Search Unity

Question 2D or 3D? I'm not sure

Discussion in '2D' started by SoundStormLabs, May 31, 2023.

1. SoundStormLabs

SoundStormLabs

I'm just starting out learning programming for mobile development as a graphic and audio designer and returned back to Unity. I'd like to learn some basic coding for a hybrid 2D/3D game project, so I'm not entirely sure how I should start off.

I'd like to build 3D models which have limited 3D features, such as rotation and environmental interactions for instance, but with the game mostly locked into a 2D plane, like an old flash platformer in that sense.

So, when I'm creating a new Unity project like this, is starting out in 2D or 3D better?

2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

There is only Unity3D. The concept of a project in 2D or 3D is simply a toggle box you can flip at any time in the editor preferences.

I suggest you thunder forth and start trying lots and lots and lots of different things, both 2D and 3D. Start small, make cute little fun interactive toys. Throw them away, remake them better, etc.

Imphenzia: How Did I Learn To Make Games:

3. Lo-renzo

Lo-renzo

Your project sounds 3D to me. By that I mean, it would be inappropriate to start with the Unity 2D template within Unity Hub. And use 3D colliders. Genre-wise it could be classified as "2.5D" but that overbroad term doesn't have bearing on the implementation.

4. AngryProgrammer

AngryProgrammer

There is no problem to have a 3D game that looks like 2D. It's only one switch on the camera from perspective to orthographic.

5. Xiangting_Su

Xiangting_Su

Unity Technologies

Yes! Sounds like you are making a 3D game with 2D gameplay similar to this 2.5D example mentioned in the Unity Blog, Difference Between 2D, 3D and 2.5D Games.

Seems like it'll be easier for you if you started in a 3D template. Don't worry, if you ever do change your mind, you could go to your Project Settings and do a quick toggle to change the Default Behavior Mode from 3D to 2D.

Some of the more obvious differences you'll see when starting in a 3D template are:
    • The Scene View is set to 3D.
      • For your old flash platformer game, you might want to toggle it to 2D in the Scene View.
    • The camera is set to be Perspective. (In 2D Mode it is Orthographic.)
      • You might want to set it to Orthographic in your Camera Inspector too.
    • Any images you import are not assumed to be 2D images (Sprites).
      • This might be better for you since you'll be creating 3D models so you would likely want to keep the images as textures for your materials.
      • Though you can easily change a texture into a Sprite in the Texture Importer Inspector by changing the Texture Type from Default to Sprite (2D and UI) and then hit Apply.
    • 2D packages aren't installed by default but you can easily install the entire 2D Feature Set in a click in the Package Manager.
    • And other differences as detailed in this very helpful 2D and 3D mode settings guide.
    Happy creating! :)

Mikaelan likes this.