Search Unity

2D melee combat

Discussion in '2D' started by RossClements, Feb 5, 2014.

1. RossClements

RossClements

Hi.

Im making a 2D game at the moment and i want have melee combat/attacks. How do i go about doing this? Any guides/tutorials you can recommmend?

thx in advance.

2. unitylover

unitylover

Attach a trigger collider to your 2D sprite to use as a weapon. When you want to attack, animate the collider and listen for collision events with enemies. I'm going to do a tutorial on this after I publish the one I am currently working on.

MisterSkitz and RemDust like this.
  3. CarterG81

CarterG81

The first few tutorials might be of some help.

http://www.burgzergarcade.com/hack-slash-rpg-unity3d-game-engine-tutorial

Specifically, tutorials:

005. Unity3d Tutorial - Melee Combat 1/3
    006. Unity3d Tutorial - Melee Combat 2/3
    007. Unity3d Tutorial - Melee Combat 3/3

It is done in a 3D world, but there is very little difference between 2d and 3D. If you can wrap your mind around the similarities (which isn't always easy) then these tutorials may work great.

If you can do it in 3D, you can probably figure out how to turn it into 2D.

4. msbranin

msbranin

Now this would be an awesome tutorial!!!!!! Hope you do it soon.

5. TheValar

TheValar

This is what I've done for my latest project. It's pretty cool.

For my character he swings an axe in a sort of arc, so I have 3 box colliders, one above, next to, and below the character. I enable/disable each one at the appropriate time in the mecanim animation. Of course a better way would be to have one collider that just moves/resizes itself.

In another project I resized the collider via script totally separate from the animation.

MoonJellyGames likes this.
  6. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

I had issues w/ combat and colliders, where the animation was too fast (or the frame rate was too slow) and the collision missed simply because it didn't hit during a rendered frame.

My solution was to have a "weapon point" at the top and bottom of the "sharp" part of the weapon, and during the attack animation at the appropriate time "turn on" a function that checked for any colliders between the current position of Point A and the last position of Point A (do the same with Point B). [First frame, since there is no "last position" would check for a collider between Point A and Point B].

The benefits I found were that you could also have a line drawn so you could visualize it, and it never misses, even if the frame rate slows down.

There needs to be a trigger on the enemies that knows they "got hit", usually with a random number generated at the start of the attack, so the hit doesn't affect them twice. This works for enemies attacking the player too!

7. Jesse_Pixelsmith

Jesse_Pixelsmith

Can you elaborate a bit on this sfbay? I think this seems like a good method but unsure on how exactly you use the RNG to prevent duplicate hits?

8. MarcHewittDev

MarcHewittDev

He's using the RNG #er as an id, so I'll assume his swing() creates it and uses it as a unique ID so when the enemy is struck and the enemy's OnHit() gets called the enemy can cache the swingID to know if OnHit gets called again during the same swing() then he shouldn't be hit twice.

Honestly using RNG is a bad way todo this, the idea is right but the issue with RNG is you might end up with your next swing as the same number and the enemy won't read the hit. A quick fix would simply make the swingID a static uint and just always add one on the swingID, since the odds of a player reaching four billion swings in one play through is far fetched enough to be "functional".

To avoid a finite end like a static uInt, one way is to record the enemyID onto a IHitThatGuyAlready List/Array and to check against that instead of the swingID, then you just clear the list when swing() is called again.

9. laymanstermsplease

laymanstermsplease

is there a very basic begginer guide to any of this ........there seems to be a massive jump from "new to this" and "i know what im talking about"

10. em3plum

em3plum

Can Suiko6272 give pseudo code on how to do this or send me to the right tutorial

11. STARS_JR

STARS_JR

by change you could create a script for this?

Attached Files:

12. youbek123

youbek123

13. OutrageGames

OutrageGames

I made a tutorial about melee combat in Unity.Check this out it might help you!