirai - I'm sorry I don't have a solution to suggest, but you may want to edit the post title to include flashlight. Some people know the "torch" as a flashlight. You may get a couple helpful suggestions this way.

Cheers Mate!

3. vakabaka

vakabaka

spotlight (or some lights with different intensity) + sprites/diffuse ?

4. brirai

brirai

Thanks for the replies guys I found a asset on the unity store after much digging around on the internet for others facing my issue and found 2DVLS which is used to create the effect I am aiming for.

Again thank you for you help