Search Unity

2D Rocket Physics, trying to make an object rotate before falling

Discussion in 'Physics' started by TheBlackBox, Feb 15, 2019.

1. TheBlackBox

TheBlackBox

In my game, the player fires rockets into space, hoping to be able to land on the moon.

What I am trying to do, is create some fun physics so that the rocket can run out of fuel too early and instead start to plummet back towards the Earth.

I am currently using a Constant Force 2D Component in order to provide the force for the rocket - and then reducing the force to 0 once fuel runs out. However right now there is no rotation on my rocket. Instead the rocket simply falls straight back down without moving in any other direction.

I would like for my rocket to tilt and fall back to Earth so that it crashes in a different location, moving along the X axis, with the top of the rocket now facing down.

---

So far I have tried solutions that have involved using Quaternions and RotateTowards. I'm wondering if there are any solutions that are purely physics based so that I don't have to "fake" the effect, to some extent.

I have been wracking my brain with this one for hours and would really appreciate any help that you can give!

Thanks,

Brandon

2. SparrowGS

SparrowGS

By "purely physics" you mean stuff like FAR for KSP?

I'd just interpolate/RotateTowards forward to velocity.