Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

(2D Sprites) Frames have disappeared after update

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Marscaleb, Sep 25, 2019.

1. Marscaleb

Marscaleb

So I've got a project I started a long time ago in a much older version of Unity. I'm trying to port it over to the latest version.

For some reason though, my main character's sprites won't appear in their animations.

My idle animation (which is a still frame) does play, but all the other animations when he walks around and jumps and falls and so forth, he just disappears when those play.

As far as I can tell, all the data is still there. The system is trying to play the animations properly, it just seems that most of them aren't actually pulling up a sprite to display. And I thought I copied over all the data from the original project, so I don't know what I could have missed.

Most likely, this is just an issue with something I neglected to copy or set up, but I have no idea what it could be. The animation controller exists, the animation file exists, and the original sprite sheets exist, and all of these were copied over with the same meta data. What have I missed? What should I be checking?

When I open up the animation files and look at them in the animation window, I can see all the keyframes as those little diamonds. When I look at the idle animation, I see a small image of that one frame. But I don't know how to check to see what sprite it is trying to reference, so I don't know how to check what it is trying to see.
    It's been so long since I've tried to work with animation that I'm not sure exactly how to check this information. I can't even figure out how to play these animations while I work on them.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Marscaleb

Marscaleb

Okay, let me try something a bit more concise.
    When I have an animation open in the animation window, how can I view exactly what sprite is selected on a given keyframe?

3. Marscaleb

Marscaleb

Okay, so here's what I'm up against so far. When I select one of my working animations, I see this:

But when I select the same animation for the character whose animations are NOT working, it looks like this:

It's been a long time since I've tried to work with animations, and the editor has changed since then. I don't know how to view either of these as an actual animation. I can see tiny images of the frame, but I recall I used to be able to watch the animation play in one of the other windows while I was editing it. It would be helpful I could at least do that again.

But what I really need is some way to be be able to select a specific frame and look at what sprite it is trying to set. If I could see that, I could find out what the problem is and what asset is in the wrong place.