Search Unity

2D or 3D?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by dougyuri, Dec 9, 2015.

1. dougyuri

dougyuri

Hello everyone!

I'm just starting with Unity and have a game idea in mind for mobile. The game style will be like Yuu Yuu Hakusho Tokubetsu Hen of SNES, you know? But I'm not sure about starting with 2D or 3D development study. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

2. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

For just being easier from the art side of things I'd recommend going with 2D, unless your a great 3D artist or pay one. Good luck!

dougyuri likes this.
  3. dougyuri

dougyuri

Thanks for the reply MD_Reptile!

I'll face some trouble in art design no matter 2D or 3D choice :D. Anyway, in mechanical and development terms, which is better for this style of game?

4. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

In Unity, there is virtually no difference in the development. And though I don't know this game, from some quick browsing of images, it looks to me like 2D would work fine. You can just use stick figure stand-ins as you hammer out the development.

Honestly, if you're just starting in Unity, it's too early to be asking this question anyway. You should instead be asking, "What can I make today?" Something like this:
    • What can I make today? Well, let's see, I have nothing.
    • Well, where can I get something? Maybe OpenGameArt.org? (Go browse.)
    • Hey, here's a neat little character. I'll download him.
    • OK, now how can I make something with this in Unity? I'll drag it into a project and see what happens.
    • Um, it's a texture. Why is it a texture and not a sprite? (Go watch introductory 2D videos again.)
    • Ah, OK, I have to change the import type to Sprite. Ooh, and now I see the sprite editor! (Carve up the image into a sprite sheet.)
    • OK, now I have sprites, how do I get one into the scene? (Try dragging it in.)
    • Cool, my character appears on screen now! How can I make him move? (Go read this article.)
    • Awesome, I now have a character jumping around the screen! That was fun!
    • Now I want to do something completely different. Hmm. That JoeStrout dude was super helpful, I think I'll go buy his PixelSurface asset and make something fun with that! :D
    And repeat this process as you level up your skills, making bigger and better mini-projects that gradually get more and more like the dream game you have in your head. Along the way, you may stumble into something so cool you decide to pursue it to completion. Or you may not. But either way, you'll have a lot of fun and learn a ton, so that when you eventually do tackle your Yuu Yuu Hakusho game, you'll know exactly how to proceed!

Good luck,
    - Joe

P.S. If you decide to make a game in Japanese, please contact me... I have code to draw furigana above the kanji, and would love to help!

5. dougyuri

dougyuri

Hey JoeStrout!

I really want to give a try to the game I have in mind, but you're right. First I need to put my shoes and take the first steps in Unity. The question is, I start from 2D or 3D tutorials? I may be wrong, but they follow two totally different ways of development.

I hope I can use your PixelSurface asset in future ;). And no, I don't intend to make a game in Japanese.

Sorry for the bad English, it's not my first language.

Thanks so much for the feedback!

6. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

No, 2D and 3D are not totally different — in fact in Unity they're almost the same. It honestly doesn't matter much which tutorials you start with. 95% of what you learn will apply to both.

And your English isn't bad at all; I've seen native speakers who do worse! Out of curiosity, what is your first language?

dougyuri likes this.
  7. dougyuri

dougyuri

Minha língua principal é o português. It's Portuguese.

JoeStrout likes this.
  8. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Just for the sake of the discussion, I found this:

This looks definitely 2D.

First - I agree with @JoeStrout: You need to learn some Unity and you need to learn your strengths, weaknesses and your resources (eg: Asset Store).

Then I'd ask:
    • Do you want to make an homage or tribute to Yuu Yuu Hakusho Tokubetsu Hen ?? If you do, then go 2D and use pixel art and see what cool retro thing you can make...
    OR ...
    • Do you want to make a 1v1 fighting game? In that case, the sky is the limit. You can pick and choose base on what you like and what you are good at.

dougyuri likes this.
  9. dougyuri

dougyuri

Thanks for reply @Adam Buckner!

Yep, that's the game!

I don't want to make a tribute to that game neither a fighting game. Indeed, I want to make a card game where the battles between cards will be shown like that.

10. dougyuri

dougyuri

11. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Ah - if you want to make a card game, then that does sound like 2D and / or the UI system. If you want to see the cards flip and move in 3D space, there may be a call for 3D assets in the end, but that's a style question.

dougyuri likes this.