Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

2d physics gravity

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by dmoney, Jan 10, 2015.

1. dmoney

dmoney

When I converted my game to unity 5 I get really strange behaviour with gravity. Instead of the player and other objects falling straight down it's like they are magnetically attracted to other nearby objects. And falling objects can fall in almost any direction even completely sideways.

Anyone else seeing this? has the way we implement gravity changed in 5?

2. Vibs_appit

Vibs_appit

The 4.x cycle uses Physx 2.8, while 5.x has been updated to Physx 3.3. I have ported my project from 4.6 to 5 recently, and the wheels colliders were completely changed in implementation... but I don't think the gravity has been changed. To get more info about changes, go through the upgrade guide. Maybe that will have what you missed.
    It's a hassle to port to 5, but for 3d projects, it's definitely worth it. For 2d, I'd suggest sticking with 4.6 as there isn't a lot happening in the realm of 2d in 5 betas atm.

3. dmoney

dmoney

Thanks for the response. I checked the upgrade guide but nothing there seems to explain what I'm seeing with my application. it's almost as if the new effectors are active on all my objects even though I don't have effectors turned on. it seems like all objects in my game are attracted to all other objects in the game.

At any rate I think I'll take your advice and stick with 4.6 for now.