Search Unity

2D Mesh Splitting

Discussion in '2D' started by Brewtallity, May 26, 2014.

1. Brewtallity

Brewtallity

Hey there,
    So I have decided to look into 2D mesh splitting as a topic for a research assignment in order to develop a tool to be used in a game later down the track, and what I seem to keep seeing is that all of the available Mesh Splitting Assets on the store seem to only be able to cut in a straight line. I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on why this is?

For example, In the left picture here seems to be how most mesh splitting is done at the moment, but if for example you had a touch screen device and wanted to trace a whole slice like the picture on the right, would that be possible? I am guessing that it is mainly not done simply because of performance issues but any insight would be great.
    $SplittingDifference.png

I Have checked out a few different forum posts about how to go about this but again if anyone has some recommendations on where to begin with this that would be great. I would hope to optimize this tool and eventually distribute it on the asset store as well if anyone was interested!

Thanks,
    James.