Search Unity

2D Toolkit - 2D in Unity made simple [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by unikronsoftware, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Stilghar

Stilghar

I just bought 2Dtk and applied to the registered users forum.

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I just bought 2D Toolkit. I find it to be incredibly professional both in the way it's designed and the performance. Clearly the author is serious about all things 2D. That's good, because so am I.

And frankly, so should anyone else with an interest in 2D or 3D, because every 3D game needs strong 2D support.

3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Right so we've played with it.

Can't recommend it hard enough. Had we picked this for The Other Brothers, we'd have cut development times in half. Literally half. Shaped colliders PER FRAME? NO asset server issues? WTF! One common asset to store the data for multiple collections? The list goes on, it's clear that I owe the author several beers.

4. bartleycollin

bartleycollin

Oh, I thought you used 2d toolkit for TOB. What did you use?

5. Ben-BearFish

Ben-BearFish

I was wondering if it is possible to have a scrollable area that pages between swipes, like most Level Select UI on iOS games?

For example, the player sees the World 1 centered on the screen, and swipes left, and the page scrolls World 1 off and locks to the World 2 icon centered.

Cut the Rope, Angry Birds, Catapult King, Where's My Water all use these mechanics, and I was wondering if this is in 2dToolkit's UI or if I have to extend this somehow?

Edit:

Here's a Cut the Rope video example (At the 0:20 Mark):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cd1BWWujyQ#t=0m20s

And a Where's My Water/Mickey Example (At the 1:45 Mark):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GDAz42_2JQ#t=1m45s

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  6. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

This is not in the current version - you'l have to implement it yourself for now.

7. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

8. Ben-BearFish

Ben-BearFish

Ok, any ideas on what method to look at to possibly implement such functionality in the meantime? Could you add the feature request to Trello?

9. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

(Sorry for OT) ex2D. But we won't be going back to it. Tried Tilemaps with the built in editor. What a dream to use. This is what happens when the author tries very hard to minimise the work for the end user. I'd value 2D Toolkit around 100-200 dollars. Not many indies would pay that, but it's worth more than that.

10. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

Thats part of the "list" feature in the trello. I've added a line to clarify the snapping feature.

Start looking in tk2dScrollableArea.BackgroundOverUpdate - thats where the snapback, intertial scrolling, etc. happen.

11. rukanishino

rukanishino

Same case. Bought 2dtk when summer sale is up, played around, and wow this looks great!

I just barely touch the surface and the workflow is awesome! Love the custom collision editor, the built in atlas maker, animation editor.. All the tools and editor integration is nicely designed to the end user. Scripts and objects is straightforward and easy to use and extend. Tutorial and documentation is pretty great too. Can't praise it enough for my first impression :D

Haven't test the performance though, but I'm positive will be alright. Will use this for my next game, let's see if this goes well.

12. inz

inz

any tutorials for this? im a newbie in both unity and 2d toolkit..

13. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

As of 2D Toolkit 2.1, we're releasing it together with a sample tutorial "Whack-a-mole" game, developed from start to completion using the toolkit. This assumes you have little to no experience with Unity. You can find the tutorial here: http://unikronsoftware.com/2dtoolkit/doc/2.10/tutorial/whack_a_mole/index.html

This is for version 2.1, which is currently in beta right now - If you buy a copy on the asset store (the version posted there is 2.00), you can register on our forum to download the 2.1 beta version now.
    http://unikronsoftware.com/2dtoolkit/forum/

14. Mikie

Mikie

Can an animation made in Crazy talk animator use 2d toolkit to load into a Unity 4 app?

15. Ben-BearFish

Ben-BearFish

Hey Unikron,

I was wondering if the "list" snap-to feature was a priority, or not really for the 2DToolkit, as in it will be done within the next couple months?

I was just checking if perhaps it was better to wait for the official solution before implementing my own. Thanks.

16. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

Absolutely no idea - this is the first time I've heard of that software - I googled it, and I still have no idea if it'll work. I'm guessing it isn't going to work out of the box, unless the software spits out a list of PNGs to play back in sequence.

17. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

Its 2nd on the UI priority list, so its likely to get implemented in 2.2 / 2.3. I can't speak about timings though - if you need it done and out of beta in the next 2 months, maybe it might be worth implementing it yourself. I can't imagine its too hard to implement, unless you need it to work for totally generic situations, which we will need to do.

18. Ben-BearFish

Ben-BearFish

Yeah, we were hoping for a more general solution, but I can perhaps make a separate specific solution and remove it once the generic solution is done. Thanks for the info.

19. jhoemar

jhoemar

Hi!

Is it possible to add sprites collections and animations from asset bundle updates? I am working on my game now and it is required for me to create a functionality for new asset updates with sprites and animations.

If not, i hope this will be added on your roadmap.

Thanks!

-Jhoemar

20. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

Absolutely. This works fine :) Just build your asset bundle as you would normally.

One caveat - it doesn't work with platform sprite collections - that uses Resources.Load to load the appropriate data and is not compatible with asset bundles.

21. Maklaud

Maklaud

Guys, your 2d toolkit looks really best of all (comparing with other similar tools). But 65$ is a bit too expensive for some people. Is there a free version?

22. Ocid

Ocid

The $65 dollar you spend on 2D Toolkit will save you a ton of time and hassle both in building your own game and rolling your own sprite solution.

Save for a little bit and get it its worth it.

23. Ben-BearFish

Ben-BearFish

I noticed when I move my 2D Toolkit camera the UI does not follow the screen coordinates. The UI stays in world coordinates. Is there a setting to have the UI follow the camera? And if not, what's the best way to set this up for the UI Button positions? Thanks.

24. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

2 options -
    1. Attach the gui elements to the camera
    2. Create a second GUI camera, set up layer masks and depth properly - have the second camera static and looking at the UI Buttons.

25. Pebbl3s

Pebbl3s

So, I'm planning on buying this hopefully tonight, but my current dev laptop is on the verge of dying. Just wondering if I'm able to buy the toolkit on my current laptop and be able to just re-download the toolkit when I get a new one w/o having to repay the fee again?

26. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

Absolutely. You can install it on all your computers.

27. claytoncurmi

claytoncurmi

Hi Unikron,

I'm trying to create a sprite animation and I'm getting an error saying "Unable to find any sprite collections". I've created 2 sprite collections with multi-platform support. I've also tried to create another sprite collection without multi-platform support and like that it worked. I noticed that you cannot create animation clips from spritesheets that have multiplatform support enabled. So, is it possible to create sprite animations with multi-platform?

Regards,
    Clayton

28. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

It is - I think there is a bug in the current version, where at least one collection without multi-platform must be present in the project for the selector to work properly. Otherwise you get that error message. Its not a fatal error though, as you can fix it by having one collection in the scene (even the demo one is fine) which DOESN'T have platforms enabled.

29. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It's worth at least 10,000 dollars of my own time in rolling something of this quality. As it's sold to the mass market, the author is able to bring a few years worth of 2D toolkit to you for 65 dollars. It's a steal.

I don't think you know just how much time and effort it saves or all of it's features. It's insane how much it does for you, solving problem after a problem, from animated shaped colliders, to attachment points, to generating tilemaps with a built in tile map editor, generating SHAPED tilemap collisions, vertex painting and more. I don't think its a purchase anyone needs to think about at 65 dollars.

30. Maklaud

Maklaud

I don't think you know that there are people, who cant spend even 65$ on such (even the best) product. Even such great software like Visual Studio, 3ds max etc have their trial period, while 2d toolkit doesn't. It would be better to try or to use a free version (like Unity has), earn some money with some games and then buy a full version. Again - somebody doesn't have this 65$ ready to spend on software.

31. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

@Maklaud - there isn't a free / trial / limited edition version mainly because the software is distributed as full source code. It would take far too much effort and time for us to maintain a separate version for trials, we're already super busy constantly upgrading and improving the product and providing support. We spend a significant amount of resources providing some of the best support on the asset store, but we can't afford to do this if we gave the product out for free.

32. Ocid

Ocid

So save up for it.

33. Tortyfoo

Tortyfoo

You should really follow Unity on Twitter/Facebook. This was reduced in a 24 Hour Asset madness sale a few months back and just a week or so ago was 1/2 price as the daily deal. I'm not even doing a 2D game but snapped it up at 1/2 price. Unfortunately probably means will be a while before goes on sale again but the opportunities were there.

34. Maklaud

Maklaud

I follow on Twitter, thanks :) And I look at these discounts.

35. Tortyfoo

Tortyfoo

So what you are really saying is then "I don't think you know that there are people, who cant spend even $32.50 on such (even the best) product" as you ignored the massive discount. If it just saves you a few hours work surely it is worth it and testimonies here have suggested it can save $1000s. This asset is the #1 grossing/selling asset on Store so seems only you are missing out.

36. Ben-BearFish

Ben-BearFish

I was wondering if the Multi-Platform Toolkit worked with the newest 2D Toolkit and if there are any pitfalls to watch out for if it does work with 2D Toolkit?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  37. YUSHI

YUSHI

Hi,I use the editor wording create sprite,but I press play sprite Will disappear.
    What is the problem?

38. Ben-BearFish

Ben-BearFish

Hey Unikron,

We set our gameobject with the tk2DCamera to DontDestroyOnLoad, yet we've been noticing the OnDestroy is still being called inbetween loading scenes. Even more peculiar is that the gameObject itself doesn't seem to disappear. It's still in the hierarchy. Do you think you might have any explanations or possible advice on how to deal with this?

39. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

Hi,

It might be worth asking on the tk2d forums or the MPTK guys. Older versions definitely did work, and none of how things work has actually changed, so I'd imagine it still works fine.

40. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

Hi, can you post in a bit more detail please - I'm not sure I understand the issue you're facing here.

41. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

Nope, this should just work. If it doesn't and you can definitely reproduce it, I suggest filing a bug report with Unity.

42. Ben-BearFish

Ben-BearFish

Is the MPTK kind of obsolete with 2DToolkit's newer ability to select the correct sized textures based on device, or are there still benefits to using MPTK with 2DToolkit? I'll ask the MPTK guys as well.

43. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

One obvious advantage with MPTK is the ability to reposition things for different resolutions / platforms. That could come in real handy.

44. YUSHI

YUSHI

OK.I wrote an editing interface tool that he can choose what I want objects.
    When I select the option, he can produce objects that I want to come out.
    Objects is Prefabs,put inside tk2d sprite.
    When I run the game,sprite mesh will disappear.

45. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

Is the prefab under another prefab?

46. YUSHI

YUSHI

47. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

That is caused by a bug in Unity and is not specific to 2D Toolkit - this was reported to them with a really simple repro case (bug #553856), whats happening is the script gets reset after its awaked, i.e. it loses all the data which was created, including the mesh. You should make the root object not a prefab and this should work fine then.

48. YUSHI

YUSHI

Hi, can you say detail please?

49. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

Code (csharp):
    2. Prefab
    3.     game object
    4.     game object
    5.        Prefab <- this can be broken sometimes
    7. Not prefab <- make this not a prefab
    8.      gameobject
    9.      gameobject
    10.         Prefab <- this will be fine
    I am pretty sure its a bug in Unity, it can be reproduced with just 1 script.

50. YUSHI

YUSHI

Ok,Thank you very much.
    But,I want to make a levels control.
    So I wish parent object is prefab object.
    Will there other ways to solve it?