Search Unity

2D or 3d for beginners

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Ceciphar, Mar 15, 2018.

?

3d or 2d

1. 3d

33.3%
  2. 2d

66.7%
  1. Ceciphar

Ceciphar

I am looking for what game I should I start for beginners( I hace done my research but my question is still not answered)

About me -
    I will be able go spend at least 5 hours a day
    And I am in no hurry to release a game

The main art I was to use for 2d is pixel art and low poly for 3d.

Coding is not too hard for me.

I want to be able to make a decent prototype in at least 3 weeks (5 if needed)

Thats it please tell me if you need more information

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Which tutorials have you done? How did they go? What did you do to extend them further?

Bill_Martini likes this.
  3. mathiasj

mathiasj

I guess the main thing to consider is whether you can create 2D or 3D art more easily. On the coding side, 3D is not that different from 2D - well, you have one more dimension to take care of, but Unity fortunately handles all the complex math for you.
    Another thing that comes into play is game design. In 2D, you are of course somewhat limited compared to 3D. However, you can for example also decide to create a 3D game that only really uses two dimension (e.g. a top-down perspective or a "2.5D" sidescroller). If your game design needs the extra dimension, you have to go with 3D; otherwise I would personally go for the number of dimension with which you are more comfortable creating art for.

Ceciphar and JoeStrout like this.
  4. Bill_Martini

Bill_Martini

I agree with @JoeStrout. Even if you're a seasoned developer, but new to Unity, you should do several tutorials. Most of them have tip and tricks included that are indispensable for developing a swift workflow using Unity.

5. Ceciphar

Ceciphar

I used the unity beginner scripting video and roll a ball tutorial.

C# is my firts language by the way and I hamave been learning it for the past month

6. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

OK, so you're off to a good start. But before you plunge into your own game from scratch, I suggest you do more tutorials. There are a lot of really good ones, including the new 'Swords and Shovels' tutorial I've heard good things about. These will level up your skills a lot faster than struggling on your own at this stage. When you want to stretch yourself, take one of those tutorials further: add new enemies, new game mechanics, whatever. You'll quickly discover what you do and don't understand that way.

In case it's not clear, programming (and other parts of game development) is a skill. It's not something that somebody shows you how to do, and then you're like, "OK, I know how to do that now." It's more like playing the violin. It takes practice and will be difficult for a long time, but you'll get better and better the more you do it. (It's also incredibly rewarding.)

So, expect to spend years getting good at these skills, and enjoy the journey!

DocJ likes this.
  7. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

Hello and welcome.

Okay, your question is a tough one to answer.
    But, between 2d and 3d, which one do you like more?

8. Ceciphar

Ceciphar

3d for programming and 2d for art work

9. orb

orb

The answer is "yes". You need that as the third option.

If you need animated models:
    2D: Sprite sheets are the main thing. Animating those might seem daunting, but for some styles making multi-part sprites and skeletally animating in Anima might be easiest. If this suits you, go 2D.
    3D: You need rigged models and some animations. Easy enough to get the animations, even free ones, for all sorts of combat and even mundane actions (see the CMU collection of thousands of "boring" things). If you have, can create or find asset store models you can use, this becomes the easiest choice.

If you don't need animated models, just any models and some particle effects (like in a shoot 'em up), it's only a matter of getting simple models or sprites and both 2D and 3D are more or less the same. You can prototype a SHMUP in hours with a little knowledge and effort.

Ceciphar likes this.
  10. Ceciphar

Ceciphar

Thank you all so much.

Is it possible to use 2d sprites in 3d like in doom? If so can you please send a tutorial?

( I went with the decision of 3d with 2d sprites)

11. mathiasj

mathiasj