Search Unity

2D NavMeshAgent will not move straight up or down and other strange behavior

Discussion in 'Navigation' started by Paily, Apr 19, 2022.

1. Paily

Paily

Hi all,

I'm trying to implement 2D click-to-move player movement with pathfinding from NavMeshPlus. At first, it seemed to work fairly well out of the box, but I'm now noticing that if I try to move directly up or down (along the Y axis, where X axis stays exactly the same), my character doesn't budge.

For context, the reason I'm running into this with click-based movement (which normally wouldn't produce an X diff of exactly 0), is that I'm converting the click position to the center of a grid cell to implement a sort of grid-based movement (might be a dumb idea, but that's what I was trying out at least.

Specifically, this seems to be true within a range of about 3.5 units along the Y axis. I say that because if I click further up or down the Y axis, the character seems to begin to move directly up or down and then stops about 3.5 units from wherever I clicked.

In writing this, I noticed something even stranger that makes me think I'm really doing something wrong - the thing about moving within 3.5 units is only true if I have my character object selected in the Hierarchy while playtesting - if I have another object selected, the character doesn't seem to move at all, or budges slightly (again, only if I'm moving directly along the Y axis, any other movement is fine), and then will move within the 3.5 units once I re-select my character object in the hierarchy. In fact, if I try to move along the Y axis and randomly click between objects in my hierarchy the character seems to budge slightly each time. I have no idea why clicking different objects in my hierarchy would have any effect on the play test itself - I'm brand new to Unity but I would have thought such a thing wouldn't even be possible.

My stripped down player controller code (I commented pretty much everything else out):

Code (CSharp):
    2. void Start()
    3.     {
    4.         rigidbody2d = GetComponent<Rigidbody2D>();
    5.         animator = GetComponent<Animator>();
    6.         audioSource = GetComponent<AudioSource>();
    7.         agent = GetComponent<NavMeshAgent>();
    9.         agent.updateRotation = false;
    10.         agent.updateUpAxis = false;
    11.     }
    13. void Update()
    14.     {
    15.         if(Input.GetMouseButtonDown(0))
    16.         {
    17.             // Gets coordinates of click, then coordinates of clicked cell, then center of clicked cell
    18.             targetPosition = Camera.main.ScreenToWorldPoint(Input.mousePosition); // World coordinates of click
    19.             Vector3Int cellPosition = grid.WorldToCell(targetPosition); // Cell coordinates of click ((4, 1) etc.)
    20.             targetPositionGrid = grid.GetCellCenterWorld(cellPosition); // Coordinates of center of cell ((4.5, 1.5) if cellPosition is (4, 1))
    21.             agent.SetDestination(targetPositionGrid);
    22.     }

Last edited: Apr 19, 2022
  2. Totalschaden

Totalschaden

Just ran into exactly this, did you manage to fix it ?