Search Unity

2d sprite look at mouse

Discussion in '2D' started by ChaosD, Nov 17, 2013.

1. ChaosD

ChaosD

Hello,
    i´ve been looking around for quite some time now and all i found were scripts that worked odd for me. I have a top down scene where my player (sprite) moves around. I want him alwys to face the mouse coursor. I tried several scripts from around the forums but most of them rotated my sprite in a way that it either got invisible (90 degree to the camera) or, as my last attempt, facing down slowly, the father away the mouse moves.
    This is my current script:
    Code (csharp):
    2. void Update () {
    3.         mousePosition = Input.mousePosition;           
    4.         mousePosition = Camera.main.ScreenToWorldPoint(mousePosition);
    5.         //transform.LookAt(new Vector3(mousePosition.x, mousePosition.y, transform.position.x));
    6.         Quaternion rot = Quaternion.LookRotation( transform.position - mousePosition, Vector3.forward );
    7.         transform.rotation = rot;  
    8.     }
    Are there any 2d specific helpers/classes designed for this or do i really need to go down the 3d road here?

Thanks in advance!

w-p likes this.
  2. ChaosD

ChaosD

Found a solution by myself - if anyone has the same problem, this is what iam using now:

Code (csharp):
    1. void Update () {
    2.         mousePosition = Input.mousePosition;           
    3.         mousePosition = Camera.main.ScreenToWorldPoint(mousePosition);
    5.         //transform.LookAt(new Vector3(mousePosition.x, mousePosition.y, transform.position.x));
    6.         Quaternion rot = Quaternion.LookRotation(transform.position - mousePosition, Vector3.forward );
    7.         transform.rotation = rot;  
    8.         transform.eulerAngles = new Vector3(0, 0,transform.eulerAngles.z);
    9.     }
    The whole Quaternion and Angle stuff is really confusing to me.

Is this the right way for 2d?

MuSa_AtReev, WinterboltGames and w-p like this.
  3. PJRM

PJRM

I have the same problem!
    It should be an overload method of LookRotation for 2D purposes, like the script reference:
    Code (csharp):
    2. static Quaternion LookRotation(Vector2 forward, Vector2 upwards = Vector2.up); // For 2D projects
    Some methods and classes works with 3D only, not 2D.
    So far my 2D spaceRocks is going well, but to make the enemies face the player... is a hell.
    Thanks for the solution!