Search Unity

2D Sprite asset border problem

Discussion in '2D' started by amiga4K, Apr 26, 2021.

1. amiga4K

amiga4K

Hello, I created a simple sprite asset: a square with Create > 2D > Sprites > Square.
    I have also make this settings:
    • Wrap Mode -> Clamp
    • Filter Mode -> Point no filter
    • Format -> Automatic
    • Compression -> None
    • Project Settings -> Quality -> Anti Aliasing -> Disabled
    • Main Camera -> Add Component -> Pixel Perfect Camera
    However when I put the square into the scene there is a grey "border" around it.

Unity_wJwuYs0z8t.png

Is this a Unity bug? Why does that border is rendered around the square?

Thanks.

2. DanielTanBK

DanielTanBK

Unity Technologies

Hello,

Yes, this was an intended design change in a few versions of Unity, but was reverted back after user feedback
    A similar case was tracked under: https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...issing-when-trying-to-create-standard-sprites

The grey borders should not appear in Unity 2020.3.3f1, 2021.1.0f1, 2021.2.0a8 and above
    Do upgrade to these versions or later to get these changes, if you are still able to reproduce this issue or are unable to upgrade do let us know

3. amiga4K

amiga4K

Hi,

I actually discovered this when I imported the generated sprite (Square.png) into Photoshop and realised that the 4-pixel grey border is not an artefact of Unity's rendering engine but is actually a drawn border.

I downloaded a new Unity app (version 2021.1.4f1) and fortunately that border is no longer present as you can see from the image below:

Unity_UlH566npgQ.png

Thanks for the support!!!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021