Search Unity

2D Platformer: Should I use a pre-made character controller?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by kalechips_, May 19, 2020.

1. kalechips_

kalechips_

I'm trying to make a 2D platformer in Unity, but almost all of the online tutorials simply drag in a pre-made 2D platformer script for all of their movement. Is this the norm for Unity? It's pretty bizarre to me, and I would imagine leads to a huge loss of control over movement. I'm new to Unity, but I come from Gamemaker Studio: 2 where I'm used to programming all of my movement manually, without integrated physics.

TL;DR what's the standard for creating character movement? Do people usually start with a pre-made script?

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

I agree with you. An off-the-shelf character controller is unlikely to do exactly what you need for your game. And they're not that hard; just write it yourself.

This article might have some good insights for you when you do.

3. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

Bear in mind that just because you pull in a ready-made character controller now doesn't mean you have to use it forever. If the aspect of your game that you want to focus on is something other than the raw platforming and movement-feel, then using something ready-made might help you get to those other aspects more quickly, and you can always come back and swap it out later for something more polished.

JoeStrout likes this.