Search Unity

2D Sci-Fi Platformer - The complete project with 6 animated characters, 22 weapons, 100+ level parts

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by s7, Apr 6, 2018.

1. s7

s7

2D Sci-Fi Platformer contains everything you need to create cutting edge game with beautiful art, animations, and effects.

Now Available: Buy for $39.99
    Launch Demo: WebGL | PC | Mac

This pack is in active development phase with new features, fixes, and improvements planned in the upcoming updates. Sounds effects are implemented for the sake of the demo only, and not included in the final package.

WHAT’S INSIDE ART ASSETS
    • 6 Detailed characters cut for animation. Interchangeable armor, helmets and weapons. Editable layers on all character parts, easy to change design, color and shape.

• Weapon Constructor: 120 unique parts including: base, panels, stocks, handles, barrels, magazines and more.

• 22 Premade weapons of different classes and types: pistols, shotguns, assault rifles, sniper rifles, heavy weapons and special weapons such as tesla gun, grenades, melee and more.

• World and buildings constructor of more than 100 parts. A variety of foreground and background elements such as ground, stones, crystals, planets, construction platforms, buildings and miscellaneous props.

• More than 30 HUD elements including 15 crosshairs, health and armor bars, icons etc.
    All art assets are presented in PSD files with smart objects and structured layers for your convenience.

WHAT’S INSIDE DEMO PROJECT

The project comes with basically everything seen in the demo, with all art assets in place, characters you can control, and weapons setup for you. Here’s the basic overview of its features we worked on for the early access:
    • Physical based character controller built with Unity 2D physics engine with character animations and interchangeable character parts in place. Lots of options to tweak that dictates how the character behaves and feels in game. It also works with the movable platforms as you have probably seen from the demo. Double jump, slide, crouch, moving backwards penalty, break force - it’s all there.

• Weapon controller with various modes and types supported: pistol, beam, shotgun, automatic rifle, mini-gun, melee, and others. When all the helper scripts tied together, it does damage calculation and effects spawning. You can also set the fire rate curve which gives you surprising results by making your fire rate speed up over time if you like. There are many weapons using this trick which makes them stand out by adding a tiny bit of randomness. This also works great with sound and animations, where the most complex case is the minigun having an initial spin-up and several sound loops with changing pitch and the animation controller kicking in.

• Parallax example scene featuring art assets: movable platforms, hanging cables on physics, base buildings, decoration props on scrolling layers, atmospheric weather effects such as sandstorm going in the background, and more. For the sake of the demo we used separate sprites to build the level, so that you still have the opportunity of moving things around.

WHAT’S COMING NEXT

So I guess you’re all wondering where we taking it in the end and what to expect from the asset in its finished state. Once our work is completed finishing couple other weapons, and a few missing weapons effects, we’ll move on to fixing basic AI. We will also settle this further by extending the gameplay with powerups spawned in the level, and hosting deathmatch battles vs AI bots.

Quite quickly things will get very awesome with this demo, and next up we’ll be giving the UI a little bit of attention and the possibility of seeing character stats on an attributes panel as well as the weapon icons draw up. The theme will continue to the scrolling combat text added shortly after the initial UI is in place.

As you may probably guessed, there is no documentation yet, and it’s the thing I’d like to point out coming once we roll what’s on our list first.

THAT’S NOT ALL

The initial release is just being polished off and should land the review queue in the few next days.

We really appreciate the comments and likes guys! I know a lot of the criticism coming, so please, keep it coming so we can make this thing full of win!

We’ll put together a video real soon, but in truth we’re just busy steaming ahead with it so we can push it out to you!

As always, thanks for all your support and if you have any feedback please hit the comments bellow!

This pack is now available: Buy for $39.99 in the Asset Store

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  2. s7

s7

Giving away something you can redeem, and I will be posting more in this thread. Stay tuned!

ASV-LK6T-3XF4-6NVA-663F-9EKD

Also feel free to share your thoughts and suggestions in this thread, or on our forum here: http://forum.forge3d.com/t/2d-sci-fi-platformer/163

Thanks!

EN_Games likes this.
  3. bosone

bosone

if you will make a video demo, i could provide some background music for cross-promotion. see my other works here for another asset publisher:

4. s7

s7

Hey Matteo,

It's something we've been looking for our promo video, and I can already see a few tracks that might fit right in. Please give us some time as we're working on getting the AI into shape to include in the next update. So, yeah, thanks for dropping by!

5. bosone

bosone

hi!
    great there could be some synergy! :)
    if you browse my soundcloud account
    https://soundcloud.com/bosone

or my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLGsp3G29Ae3OGGzluJY88w

you may find something already suitable but in that case i would like to add some SFX as watermark to the track. i'll grant you the permission to use the song if you add my links and if we join the effort in promote our work! :)
    (maybe have a look here https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/audio/music/cinematic-trailer-collection-53121 or here https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/audio/music/electronic/casual-games-music-loop-pack-73845 )

otherwise, if you have some ideas and a reference video (or also a reference song you like) i can try to make something new (if you give me some time! :) )

6. s7

s7

Absolutely, I will get in touch with you when we're ready. We expect to ship the new update next month along with the new video. Your work is great. Thanks again!

bosone likes this.
  7. bosone

bosone

great! :)
    contact me directly then, maybe it's better!

8. Mcg

Mcg

Hey, I've been playing around with the pack and really love it and I have some feedback. :)

• On some weapons and types, not all have or missing their own projectiles, effects, shells etc especially the rocket launcher, Telsa and flamethrower and grenade.
    • Would like to see examples of the rocket launcher, Telsa and flamethrower, grenade working
    • There aren't any animations for using a grenade.
    • I've looked in the PSD for characters but there aren't any sprites of the characters facing backwards.
    For future updates or add-on packs here are some of my ideas :p

• Additional environments and props
    • Additional character skins and maybe different species
    • Additional weapons
    • Different damage appearances/deals for characters/weapons/ environments
    • More item pickups like health packs and interactable objects like the computers/loot chests
    • Shield effects
    • Jetpack with different effects
    • Additional animations

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    s7 likes this.
  9. s7

s7

Thanks for your feedback and your suggestions on 2D Sci-Fi Platformer further improvement. It's true there are several effects missing from weapons like rocket launcher, Tesla, flamethrower and grenade. There is no grenade animation yet though I will be adding grenade throwing mechanincs to it, and for sprites facing backwards we simply flip them so it's by the design. We took the risk and made it early launch and thats why its still in beta.

To be honset with you, this pack had little to no sales next couple months the moment we launched, however now it looks like its getting some extra attention that might help me convince my artist friend to get back on this project to continue making his awesome art for 2D Sci-Fi Platformer.

One more issue that caught us unprepared is that the unity asset store failed to make a payout because of a silly mistake on their end so we had to put all our work on hold to cover our expenses for the next 6 months by doing client work and pay our bills. Its very unfortunate that asset store makes a quarterly wire payouts (while the Paypal is not an option for us) and that it took me a month of time trying to sort this issue by negotiating with their support to realize there will be no exception to the rules. That said, it was a real challenge to keep my asset store business running since I already spent 4 years doing it and I never had any issues from unity affecting me like that. Yet, I am very optimistic about it and I'm back on track expecting my payout to arrive this month.

All your feedback has been incorporated into our ideas about the best way to improve 2D Sci-Fi Platformer and like I promised you guys there will be further updates making it even better by bringing those requested features to you soon!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  10. Mcg

Mcg

Sorry to hear about those issues hopefully the sales start to pick up and gets even more attention now this pack is really awesome and certainly deserves it! :)

s7 likes this.
  11. s7

s7

Cheers man! Thanks a lot I needed this :)

bosone likes this.
  12. stipafk

stipafk

hi, can u test this asset in Unity 2019?

13. s7

s7

Hi,

Tested with Unity 2019.1.6f1 (64-bit) with some errors easy to fix:

1. To fix the errors in the console, change the Scripting Runtime Version to use .NET 4.x
    Edit > Project Settings > Player > Other Settings > Scripting Runtime Version dropdown

2. Remove line 4 in F3DCharacterAudio.cs that looks like following "using System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging;"

... and you should be fine from that point.

14. cybergamedeveloper

cybergamedeveloper

Will it work with Universal Render Pipeline?

15. s7

s7

Thanks for your question. I plan on updating the 2D Sci-Fi Platformer to URP soon. In the meanwhile I did a quick test with 2019.4.25 in a fresh URP project by converting all asset materials to URP with Edit -> Rendering Pipeline -> Universal Rendering Pipeline -> Convert selected materials to URP materials. This does the trick to the most of the materials but some clouds using custom shaders listed in here I had to disable:

upload_2021-5-20_20-36-34.png

upload_2021-5-20_20-39-12.png

Hope this will help you!

16. Korindian

Korindian

Hi, can you check that Version 1.1 includes audio files?

I just imported it into a fresh project, and there are 4 audio mixers, but no audio files included in the project at all.

In the import window, there aren't any audio files to be seen.

Are the sounds in the WebGL demo purposely not included?

Thanks.

17. s7

s7

Hi, unfortunately audio files are not included in the project and its mentioned in the Technical details section:

⚠️ Sound effects not included in the final package ⚠️
    WebGL Demo tested with Opera 51.0, Firefox 59.0.1, Safari 11.0.3, Chrome 65.0

18. Korindian

Korindian

Ah, I was looking for some note like that, but didn't notice that dropdown in the Asset Store page. Thanks.