Search Unity

2D pixel size ?

Discussion in '2D' started by Arzacks, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Arzacks

Arzacks

Hello,

I am creating my first 2D app with unity and i'm doing it "pixel mode".
    I have several questions to ask to the community !

1) I am creating my own pixel characters and backgrounds ect... But i don't really know how many pixels i should use for the width and height of my character to look good on a phone screen. Or should i just use a square brush on photoshop or else to make it look as if it was made out of real size pixels ?

2) Can i code in C# if I want to put my game on Android ? Or is it only JAVA for Android ?

3) Is there a pixel mode in unity ?

Thank you for reading, and i apologies for my not so good english !

JoeStrout likes this.
  2. mgear

mgear

2) Yes, can use c# for any platform (can make native android plugins with java if needed)
    3) there is 2D mode, press key 2 or this button in scene window (so its easier to move in scene with locked 2D view),
    and also there is Orthographic mode for camera.
    upload_2017-9-15_20-5-36.png

upload_2017-9-15_20-9-26.png

You'll also want to search about unity pixel perfect camera, so that pixels are the same size, even if screen size is different.

Arzacks likes this.
  3. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

The best way to answer this is to prototype it. Just make (or download) some pixel-art characters, transfer them to your phone, and see how they look.

Keep in mind that modern phones have ridiculously high resolutions — humans can't actually see the pixels anymore. So if you like the pixel art style, you will need to fake it by intentionally using a lower resolution than the phone supports. (As we did with Rocket Plume, though even there the pixels we used were a bit small.)

Arzacks likes this.
  4. Arzacks

Arzacks

Ok, thaks for all !
    I got it now :)

5. Arzacks

Arzacks

Actualy, JoeStrout can you explan very quickly what you mean by prototype it ? It's not very clear in my head .

6. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

I mean:
    1. Make or find some 2D pixel-art characters.
    2. Transfer these to your phone (because you said you want them to look good on a phone screen), for example using DropBox.
    3. View them on your phone.
    4. If you think they're too big, repeat this process, but make them smaller. If you think they're too small, make them bigger.

7. Arzacks

Arzacks

Oh okaay got it, well thanks a lot, have a good day !