Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug 2D Renderer draw straight to screen, even if there are custom passes after postprocesssing

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by Le_Tai, Mar 1, 2022.

1. Le_Tai

Le_Tai

In the Universal Renderer, if there are custom passes AfterPostProcess, the builtin post process pass will draw to _AfterPostProcessTexture instead of to the screen. The 2d renderer does not respect this, its postprocess pass will draw straight to the scene if FXAA is off.

This break my relatively popular asset, Translucent Image. I'm aware that hooking into the _AfterPostProcessTexture is not supported behavior. However, the supported _CameraColorTarget does not contain the post processed frame buffer. Being able to do processing on the "screen" after post processing is what users expect, and is something that was possible in Universal Renderer.

While this may be the intended behavior of the 2D renderer. It would be a simple change to make that would benefit a lot of users, I hope that you consider this.

2. Kandy_Man

Kandy_Man

Thought I was doing something wrong with my scriptable renderer feature but this is the exact issue I am facing, changing from after rendering to before post processing brings my effect back. Ticket raised (Case 1412686)

3. Le_Tai

Le_Tai

Glad to know I'm not alone. If they response to your ticket please let me know.

Kandy_Man likes this.
  4. Le_Tai

Le_Tai

@Kandy_Man Have you get any response on the issue?

5. Kandy_Man

Kandy_Man

@Le_Tai hey, sorry I couldn't find the thread to respond to. I got a response a couple of weeks ago saying they couldn't replicate the issue, and on the latest version of Unity with latest packages I also couldn't replicate it so it appears to be fixed to me

6. Le_Tai

Le_Tai

Thanks for the info. I asked because I just ran into it again in URP 13.1.8. The only newer versions I'm seeing are beta versions, are those what you tested with?

7. Kandy_Man

Kandy_Man

Looking at my git history I tested with Unity 2022.1.3f1 and URP 13.1.8 on June 14th and couldn't recreate it in the editor or in a build, neither could the guy at Unity using the shaders and materials I passed over. Might be worth raising another bug ticket if you're still seeing it with the latest releases

Le_Tai likes this.