Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

2D Space Shooter - Please have a look

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by MadRobot, Jan 23, 2012.

1. MadRobot

MadRobot

Hello everyone!

My game is called RedShift and it is a top-down 2d shooter. The game draws inspiration from old classics like Galaga, Galaxian, Space Invaders, Centipede, Raiden, and the like.

Comments are welcome. Right now this is available for play on Kongregate.com and also on the developer site. Please have a look and leave feedback.

Features:
    ** 6 Levels, each with multiple stages
    ** Many different of enemies
    ** Bosses at the end of every level
    ** Uncapped weapon power-ups
    ** Intelligent AI that reacts to the player
    ** Endurance system with continuous difficulty escalation
    ** 4 weapon systems: guns, missiles, heavy laser and a special attack
    ** Switch between direct or spread fire
    ** Optional Autofire
    ** Mouse or keyboard control

Level Descriptions:
    Level 1: Low altitude flight over the terrain of your home planet
    Level 2: High altitude flight above the clouds during a storm
    Level 3: Deep space
    Level 4: Entering the Nebula
    Level 5: Heart of the Nebula
    Level 6: Near orbit of a massive sun-like star

Here is a link to the game on Kongregate. http://www.kongregate.com/games/Mad_Machine/redshift

Patrick

Here are some screen shots! I hope you like it! Please try it out!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  2. kingcharizard

kingcharizard

upload your the files you get in the web player folder after you build the game to a web server

3. Chris Aoki

Chris Aoki

Wow, pretty cool, I am working on the same kind of game mechanic, but am still working on the enemy AI. Looks like you have the mechanic spot on though, grats!

4. dyox

dyox

IA is impossible ... Not realy good game.
    3D it's ...
    And control , too low for have good play.
    But i think you can make something good with this start.

5. MadRobot

MadRobot

I tried uploading the .unity3d file and the uploader says it is an invalid file type. I have successfully created a web version and have it running here www.nuancestudiosonline.com/RedShift and here www.kongregate.com/games/Mad_Machine/redshift but I cannot seem to embed the game here on the forum so people don't have to go to those links. I thought I had seen that done awhile ago by someone else.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  6. MadRobot

MadRobot

Can you be more specific? What was impossible about the AI? How far along were you when you found the AI impossible? Which enemies were impossible?

I'm not sure the meaning of "3D it's ..." I can only guess you are disappointed, but that's ok because its a 2D game (just happens to use 3D assets). :)

Regarding control, it was a design decision to be slow initially. There are power-ups that add agility to the craft. Perhaps I should make them more obvious?

Thanks!

Patrick

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  7. MadRobot

MadRobot

Thank you for the encouragement! I'm looking forward to seeing your work!

8. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

I think you need to destroy enemies that leave the screen because my missiles kept trying to do immediate U-turns and hit ones off screen. Also, I notice that your missiles can act funny if it gets shot just right. They end up flying around in impossibly fast circles. Maybe you should give them a lower top speed, or maybe have them track for a limited time then fly off screen and disappear.

Other than that, solid work.

9. _Petroz

_Petroz

Good little game. I found it more difficult at the start, once i got some upgrades it got easier. I would suggest making it easy at the start. If your game is even slightly difficult at the start you risk immediately alienating nubs, see Dyox's post for reference :p. Keep in mind that because you're making the game you have a lot more familiarity with the game mechanics than anyone else, so what seems reasonably tricky to you will be nearly impossible for the average player.

It's good to have a learning curve which means it starts off simple and easy, and the difficulty increases.

I like the way the homing missiles speed up as well. I didn't like the enemies going off screen and coming back from the bottom since i cant shoot down. I think it would be good to try to keep them on screen.

10. MadRobot

MadRobot

Hm.. good feedback, thanks! I'll have another look at the game play and keep this in mind.

Patrick

11. MadRobot

MadRobot

Screenshots posted!

Hi everyone! I'm very excited to show you this game again! I have done a lot of work on this since I first posted this here. Game play has been refined, a million balance issues have been fixed, many new kinds of enemies have been added and a ton of functionality has been added to make the game cool. Also, everything has been textured now! There are 6 game levels, a few of which are shown above.

Please have a look, and if possible, try the game and let me know what you think.

Patrick

12. kingcharizard

kingcharizard

Dude I like this game its pretty cool

13. Chris Aoki

Chris Aoki

Looking better, however there are a few things that need to be fixed still, one is the that keyboard controls are terrible, moving with the wasd keys is fine, but shooting with F&G isn't. Generally you want movement controls for one hand (wasd) and other things for the other hand. J&K would be better choices, as well as shift or ctrl. Also I noticed that the interceptor went off screen for about a min (I assume it was killing enemies off screen) are you instantiating all the enemies at the start of the game and just moving them on and off screen when they are killed?

14. joshimoo

joshimoo

I like the scrolling map, and the cloud effect.

Are the clouds a particle system?

15. MadRobot

MadRobot

You can use the arrow keys to move and F G to fire. (Every keyboard I've seen has the arrow keys on the right side, so that leaves your left hand free for fire commands.) You can also hit SPACE and toggle on/off auto-fire, so you only need to hit F or G once to activate your weapons.

The interceptor chases enemies off screen. Enemies are instantiated throughout the level (as opposed to all being created at the beginning), and destroyed when they are killed. Basically, it takes the fight to them. If it's off screen, it's chasing enemies for you. So your assumption is correct!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  16. MadRobot

MadRobot

Awesome! Thanks! I'm glad you liked it! :-D

17. MadRobot

MadRobot

Yep! The clouds, stars, nebula and the giant sun... all particle systems. I'm glad you liked them! Thanks!

18. MadRobot

MadRobot

Hello everyone!

I've made some big updates to RedShift. There's a new weapon (a heavy laser) that helps deal with tough enemies, as well as hordes of weak enemies. The levels have been adjusted slightly and massive game balance changes have been made. There are also bosses at the end of every level now. Please have a look!

I have linked the Kongregate site above, and I have linked to my website where there is a forum system that can be used to leave feedback, bug reports, etc. The the forum page features a smaller web player of the game should you need it for reference.

I hope you like it!

19. Joel Strawbridge

Joel Strawbridge

Nice game, loads of fun!

20. MadRobot

MadRobot

Hey thanks Joel! I'm glad you liked it!

Patrick

21. jquery404

jquery404

22. MadRobot

MadRobot

Hey! You're off to a great start! I like the scrolling patches of tiny asteroids in the background. Keep working on this!