Search Unity

2D NavMesh PathFinding......

Discussion in '2D' started by Vinnie711, Nov 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bikmoped

bikmoped

Hi vhman,
    The LayerMask support is working perfectly thanks man !
    However I think something is wrong in your last commit "added NavMeshBuilder2d - geometry form sprite mesh".
    I simply replaced the folder NavMeshComponent (the same way I did with the previous commits) and then when I tried to play on Unity the NavMeshSurface wasn't working anymore. The bake function looks broken. I tried a few tricks to make it work but I didn't manage.

2. vhman

vhman

Do you have errors or bake just doesn't do anything?
    Changes I made, ignores tilemap collider, now you should use navmeshmodifier override area option on tilemap.
    Also it now depends on sprites shape and not a grid. I'm working on grid implementation now.
    Give me some details, maybe I have some flaw in code.

New update - Override By Grid flag. It determines what to use, sprites or provided grid mesh
    Code reference:
    Code (CSharp):
    1.   if (tile == Tile.ColliderType.Sprite && !builder.overrideByGrid) //use sprite as source
    2.   else if (builder.useMeshPrefab != null && builder.overrideByGrid) //use provided mesh
    3.   else //default to source shape Box

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  3. vhman

vhman

4. alkaitagi

alkaitagi

@Sharlatan Hello! I wanted to try your project, but immediately ran into an exception. Do you have any idea what causes this?

Code (CSharp):
    1. ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
    3. Parameter name: index
    4. System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException (System.ExceptionArgument argument, System.ExceptionResource resource) (at <3a07e6401b5d4cc98f7be596cb2130ba>:0)
    5. System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException () (at <3a07e6401b5d4cc98f7be596cb2130ba>:0)
    6. System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T].get_Item (System.Int32 index) (at <3a07e6401b5d4cc98f7be596cb2130ba>:0)
    7. NavMeshSurface2DBaker.Triangulator.TriangulateConcaveOrConvexPolygon (System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] vertices) (at Assets/NavMeshSurface2DBaker/Scripts/Triangulation/Triangulator.cs:111)
    8. NavMeshSurface2DBaker.MeshFromPolygonCreator.CreateBaseMesh (UnityEngine.Vector2[] polygonPoints) (at Assets/NavMeshSurface2DBaker/Scripts/MeshCreation/MeshFromPolygonCreator.cs:71)
    9. NavMeshSurface2DBaker.MeshFromPolygonCreator.CreateMesh (UnityEngine.Vector2[] polygonPoints, UnityEngine.Vector3 positionOfColliderPointsBelongTo, UnityEngine.Transform parentToAttachTemporaryObjectsTo) (at Assets/NavMeshSurface2DBaker/Scripts/MeshCreation/MeshFromPolygonCreator.cs:34)
    10. NavMeshSurface2DBaker.Surface2DBaker.ProcessCompositeColliders (UnityEngine.GameObject objectContainingObstacles, UnityEngine.Transform parentToAttachTemporaryObjectsTo) (at Assets/NavMeshSurface2DBaker/Scripts/NavMesh/Surface2DBaker.cs:125)
    11. NavMeshSurface2DBaker.Surface2DBaker.CreateMeshes () (at Assets/NavMeshSurface2DBaker/Scripts/NavMesh/Surface2DBaker.cs:74)
    12. NavMeshSurface2DBaker.Editor.Surface2DBakerEditor.Bake () (at Assets/NavMeshSurface2DBaker/Scripts/Editor/Surface2DBakerEditor.cs:37)
    13. NavMeshSurface2DBaker.Editor.Surface2DBakerEditor.OnInspectorGUI () (at Assets/NavMeshSurface2DBaker/Scripts/Editor/Surface2DBakerEditor.cs:26)
    14. UnityEditor.UIElements.InspectorElement+<CreateIMGUIInspectorFromEditor>c__AnonStorey1.<>m__0 () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorElement.cs:440)

5. alkaitagi

alkaitagi

@Sharlatan Here is the object's configuration:
    upload_2019-2-25_23-25-6.png upload_2019-2-25_23-25-47.png

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  6. vhman

vhman

Hi,

it is not addressed to me, but rotation seems odd. It should -90 or 270 for default swizzle.

Sorry, didn't saw exception problem. Skip it.
    The problem with polygon. You should look at https://www.habrador.com for details,
    maybe it doesn't work for holes or something. Try to debug in VS.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  7. alkaitagi

alkaitagi

@vhman unfortunately having the same index exception with both -90 and 270 degrees.

8. alkaitagi

alkaitagi

@vhman I tried you solution also, but having another kind of error here: it seems to work nice with rectangular shapes aligned to axis (on the left side), but with collider surfaces rotated by 45 degrees it is inaccurate.
    upload_2019-2-26_0-47-34.png

9. alkaitagi

alkaitagi

10. alkaitagi

alkaitagi

upload_2019-2-26_0-52-22.png this is more detailed look. Have I configured component in a wrong way?

11. vhman

vhman

Hey, map looks interesting. Also it should work with diagonals, as now its uses Sprite Mesh. But I didn't tested on complex shapes. if you will share few sprites I can take a look if it capable of.

12. alkaitagi

alkaitagi

Assuming you have unity2d extras for tilemap installed, here is palette and the tile itself

Attached Files:

13. vhman

vhman

Thank you for sharing. If you use Override By Grid it will use boxes for "outlining", but if I disable it, I see an issue that anything with rotation will be skipped.

Thank you for sharing and feedback. I will fix it in few days.

14. alkaitagi

alkaitagi

So right now it just always considers a tile to have strictly square collider?

15. alkaitagi

alkaitagi

Here is another issue that when Override by Grid is false it creates such weird gaps right in the middle of walkable areas.
    upload_2019-2-26_1-27-16.png

16. vhman

vhman

Yes, override by grid, means use grid instead of sprite. If override is not checked it will use sprite "shape". But as I said, it has an issue
    upload_2019-2-26_0-29-1.png

17. alkaitagi

alkaitagi

I see now, thank you very much for a quick reply. Looking forward for this issue to be fixed.

18. vhman

vhman

Hey @TiredOfCoding,

I have found issue. Translate first, and than rotate. Code is updated.
    Here is the reference code:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. src.transform = Matrix4x4.Translate(tilemap.GetCellCenterWorld(vec3int)) * tilemap.GetTransformMatrix(vec3int);

19. alkaitagi

alkaitagi

20. alkaitagi

alkaitagi

Seriously, do you have sort of a roadmap for this project? I can see how a lot of people would benefit from it. And I myself would like to contribute to the project as much as I could, although right now I'm just a little familiar with the navigation system.

21. vhman

vhman

I have no big plans, but there is few feature to implement:
    1. Generate mesh for Override By Grid from sprite - 90% complete
    2. Generate mesh for Override By Grid from Grid - 0% complete
    3. Ability to bake walkable modifiers with unwalkable default area - 0% (the first thing TODO on this weekend)
    4. Bake from physics (colliders) - 5% complete

Now I need feedback to know should I spend my time on it. And you give me one, thanks.

22. alkaitagi

alkaitagi

Does the 3rd task mean that we would no longer need to attach area modifier to the tilemap? And does the 4th one mean that it would be possible to generate navmesh from other non-tilemap 2d colliders like a circle or a box?

23. vhman

vhman

3rd - partially; 4th - yes

PS NavMesh obstacles and volumes are supported

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  24. alkaitagi

alkaitagi

Could you clarify how the 3rd would be partially supported?

25. vhman

vhman

26. alkaitagi

alkaitagi

Did you only change Area Type to Walkable, or there was some more work?

27. Sharlatan

Sharlatan

@TiredOfCoding Hey there! Sorry, I missed your ping to me and only saw the message now.
    I see you're using vhman's solution now, which is great :)

Nevertheless, if there's a bug in my project, I'd like to fix it of course! Unfortunately, I can't reproduce your error in my GitHub demo, though.
    If you'd still happen to have the problematic scene in question (or reproduce it) and provide it to me so I can investigate it, I would be very happy!

Thank you very much and have a nice day!

28. alkaitagi

alkaitagi

@Sharlatan Have you tried to build tilemap geometry using assets in cavern.zip I sent a few posts above?

29. Sharlatan

Sharlatan

@TiredOfCoding Already got that and admittedly spent a good half hour or so trying to get that to work in one of my projects. That was why I was asking, because it would be way easier to get a small demo project that's already set up :D

30. alkaitagi

alkaitagi

Sure, I'll set up a small demo over the weekend. Thank you for the effort.

31. Sharlatan

Sharlatan

Thank you very much! But only if it's not too much trouble! :)
    Sorry, I couldn't get it to work! Or at least I don't think I did. All I could get out of the assets was this and it doesn't look like your cave at all..

Currently I really can't say what's the problem. The code would probably not be able to handle non simple polygons (polygons with e.g. a hole in the middle) but if yo use a Unity tile map, you shouldn't have any non simple polygons, as far as I'm aware.

Well, anyway. It would be highly appreciated if you find the time to put up a demo project and if not, it's ok too, of course! :)

Have a nice day!

32. alkaitagi

alkaitagi

Do you think the fact that I use 2019.1 beta could cause an issue?
    Also, try it with non-rectangular tiles.

33. Sharlatan

Sharlatan

Tested some more and managed to get the error as well. Indeed, in some cases with very complex geometry, the composite 2d colliders seem to create some non simple polygons or mix up the order of the outline or.. I don't know yet.

Honestly, with vhman developing such a good solution and mine being good enough for my simple cases, I probably won't investigate how to fix this, since it might take anything from a few hours to a few days. Unless, someone really, really needs it but I'd suggest to use vhman's solution anyway ;)

So, you of course don't have to provide me an example anymore but your help is really highly appreciated, thanks very much once again!

34. alkaitagi

alkaitagi

Alright then, I will stick with vhman's solution since it works perfectly for me. Good luck with Devils of the Sea!

35. SuperFranTV

SuperFranTV

I have a Tilemap2DCollider and 2 Tilemaps, first the Ground with Walls and Second some Objects.
    It ignores the Objects but i have on both types the NavMeshModify Component and Override Area activated.

But why?

36. vhman

vhman

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  37. vhman

vhman

Oh, I didn't saw the "Objects" is also tilemap tiles. The problem can be in Z axis. All maps should be flash to mavmesh, like (x: *, y: *, z: 0). If its not a problem, share your navmesh and modofiers settings. You cam use personal massages if you want

38. SuperFranTV

SuperFranTV

All Transforms are "0, 0, 0" i use two Tilemaps (one for the Ground and Walls, one for other Objects), but it only uses the first Tilemap..

39. SuperFranTV

SuperFranTV

It worked when i change the Tile Anchor Z to the same as the other, you can make some changes -> On Build all Z Anchors are ignored.

Next i changed is, the Agent Radius to 0.1, High to 0.3 and step High to 1

Sry for bad english i'am from Germany.

40. SuperFranTV

SuperFranTV

So next Problem: My Agent won't move if i set agent.destination.

41. vhman

vhman

Hi,

Z anchor still elevates tiles, so their position is not flash with NavMesh as required. It would be difficult to implement and handle it with swizzles and anchor. So yes, best is to just override Z in code(or other axis).

I'm not experienced with Isometric tilemap, I will check it out on weekend, and add to examples.

But I have a question, why are you using Z axis? I thought you need just to sorting order and not 3rd axis, Unity has new feature to sort same ordering by axis. Check https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/TransparencySortMode.html

42. uweenukr

uweenukr

@vhman first off so far I love this!

Is it expected that when you scroll out some and bake that it just keeps getting bigger? In the below screenshot i exaggerated a little. Is the expectation to use the 'Collect Objects' and manually set the size of the map?

43. vhman

vhman

Hi,

Known issue. Now it using Tilemap as world bounds, and when palette or painting instrument selected, Unity extends Tilemap when you move cursor. So select any other editor tool, like "hand", before baking. It a bit annoying.

This part should be redesigned, as some worlds are not rectangular shapes.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  44. uweenukr

uweenukr

Workaround worked great. Ty!

45. SuperFranTV

SuperFranTV

@vhman you have make a update?

Its buggy with many differend tilemaps.

46. vhman

vhman

47. TSabos

TSabos

This is some really interesting work and I'm toying with it right now and noticed something really annoying that isn't your issue per se but wondering if you can resolve it.

Apparently if you draw a tile on accident anywhere in the world and erase it it expands the tilemap bounds to that location thus creating an insanely huge blank baked navmesh.

Is there any way to actually confine the nav to placed tiles opposed to whatever internally is stored? That's actually really horrible to find out that the tilemap is 10x larger than intended because I accidentally drew on the wrong tilemap and erased it. Unity should fix this.

48. vhman

vhman

Thank you @TSabos for feedback.

As far as I know there is an issue described here that is very annoying. All other is design flaws without right solution.
    There is command CompressBounds (can be called form Edtior) that can be called before baking, but it is time consuming.
    There is a lot of possible solutions: adding flag to run resize once, run resize every bake, creating EditorScript to resize tilemap by hotkey.

But obviously in dev (before production) it doesn't matter how you tilemap extends beyond its visible sizes, except visual discomfort.
    Good game design will be to: (1) create invisible map border any object cannot leave; and (2) bake only visible tiles.

If you experimenting with the shapes you can use next settings: (1) set default area as unwalkable; (2) add navmeshmodifier with area override as walkable, - as result only visible tiles will be in navmesh.

In any case I'm adding your feedback in todo list ;-)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  49. juanitogan

juanitogan

@vhman - So, to be clear, your solution isn't ready for 2D colliders yet? I don't have a tiled 2D world -- it's all 2D physics. Thus, I guess I need the @Sharlatan solution.

50. vhman

vhman

@juanitogan, yes, it will not generate navmesh form collider polygons. It is for tilemaps and sprite's meshes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.