Search Unity

2D - Instantiate gameobjects in tiles from a .txt?

Discussion in '2D' started by Gonzasmpl, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Gonzasmpl

Gonzasmpl

I'm trying to make a "semi random" dungeon generator in which diferent levels layout randomly get instantiate when you go through "portals". The poblem is that, say i want to make 1000 diferent level layouts and i need all of them to be lightweight. So, i think a good idea is to use .txt files which contains words and make a script read them and depending the word it reads in the first line and column, instantiate a gameobject in the first tile of my map and so on and so forth. The thing is i have no clue in how to achieve this, so if someone can help me or guide me somehow i'd be highly grateful. Also i want to create or use some empty .txt to save the previous levels which the player go through, so he can return to a previous level if he wants to. Thanks in advance!

Example
    ----
    AAA-AA--P--AA-AAA
    AA--------------------AA
    A-----BB------BB-----A
    -------B----------B-------
    ----------------------------
    -------B----------B-------
    A-----BB------BB-----A
    AA--------------------AA
    AAA-AA--P--AA-A A A
    ---
    A = rock / B = tree / P = portal / blank space = nothing
    ( I know the example is no well made but it's for you to understand me )

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  2. Shack_Man

Shack_Man

you could use numbers instead of letters, break the string into single letters and cast the strings as int. then you can simply have a list with the according tiles and pull one depending via the int.

3. knobblez

knobblez

4. Gonzasmpl

Gonzasmpl

Thanks. You both gave me an overall idea and looking cautiously the code i finally achieved it exactly the way i want it to be.