Search Unity

Official 2D PSD Importer 7.0 released for Unity 2022.1

Discussion in '2D' started by rustum, Aug 26, 2022.

1. rustum

rustum

Unity Technologies

2D PSD Importer 7.0 released for Unity 2022.1
    2D PSD Importer 7.png

We’re glad to share that 2D PSD Importer 7.0 has been released with Unity 2022.1.

What’s new?
    • 2D PSD Importer now has support for importing files with the PSD file extension PSD Support.png
    • You can also control which layers to import from a Photoshop file by selecting them from a new tab in the PSD Importer inspector. Layer Import Control.png
    • We’ve also added the ability to set padding between sprites in mosaic mode. Mosaic Padding.png
    • Alongside this, we now provide a set of APIs for PSD Importer’s import settings.
    See the full 2D PSD Importer 7.0 changelog here.

About 2D PSD Importer
    The 2D PSD Importer is an Asset importer that imports Adobe Photoshop .psb files into Unity, and generates a Prefab of Sprites based on the imported source file. Read the complete documentation here. Read more in the 2D PSD Importer documentation.

Getting Started
    1. Install latest Unity 2022.1
    2. Start a new project with the 2D or 2D URP Template to install the latest major versions for 2D packages in 2022.1.
    What can you do?
    Try it out and let us know what you think of the additions and improvements. We want to know what works as expected, what doesn’t and what is missing.

mahdi_jeddi likes this.
  2. IgorArnaut

IgorArnaut

Can I make a PSB. file appear merged in Sprite Editor, but each layer separated and sliced into sprites, like this:

Locks_0, Locks_1, Locks_2, Locks_3
    Top_0
    , Top_1, Top_2, Top_3
    Bottom_0, Bottom_1, Bottom_2, Bottom_3
    Lock_0, Lock_1, Lock_2, Lock_3

3. Ted_Wikman

Ted_Wikman

Unity Technologies

I don't really follow what end result you are looking for, @IgorArnaut
    Could you expand on what you are trying to achieve?

4. IgorArnaut

IgorArnaut

Can I have a PSB be split into sprites per layer, but appear as a flattened image in Sprite Editor?

5. Urganot

Urganot

I think I found a bug:

I think it has something todo with the facat that it wont name the slices after the layers if you do the slicing in the sprite editor.
    As you can see, I can "fix" the issue by selecting another importer and reselecting PSD importer. But in this case all bones are gone.
    Also checking "Automatic Reslice" fixes it most of the time.

I am using Unity 2022.2.0b7 and the following packages:
    upload_2022-9-8_10-12-55.png

Another issue I observed was that I cant click any checkboxes in the PSD file Inspector.

6. Ted_Wikman

Ted_Wikman

Unity Technologies

7. Urganot

Urganot

Done

Ted_Wikman likes this.
  8. LorenzoNuvoletta

LorenzoNuvoletta

PSD Importer 7.0.1 and 7.0.2 is not working anymore on Unity 2022.1.14, 2022.1.15 and 2022.1.16

Attached Files:

9. Ted_Wikman

Ted_Wikman

Unity Technologies

10. bullettea

bullettea

I can't seem to log into the issuetracker for some reason...but it's also happening in 2021.3.9f1.

11. Ted_Wikman

Ted_Wikman

Unity Technologies

Thank you for the confirmation, @bullettea.
    We have landed a fix for Unity 2020.3.
    We are currently testing the same fix for 2021.3, 2022.1 and 2022.2.

bullettea likes this.
  12. Ted_Wikman

Ted_Wikman

Unity Technologies

FYI, yesterday we shipped PSD Importer 6.0.6, which fixes this issue for Unity 2021.3.

13. PenguinPotential

PenguinPotential

I have an interesting problem where I cannot click on the PSD Importer Inspector. I recently upgraded my project from 2020.2 to 2022.1. All of my previous PSB Animation Rigs are still working as before, the only difference being I cannot edit them in Inspector. Same with newly imported PSB/PSD files. Should I make a back-up and try reinstalling the PSD Importer package?

Edit: I saw the Tracker, I will be checking it periodically! Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2022
  14. LorenzoNuvoletta

LorenzoNuvoletta

Thanks Ted, any update for Version 7.x in Unity 2022.1?

15. Ted_Wikman

Ted_Wikman

Unity Technologies

The fix for Unity 2022.1 will be available in PSD Importer 7.0.3. This version will go live in a few days time, if everything goes according to plan.
    The fix for Unity 2022.2 & Unity 2023.1 will be available in PSD Importer 8.0.1. This version will most likely be available in a few weeks time.

I'll post a message here once the versions are available. If you urgently need the version, send me a DM and we can talk about how we can solve it.

Thank you for your patience, and sorry for the inconvenience caused.

16. PenguinPotential

PenguinPotential

How's it looking, friend? I'm eager to get back to work ^-^

LorenzoNuvoletta likes this.
  17. Foxaphantsum

Foxaphantsum

Fantastic plugin!

To improve normal map workflows for sprites is it possible to add a few things?

1) Normal map compress mode for sprites to enable normal map packing? Currently we are forced to use linear set none packed sprites for normal use. And can't use normal unpack.

2) The ability to tell a psb file to copy the sprite texture layout of another psb? That or the ability to assign a psb in the secondary texture slot of a sprite, and have it auto atlas like the parent texture.

This would help solving packing other data maps such as normal maps to follow the layout of the diffuse.

Currently as it stands, to use normal maps we are required use a separate psb and make sure the textures name, alpha size, and total exported textured match the diffuse so that they both pack the same. This can be tricky If the alpha is off a little. It's be nice to be able to just move and crop normal map textures based off it's name using the data from another texture (such as the diffuse)

Is this by any chance possible? It's tremendously help workflows.

Also does virtual textures work with sprites?

EvOne likes this.
  18. Ted_Wikman

Ted_Wikman

Unity Technologies

PSD Importer 7.0.3 is now available for Unity 2022.1, which contains the fix for the inspector.
    We are still performing tests for the 2022.2 & 2023.1 version of PSD Importer.

19. Ted_Wikman

Ted_Wikman

Unity Technologies

Thank you for your kind words, @Anisoft
    I'll add your feedback to our backlog of things to consider in future releases of PSD Importer.

Foxaphantsum likes this.
  20. Foxaphantsum

Foxaphantsum

Thank you, I appreciate it!

Ted_Wikman likes this.
  21. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

I upgraded 2D PSD Importer from 7.0.2 to 7.0.3 and it broke my game.
    I have Unity 2022.1.20f1 on Windows 10.

Check my pipe PSD.
    Its moved 40 pixels down and now all my animations aruined.
    How can I fast fix this?
    New Incident created: IN-20061.

Can I downgrade?

1.png 3.png 2.png

22. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

Yes, that's what source control is for. :)

23. Ted_Wikman

Ted_Wikman

Unity Technologies

Thank you for letting us know @giorgos_gs
    Like Melv said, your best course of action is to revert using source control to get back to a working state.
    Regarding your ticket, I had a quick look, and it is lacking any way for us to reproduce this issue. Without this crucial piece of information, we will not be able to help you with your issue. Would you mind having a second look at your bug report and add the missing information?
    Thanks!

24. fleity

fleity

I just tried installing the psd importer from the package manager in Unity 2022.1.4f1 and I am greeted by a bunch of errors like this one:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Library\PackageCache\com.unity.2d.common@7.0.3\Editor\InternalBridge\TexturePlatformSettings\TexturePlatformSettings.cs(147,23): error CS1061: 'TextureImportPlatformSettingsData' does not contain a definition for 'crunchedCompressionProperty' and no accessible extension method 'crunchedCompressionProperty' accepting a first argument of type 'TextureImportPlatformSettingsData' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
    This does not happen when you install the 2D feature package because it installs different versions than directly selecting the psd importer package.

The 2d feature package installs
    "com.unity.2d.common": {
    "version": "7.0.0"

"com.unity.2d.animation": {
    "version": "8.0.1",

"com.unity.2d.psdimporter": {
    "version": "7.0.0",

I know that 1.4f1 is not the most up to date sub version and I guess the issues might be related to that but apparently the 7.0.3 2d common and psdimporter packages don't work with this version. Therefore for anyone interested (as this didn't come up in any search) either specifying these numbers manually in the packages-lock.json and manifest.json or installing the 2d feature package are good workarounds.

25. Ted_Wikman

Ted_Wikman

Unity Technologies

Thank you for highlighting this issue and sharing your solution.
    If you look a few posts up, you will see this exact issue being discussed. The issue has now been fixed in all supported versions of Unity. My advice to anyone experiencing this issue is to upgrade the editor and its packages to their latest versions.

If you are curious about the bug, here is the bug ticket. The ticket is still marked as being "In Progress". This is because we haven't shipped our latest 2023.1 packages yet. If you are using Unity 2023.1, you will automatically use Unity 2022.2's 2D Packages, which has a fix for this issue.

26. fleity

fleity

@Ted_Wikman
    hi Ted, thanks for responding so quickly :). Yes this is discussed above but
    plus in the bug ticket it even says verified as fixed in 7.0.3 leads me to believe 7.0.3 should not cause these errors. However the default package installed by 2022.1.4f1 is 7.0.3 and it still causes issues. Soooo at least for this editor version (which is not 100% up to date, yes, but there are 12 other people working on the project, can't update on my own without pulling the entire team along first) the bug is not fixed?

27. Ted_Wikman

Ted_Wikman

Unity Technologies

In order to have the bug fixed, you need to update both the editor and the package. By just updating one of them, you will still have the issue.

fleity likes this.
  28. altepTest

altepTest

I've updated everything and still had the bug. Now for a really "lucky" event I've noticed this text hidden in the package manager. Like what the actual is this? it shows me that I have a certain version installed but the editor is using a different version. Who come up with this system? and why is not showing me the correct version that is used? Don't show me 7.0.3 if you use 7.0.2!! I really would love to talk with this developer.Find out what is in his head to include this showing a version but using another version

Ok, now what package is forcing the 7.0.2 instead of the 7.03? How do I figure this out and how do I get rid of it? It was too difficult to include what package is forcing this?

Annotation 2022-11-08 135914.png

This is unity version 2022.1.20f1 with the 2D 7 packages pack added

I have also.

Annotation 2022-11-08 140713.png

which of the above packages is the one that forces that package to not use the last version?

29. altepTest

altepTest

anyway, oh my god how I hate me doing this. here is a solution till they figure out how to untangle this mess.

click on the the "2D 7 packages tab shown above" click on the blue "Go to package view"

then click on the packages shown in the image bellow. use control to select all or do this for each one separately. click Unlock

01.png

then for each update to latest version as in image. unity will not gonna like it and throw a bunch of errors in the console. ignore them. they will go away once all three packages are updated

02.png

selecting the psb now works fine.

i just wanted to test something in unity and yet I'm back again working as beta tester and figuring out solutions.

30. Unrighteouss

Unrighteouss

Granted, this bug was present in LTS versions of Unity, but you are basically a tester if you're using non-LTS versions of Unity like 2022.1, and you're definitely going to run into more bugs.

However, I do agree that the new package manager is confusing (it's in 2021 LTS versions so it's not in testing). The "grouped" packages are really annoying to deal with, and I've only had headaches because of them. Updating packages isn't intuitive and was a pain to figure out.

For some reason, updating packages doesn't seem to update their dependencies anymore. I get a message saying "Changing a package that is part of a feature can lead to errors. Are you sure you want to proceed?" - this makes no sense, and this issue doesn't exist in 2020.3.

Something I used to like doing was deleting useless packages, but now that's a huge pain because they're grouped with useful packages.

This is the wrong place to complain about this, but we have to manually update 2D Animation and 2D PSD Importer so often that it may be kind of relevant haha.

31. Ted_Wikman

Ted_Wikman

Unity Technologies

Sorry to hear that you had such a tough time to get the latest fixes. It seems like most issues you encountered are related to Package Manager, and like Unrighteouss pointed out, highlighting them inside the PSD Importer release thread is not the best place to communicate these issues.

Better places for this feedback would be:

Unrighteouss likes this.
  32. altepTest

altepTest

I've downloaded the previous 2021 latest LTS version, was the same bug so I've uninstalled that one and tried the 2022 version, still the bug, then fortunately I've figured out a solution that works for me.

you are not protected against bugs if you use LTS.

LTS just means unity saying "we are done working on this, if something is really broken we will fix it eventually but we are moving to the next version"

not sure why people think LTS means is a polished product. Go figure.

33. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

It actually doesn't mean that at all. You're obviously entitled to your opinion but that's a negative spin.

What it does mean is that care is taken on what changes happen to this branch because introducing regressions in an LTS has consequences. Bugs in LTS can have a higher priority too as well as it being a commitment to actually fix bugs over a support period i.e. backport them all the way back to LTS version. Years ago there was no such commitment. Of course, yes, LTS does not mean bug free.

Every new version means moving to the next version; features are never backported. Internally, a released version isn't off the radar at all. This thread though is about a package which is outside of that, actually something to do with the package manager itself by the looks of it.

DragonCoder and Unrighteouss like this.
  34. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

Big respect to @MelvMay , @Ted_Wikman and other Unity devs for tolerating someone like deru, who does pretty much nothing but talk S*** about your work here around...

@dorusoftware Please stop provoking such a hostile atmosphere.

35. altepTest

altepTest

that is exactly what I wanted to say. My experience with unity was negative in the past two years. This doesn't apply to everyone else and I'm the first to recognize this, some have positive experience which is fine by me and I'm not annoyed by this. Not like other users here which don't like any criticism at all.

my "hostile behavior" as you called included,
    • finding an unexpected bug
    • searching forums, bugfix tracker suggest it was fixed.
    • downloading the "fixed" versions
    • didn't work
    • had no idea what is going on
    • got a lucky break and finding that the package manager will tell you that a version is installed but then it will use a different version, never knew about this and I'm using unity for 3 years.
    • pointing out this is really bad design.
    • providing solutions with screenshots for other users which had and will have this bug in the future.
    • linking my solution in the bug tracking page https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...n-selecting-a-psb-file-in-the-project-browser where different users appear to have the same thing I've had but didn't had the luck to find that the package manager hides the version it uses from you
    All the above while I'm really still quite angry with unity as a whole.

So if this is hostile from me. Go figure.

TwinCrab, EvOne and MelvMay like this.
  36. ViralArt

ViralArt

The Merge function in the Layer management tap is still fundamentally broken, as far as my testing goes
    "REDIZIT, Dec 31, 2021" posted about this problem way back,
    For more detail look at his post:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/2d-psd-importer-6-0-released-for-unity-2021-2.1187767/

Any news on this? BrokenMergeLogic.jpg

It would rly simplify the 2D workflow and logistics, and I would love to see a proper implementation of this

Update!
    Turns out it has been fixed!
    That was not clear looking at the change log.
    Did a test on a completely fresh/newest install and it works. 2022.1.23f1

Update 2x
    But now I see the invisible bug that people have been talking about. It likely was a real bug at some point, but what I ran into was a bit different.
    If multiple layers exceeds the original canvas size when merged the sprite is generated from the bottom most left pixel of those layers, and while it can merge into a wider sprite then the original canvas size, it will do so incorrectly. This is still the case if the offending layer is deactivated in the import settings
    This is most likely to happen if you have pixels outside of the canvas in photoshop for whatever reason.
    AvoidDoingThis.jpg

Last edited: Nov 22, 2022
  37. Upp000

Upp000

I just upgraded to the newest version of psd importer, and noticed that some characters look wrong, some part of their sprite are missing. I investigated the skinning editor and see that some geometry are not in the same position as I made them 7 months ago, they moved a little bit, so part of the sprite is hidden. This bug seems to be very inconsistent, because not all layers behave like this.
    The only good part is that it seems other people are also experiencing some issues. So I am not alone in this,

Last edited: Nov 21, 2022
  38. Upp000

Upp000

by saying newest version, I mean 6.0.6. That is the newest version shown in my package manager

39. Upp000

Upp000

I know the psb importer kinda arranges the psb layers in a way that has smaller file size. This might cause the rig to look different every time you upgrade the importing solution.
    Please make a import setting that is 100% safe and consistent. My file size is very small, so I don't need to optimize the layers arrangement.

40. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

The 2D team are already aware of this thread. I'm not a dev on this feature though and the quote above is unrelated to this feature.

41. Upp000

Upp000

Thanks for the fast reply. The most important thing is safety and consistency. Please fix it asap. New feature is not as important as that.
    I quoted your words because I wanted to @ you. I will use @ next time

42. Upp000

Upp000

@Ted_Wikman I upgraded psb importer from 6.0.5 to 6.0.6, I can open the sprite editor again but it changed the rig. Some geometry are not in the same position as I made them 7 months ago, they moved a little bit, so part of the sprite is hidden.

43. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

Please note you can edit your posts and tag different people in a single post. Making multiple posts just generates a lot of noise for everyone on this thread.

I won't do that because as I said, it's nothing to do with me. Fixes are always done ASAP. The 2D team has some of the lowest bug counts in all of Unity. We're on it.

The suggestion here is that we give new features a priority over fixing known bugs; that's simply not the case.

44. Upp000

Upp000

@Ted_Wikman @MelvMay Sorry, how do I roll back to previous version of psb importer? I only see 6.0.5 and 6.0.6, which have critical bugs(6.0.5 looks fine but can't open the sprite editor, 6.0.6 can open the sprite editor but the previous geometries are moved).
    Or how do I make it works again?

45. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

You should always be using source control for your project or in the very least, making manual backups before doing any kind of upgrading.

46. fleity

fleity

You can edit the manifest and packages-lock files Project\Packages\ with a text editor and replace the version number of the psb importer to the version you want. At the next refresh unity will load that version if possible.

47. Upp000

Upp000

I have many manual backups. But I haven't touched my 2d animation rigs for many months, I was working on other features. So when I updated my unity editor in the previous months, I didn't see any problem because the bug in psd importer 6.0.5 was only visible if I try to open the sprite editor.
    I notice the bug now because the bug in 6.0.6 is visible in my characters.

48. Upp000

Upp000

thanks!

49. Upp000

Upp000

@Ted_Wikman @MelvMay I just check psd importer 7.0.3 with unity 2022.1.23, and the geometry of my rigs are also moved.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2022
  50. altepTest

altepTest

I know is too late for some of the users here but one of the most important advice I can give, which I've learned the hard way, same as you.

never update a project if you don't have a backup, and never update if you don't have a reason to update.

Did a new feature is something you absolutely need? maybe an annoying bug was fixed? Then try to update.

But if all works fine, don't do it. Do not touch that project. Is already a miracle it works, don't push your luck