Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

2d tilemap control

Discussion in '2D' started by Bettston, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Bettston

Bettston

Hi,
    I am new to unity and the 2d tilemap and am trying to get my head round if somethings is possible or not. What I want to be able to do is make a multi room tlemap similar to say a house plan from an estate agents but be able have this on a phone and scroll to dfferent area of the plan using swipe. The will be no character involved but will be touch areas in each room with information.
    All the samples I can find are either scrolling with character movement or each room fits the screen, I am looking at a large tile map you can just move about in any direction with you fingers to get to different area.

Is this possible and any simple examples anywhere?

Thanks

Tony

2. eses

eses

@Bettston

If you google you'll find at least 3-4 introductions to tilemap from YouTube.

Camera movement is not any way locked to some imaginary player character.

There is nothing else in tilemap except grid object that defines placement of tiles for the grid's tilemap layers.

AFAIK you can have more than one grid with it's own tilemap layer or multiple layers.

Seems like tilemap can be also used in more creative ways, like seen here as tile positions are Vector3 positions:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/documentation-for-tilemaps.482746/#post-3226206

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  3. Bettston

Bettston

Thankyou, seems I was looking at it the wrong way round thinking move the tile map not move the camera. I rthink I found and example of angry birds style left to right so just need to add the other directions

THanks

Tony