Search Unity

2d navmesh support?

Discussion in 'Navigation' started by enzoravo, Apr 3, 2017.

1. enzoravo

enzoravo

hi, i saw a thread two months a go where someone told that the new unity3d 5.6 will came out with navmesh support for 2d games (side scrollers).

now that the unity3d 5.6 was release, i just installed it, but i don't see any change.

there is a guide, doc or tuto that shows how to use navmesh agent in 2d games ?

thanks in advance for all the help.

2. Jakob_Unity

Jakob_Unity

We're working support for extracting 2d colliders as input to building navmesh.
    For now - If you have a mesh-representation of the 2d colliders it's possible to pass these meshes to the low level navmesh build API.

3. enzoravo

enzoravo

thank you for the answer, i prefer to wait for the 2d support, in the mean time i will be working on others areas of the game.

thanks for the information.

4. Andreu-Accensi

Andreu-Accensi

I was looking for the same. Is this low level API able to handle mesh representation on the XY plane? Top down 2d games need this so badly. Can you also point us where there are manuals about the low level API?

5. Lechuza

Lechuza

I am also interested in this, where should I start looking into the low level API to extend/implement something like this?

6. Jakob_Unity

Jakob_Unity

Yes - There's an example of this in the github repos, the NavMeshSurface component source. There's no manual for the low level API - but we do have the scripting API reference – e.g. : https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/AI.NavMeshBuilder.BuildNavMeshData.html

bowserscastle and AntonioModer like this.
  7. darthbator

darthbator

Has anyone from the community looked into this any further. I spent a little time checking out the NavMeshSurfaceComponent but I gotta admit this is definitely above my head. Is there a chance this might be landing in Unity 2017? I'm trying to decide if it's worth just waiting on beta support or if I should just integrate A* and possibly redo my pathfinding later.

8. Soumya

Soumya

Hi, any update on this?

9. Vinnie711

Vinnie711

Hi,I use API https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/AI.NavMeshBuilder.BuildNavMeshData.html and there is error
    PPtr cast failed when dereferencing! Casting from EdgeCollider2D to Mesh!
    UnityEngine.AI.NavMeshBuilder:UpdateNavMeshData(NavMeshData, NavMeshBuildSettings, List`1, Bounds)
    in my 2D game.
    I follow your github project https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/NavMeshComponents, this is only work on 3D game.....
    Is there any manual for 2D NavMesh?

10. Jap

Jap

So a year has passed, are you guys still working on this feature?

11. vhman

vhman

12. Green11001

Green11001

Is it here yet

13. Aykutkaraca

Aykutkaraca

Waiting for this too. Has it been introduced in 2018 meet-up?

vhman likes this.
  14. daniel3daniel

daniel3daniel

Hi! Are there any plans for official 2D Navmesh support in 2019?

quans1, wlwl2 and vhman like this.