Search Unity

2D side Scroller Assets optimisation.

Discussion in '2D' started by HarisKap, Jan 20, 2016.

1. HarisKap

HarisKap

Hello,

We are making a 2d side scroller game with different scenes and different environments for android and iOS
    We use puppet 2d for animating our characters.

I have couple questions regarding the 2d assets.

1) What compression you would suggest? We are using sprite sheets with compression true colour at 1024. With result having some sprites sheets of one character at 4mb.

2) Does it matter if the sprites inside the sheets are in grid align or its ok if they are completely random?

2. Rostam24

Rostam24

I'm by no means an expert, but I did just this week complete a 2d mobile game. I made my own sprite sheets in a grid, 1024x1024 and compressed, which is what I will recommend. Alternatively, check out the sprite packer!

3. HarisKap

HarisKap

We used compressed and we have quality loss, do you have different settings on iOS or android? and how are your sprites sheets are made? just adding tags correct? you keep your sprites individual on power of 2?

4. Rostam24

Rostam24

Yes there is some quality loss when set to compressed, but true color was not an option for me.
    At first, I had a separate sprite sheet for each animation or character. Then I used the sprite packer to automatically create sprite sheets (1024 x 1024) with as many sprites packed into 1 sheet as possible. However, for whatever strange reason, the sprite packer ended up using more RAM - which is the opposite of what I was hoping to achieve.

I then created my own sprite sheets, manually (2048 x 2048). It was a lot of work, so I don't recommend it. I think in most cases, telling the sprite packer to pack everything in sprite sheets makes most sense.

5. HarisKap

HarisKap

We are trying to find the correct or best approach, to keep draw calls low, memory low and safe some app size.
    Why true colour wasn't an option?

6. Rostam24

Rostam24