Search Unity

2d metroidvania side scroller

Discussion in '2D' started by shogunstudios, Feb 7, 2014.

1. shogunstudios

shogunstudios

Hello there.

I been working on animations and area design for a game in programs like paint and gimp. However i know nothing of the scripting process. I seen a few vids. Unity official ones seem like parts were prefabbed to make the vid go faster.

I'll figure out the basics of movment soon enough.

what concerns me is how I would go about certain process in the level design.

The game is designed with an overworld map sorta like what you would see in games like mario and older final fantasy titles.
    All the vids I have seen thus far never have any menus and tend to be ran like older flash games.

So how does one implement levels and menus.

Another thing is powerups. I can sorta understand just one basic character for an entire level but what about pressing a button and having the characters form completely change and react differently. How is that implemented?

another thing planned is animated cut-scenes. could we just add a video file and have the game play that during the scripted moment? Or would we have to do something else?

Are there any assets anyone would recommend to make this easier?

Thankyou for your time. I am new to the program. My talent is for the art. Not so much the scripting

2. Kurius

Kurius

You are trying to do to much at the same time. Slow down! ;) For now forget the menus and levels. Just because in a finished game, the user first interacts with menus and levels, doesn't mean you have to program those first.

Start by just creating one simple scene, that has a solid ground and your character standing on it. Now figure out the movement of your character, for example...should your character move via onscreen controls? If so, figure out how to make onscreen controls, or make it easier on yourself and purchase onscreen controls from the asset store.

That should be your first question to post in the forum... how do I move my character.

Once you've figured out how to move your character, then you can think about Powerups. Figure out how to make an onscreen button, or get one from the asset store.

That should be your next question to post in the forum... how do I modify the movement of my player if the user presses a Powerup button.

This step by step piece-meal approach will bring some sanity to your development process. Your post was essentially asking... how do I make an entire game?!

PS. I like this item from the asset store which provides both onscreen controls and buttons...
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/3636