Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Official 2D Path Package deprecated from 2022.1 onwards

Discussion in '2D Experimental Preview' started by rustum, Mar 3, 2022.

1. rustum

rustum

Unity Technologies

2D Path Package Deprecation
    The 2D Path package (com.unity.2d.path) will be deprecated from Unity 2022.1 onwards. The last supported version will be Unity 2021.2 (and therefore Unity 2021.3 LTS as well).

What can you do?
    If you have been using the Path package to create splines, we strongly suggest you check out the Spline package that is currently in preview and give feedback to shape the package. This will help us consolidate our efforts in one place.

2. Baste

Baste

SpriteShape has a dependency on com.unity.2d.path. What will be happening there?

We have built some spline tools that heavily loans from SpriteShape's spline implementation. Will SpriteShape be ported to use the Spline package, or will SpriteShape have a local copy of the path code?

NotaNaN likes this.
  3. Leo-Yaik

Leo-Yaik

Unity Technologies

@Baste Are you able to share with us what have you built and how are you using the path package? You can DM me for more in depth conversation.

4. Baste

Baste

Sure, I'll send a PM.

We're probably shipping on 2021 (if not on 2020), so I doubt it'll effect us, but if the Spline package is better, then I'd be happy to switch over anyway as the spline editing in com.unity.2d.path is a bit painful!

NotaNaN likes this.
  5. Baste

Baste

Well, when I try to start a PM with you I just get:

upload_2022-3-4_9-16-9.png

So I started a conversation with @rustum and invited you to it. Hope that works!

6. NotaNaN

NotaNaN

I am also using SpriteShape for one of my projects and am interested what the deprecation of
    com.unity.2d.path
    means for SpriteShape — if anything.