Search Unity

2D Renderer question

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by interpol_kun, Jan 13, 2020.

1. interpol_kun

interpol_kun

So I started using the default 2D Renderer asset for LWRP. I can't find any information about the 2D Renderer concept regarding performance. What in general 2D Renderer is? Something to provide 2D Lighting and 2D Shadows (and some new features) in a different namespace? Or it's build exclusively for 2D and has some benefits over standard LWRP/URP asset?

The question is simple: if I don't need any lighting in my 2D game, do I need to use 2D Renderer or I can use default URP/LWRP and I won't miss anything in terms of performance and stability?

2. japhib

japhib

In my experience so far, you can get some cool effects (with custom shaders) with 2d stuff with using a Forward Renderer. BUT the 2d lights/shadows work exclusively with the 2d renderer.

3. yuanxing_cai

yuanxing_cai

Unity Technologies

At the moment, the 2D Renderer is for 2D lighting/shadows. If you don't need these, don't use the 2D Renderer. In the future though, we'll make the 2D Renderer the go-to choice for any 2D games.

interpol_kun likes this.
  4. alkaitagi

alkaitagi

@yuanxing_cai are there any plans to support this Blend Mode parameter on materials as well? Like the way I've described here.

upload_2020-1-15_15-37-8.png

5. yuanxing_cai

yuanxing_cai

Unity Technologies

We don't have a plan to support custom blend modes in Sprite materials. The blending between Sprites is a hardware fixed function (at least on desktop platforms), and there isn't much flexibility beyond what's described here.