Search Unity

2d or 3d?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by TechHead404, Jun 14, 2019.

1. TechHead404

TechHead404

Starting work on a new game. Ill try to explain without giving much about the actual game away. So in a nutshell you are shooting a stream of water into a target. With physics close to Paper Toss. It could be done in 2d but it would take a lot of work to give the feel of depth when hitting a target from a long distance. It would work nice in 3d but then I would have to add a arch to the water and that's a variable that would have to be automatic. I think my main problem is I have only done 2d games. So I have to step out of my comfort zone. Now that I am typing this out and reading it 3d is really my only option. Unless someone knows something I don't. Where is a good starting point to learn 3d art and physics.

2. TechHead404

TechHead404

The movement of the water stream is going to be on the x and y axis. You are just trying to keep it in a certain area like a ring or cup. That's why I feel 3d would be overkill since I don't plan on using the z axis.

3. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

Go with the simplest approach that satisfies the essential needs for the project.

Know precisely what the goal for the project is.

The question, "this would be hard to implement, but is it harder than x?" is bad question. It presumes that your motivation/laziness are the driving factors. If they are, just stop now, save yourself the trouble.

Better question, "What is the goal for this project?" Develop key skills to help you get a job? Build a resume? Produce a marketable game? Have fun in the evenings?

Second question, "How much time?" This is the only serious question needing answered. All others fall under it. Maybe 3d takes more time for you to learn because unfamiliarity. Do you have the time to invest? Or not? Does goal of the project necessitate 3d?

If you don't have strong estimate based on experience for how long learning/implementing something knew will take, make your best estimate and multiple by three. Usually that's just about right for myself. Then, test. Don't go full into production without thorough testing first. Make a mockup of the full project to work out the big unknowns before you sink serious time.

4. TechHead404

TechHead404

Good points. And I strongly feel that if your comfortable with what your doing your not trying hard enough. I guess my main hang-up is the un-needed z axis. I might need to do a basic build in both and actually see which works better. Thanks for the callout on being lazy. Making games solo makes it easy to get into your own head.

5. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

make a stupid simple prototype then ask yourself if you're having fun messing with it.

tylerguitar75 and Joe-Censored like this.
  6. tylerguitar75

tylerguitar75

Tim Ferriss first rule of success: "Lower your standards."

Not for the end product, but for getting started. Throw something against the wall and go from there. Otherwise you might never do anything.