Search Unity

2D Scene Setup Axes

Discussion in '2D' started by imgodot, Dec 1, 2013.

1. imgodot

imgodot

Hello,

First off, I'm a noob at Unity. I've played around with 3D stuff and some networking in Unity, but I am really a rank beginner.
    That being said, I hope someone can answer these questions.

For a 2D, top-down game what is the best way to configure "things", for example:

1) For the playing field (it will look like a map with land and water areas) should I keep the standard X/Z (?) orientation or rotate it so it is in the X/Y plane? The X/Y plane makes more sense to me, but a new Unity scene seems to assume the former.

My players will be ships that need to collide with the land areas on the playing field (map); they must stay in the "water" parts, therefore:
    2a) Should the playing field be a sprite?
    2b) A texture applied to a plane?
    2c) A background texture with individual sprites for the land areas?
    2d) Something else?

3) How should collisions on the, relatively, slow-moving ships be handled? Rigidbodies? Other?

Each player can create multiple "ships" in the game.
    4) Because these "ship" objects will be created dynamically, how do you assign a script to a dynamically created object?

Thanks for any help.

2. unitylover

unitylover

Stick with XY because in 2D there is no Z. Affecting the Z plane causes weird results in a 2D environment.

Stick to sprites. You can break up the map if it's going to be huge in to different chunks of areas if needed.

A simple box collider will suffice just fine. Unless you need physics on your ships you do not need a rigidbody.

Use the AddComponent method of the GameObject class. More info here.

I hope this helps.
    Mike

3. imgodot

imgodot

UnityLover,

Thanks very much for the information.
    Very helpful.

-- Paul

4. enjay

enjay

@unitylover, thank you. This was helpful to me as well!