Search Unity

2d skeletal animation and the PSD importer package questions

Discussion in '2D' started by DeanTheodorakis, Oct 15, 2019.

1. DeanTheodorakis

DeanTheodorakis

Hi all.

In the 2D animation preview package documentation (link) it looks like you need the PSD importer package to use it? But the PSD importer package says it only takes PSBs... (link)

My question is: Does anyone know if there's a way to get a PSB from a PSD or other layered document without having photoshop? I've googled, and I see some importers (that I don't know if are legit) that say they do other conversions, like JPG or PNG but I haven't found one that would still leave all my layers intact. and it looks like layers are very much needed in the 2D animation package.

It's kind of frustrating me right now because I don't have photoshop, and I would very much like to check out the 2D animation preview package.

If anyone has an idea of how to get a PSB file format saved, I would appreciate any help I can get. I would really like to try the 2D animation preview package.

Thank you for your time.

2. ed_s

ed_s

Unity Technologies

You can actually try the 2D Animation package without the PSD Importer package. The PSD Importer just allows you to use PSB files which gives you more features when rigging your character.

As for making a PSB file without Photoshop, you can try using Gimp to make your PSD and then manually change the extension from .psd to .psb. This is a bit of a hack and might not work 100% of the time but you could give it a shot.

3. DeanTheodorakis

DeanTheodorakis

oh cool. Thanks for the information ed_s!