Search Unity

2D Infinite Runner Toolkit

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Dreeka, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Saxi

Saxi

Latest version has no audio on iOS devices?
    Also iPhone 5 the layout is way off.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  2. rickcollette

rickcollette

There is no audio manager at all - not just iOS. This works pretty well, and it's inexpensive: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/8983

I noticed the 5S scale was off too - hoping for a tutorial on custom resolutions. There is a resolution manager built in, which is awesome - I just don't know how to use it :)

EDIT:
    Works great on iPad2, iPad3, iPhone 4, Samsung Galaxy S4

Does not work great on:
    - iPhone 5S not displaying correctly
    - Nexus 1 not displaying correctly
    - Nexus 3 not displaying correctly
    - Generic android tablet Coby Kyros 10.1-Inch Android 4.0 8 GB 16:9 does not display correctly

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  3. bobbylee

bobbylee

Hi, Has anyone used EasyTouch joystick with this kit?
    Also, on version 1.05, I have a project built on the previous version, are all changes just in the scripts? I used C#

4. Acumen

Acumen

Hey, all you good people,
    we took a little rest during the holidays to reconfigure our melted brains a little over all the good things that happened to us this year, thanks to you guys, so we hope you are doing mighty fine and....

5. Dzxyan

Dzxyan

I'm quite interesting to the project that you create,
    but before i'm going buy it.
    I wanna ask a couple question:

1, is it support multiple map ( meaning maybe after 2000m the background will change to other) or can be do it by modified code?
    2, is it can editable( meaning in resource and coding)

6. kakil

kakil

I just purchased the kit. When I open the kit I don't see a 4_x or 3_x scene. I only see LevelC# and LevelJS scenes. I checked the project on the asset store and those are the only two scenes in the asset store's list of assets. Is this correct? If so, how do I start up the project. Right now I don't see any thing in the editor. Thanks.

7. rickcollette

rickcollette

Yep - those are the only 2 projects.
    I personally use the C# project scene. Once you double click the scene to open it, you should se a list of "stuff" in the Hierarchy, click "Overlod" and in the inspector, you should see a bunch of stuff - you can start editing away.

If you still aren't seeing anything, then something is hosed on your end.. did you follow the documentation?

8. kakil

kakil

arrested_games thank you! I'm very new to Unity so I didn't realize you had to double click the scene to open it. It's working just fine now.

9. rickcollette

rickcollette

WOOT!

10. Dreeka

Dreeka

First of all, sorry for the late reply!

davidnz:
    Thanks for reporting it, it will be fixed in the next update.

Dzxyan:
    1. It is not supporting multiple maps out of the box, but it can be modified for it.
    2. Yes, the kit is editable.

For those who are having an issue in different resolutions.
    In the latest build, the entire resolution manager has been replaced. Currently, you have to define how much horizontal scaling needs to be applied for each resolution. For example, in the 5:3 aspect ratio, this number is 1.25. I have tested this system on my PC, and on my android mobile and tablet. It works fine there.

In those devices, where it is not working, there can be 2 issue. First, the resolution manager detects a false aspect ratio, or it needs more scaling. I cant test these theories, because I do not have acces to these devices, so if you have the issue, and tested these theories, please pm me with the resoult.

The easiest was to test theory 1, is to create a new textmesh in the screen, and modify the resolution manager, so that the detected aspect ratio is displayed on the new textmesh. If it detects the correct aspect ratio, then it needs more scaling.

11. rickcollette

rickcollette

I finally got this working across the iOS devices with the right resolution (Apple is using some weird stuff...) - now.. it's the Kindle Fire HD that is giving me fits. 16:10 .. really? Ok.. so is there a way to detect the hardware a device is running on? Maybe return the Model # or something to match up the weird one-offs?

<rant>I live in a pretty unique area tech-speaking, so its hard for me to look around and discern what is worth spending a lot of time trying to fix.. I se a LOT of those Kindle Fire HD's and HDX's here.. as well as more apple than windows stuff.. </rant>

12. Sammons

Sammons

Anyone using any of the Samsung Galaxy Note series of devices excluding the note 10.1 2014 edition? I am having issues with the ground texture jittering horizontally on these devices after a couple of minutes of play time. I have been testing on various hardware and it seems to only be doing this on devices with the Mali-400 gpu.

13. PixelCream

PixelCream

Hello, I'm having a problem with 16;10 resolution and with devices with the soft buttons (such as nexus 4,5, galaxy nexus, etc). Can you tell me how to change the resolution manager to fix it?
    The main problem is that the elements near to the edges (pause, score, coins, show elements) are getting cutted by the edges of the screen.

14. rickcollette

rickcollette

In resolution manager, you can add a 16:10 ( I cut and paste from 16:9), then monkey with the variable in the resolutions section of the inspector for GUI.

15. marvelshaan

marvelshaan

@Sammons : hey,we already discussed about ground texture jittering problem in previous post

previous post fix :select ground texture 1. texture type-texture.........
    2.alpha is trasperent ON.......
    3. wrap mode-repeat ......
    4. filter mode -point(point mode reduces small texture quality)...........
    5. format -true color.......
    still your getting problem???? i didnt tested on so many devices...it fixed on my sony xperia device.

just test it,my game with full audio and 70 missions:

http://www.amazon.com/acidcoffe-Sna...2?s=mobile-apps&ie=UTF8&qid=1388828656&sr=1-2

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.AcidCoffe.SnailSafariFree

16. Sammons

Sammons

I am still getting the issue after all that. I had this done already. It does fine on these devices. Nexus 7, HTC One X, Nabi, Motorola Razor Maxx, Galaxy S (Captivate), S2, s3, s4 active. When testing it on Galaxy note, note 2, 10.1 I get the jittering issue. Its also not immediate you have to play for a little bit before it starts happening. Also I tried you Snail Safari Game on the Note 10.1 and Galaxy note 2. The game loads to a black screen. I get the unity logo and after that nothing. What model of the Sony Xperia are you using?

I just tested your game on a Nexus 7 and an HTC One X (AT&T Version). On those devices your game force closes. Just thought I would let you know. I really wanted to try it.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  17. PixelCream

PixelCream

Hello, i did some modifications to resolution manager and get it right on the aspect ratio that were giving me problems, thanks!
    I have some weird problems with revive (Sometimes, when revive is used, revive button appears again and if I don't use it it show end menu, or I simply use revive and it shows end menu), and with torpedos.

Dreeka, can I send you a mail so you see the code and help me?

By the way, we're launching our game tomorrow, I will post a link to google play :)

Bye!

18. freakprince

freakprince

i want to implement a scrolling parallaxing seamless repetitive background going slower than the foreground how would i go about doing that? $squad.png

i need the blue buildings on the background to scroll parallax and be closer to each other so that it is a seamless background

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  19. freakprince

freakprince

also for some reason after changing the skin of the coins, one "coin" counts for 10 on the coin counter

20. freakprince

freakprince

where can i find dreeka's e-mail?

21. Dreeka

Dreeka

Sammons:
    The jittering is strange, it should not happen. I cant test it, because I do not have acces to those devices, but if you find a solution, please share it with the community.

PixelCream:
    Yes, you can send the code, I will check it out. Also, looking forward for your game!

freakprince:
    You can copy the sand's code from the level generator, with a slower speed.
    Did you modified anything else in the coin (like collider/tag/anything else)?

22. freakprince

freakprince

$coin.png this is my reskinned coin and it also has an animation
    so the only script responsible for sand's behavior is the level generator?
    $1503733_10203114478167388_922777104_n.jpg also this buggy behavior is happening when my friend opened my project from his computer any reason to why is that? he changed the shader and the image was fixed but it wasnt scroll-parallaxing

23. PixelCream

PixelCream

24. ilovesine2

ilovesine2

Thank Dreeka,

I purchased your asset for an long time and this is what I make to your asset. Your asset are awesome!!!

Now I try to understand your new asset : 2D physics puzzle kit :D

25. rickcollette

rickcollette

Dude.. I totally dig some of the new mechanics you added in.. particularly the little missile that finds its way to the submarine. very cool.

26. Dreeka

Dreeka

freakprince:
    I think the animation causes the issue. When the submarine collides with a coin, disable the collider of the coin. This should fix it. Also, you can find my email in the documentation.

PixelCream:
    Nice, I like it! :)

ilovesine2:
    I like your game as well, the new missile is indeed cool! :)

27. ilovesine2

ilovesine2

Hi,

If you like the missile that find its way to the submarine, I can share the code in this thread. But please give me sometime to clean the comment so the code is easy to read. This project is developed for only learning purpose and will not be released for sell too.

Thanks.

28. rickcollette

rickcollette

That would be killer. I could definitely see a use for that particular code.. is it C# or JS? It doesn't matter, I'm just curious..

29. freakprince

freakprince

dreeka thats where my player respawns when i press retry even after i added collider to background $playerfall.png and sometimes the player is stuck there $player stuck.png

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  30. ilovesine2

ilovesine2

I quickly crop the homing missile source code part of my whole app and make the separate scene on Unity. You can see @ my github ->
    https://github.com/jitkasem/basic2DHomingMissile

I'm not sure it will work every case or not but that should be a good thing if you modify it to be better....

Thanks...

31. rickcollette

rickcollette

Awesome - thank you for sharing this!

32. ilovesine2

ilovesine2

Hi, arrested_games

Thank for download. The code is dirty right now (lot of comments waiting to delete). If you look at the code and want to optimize it , you can do that by remove the small gap between all the colliders that attached to the player game object. I think , if it have no gap between the up and down collider and down and bottom collider (on both side) then the Raycast should hit the collider and make it move better.

You can also remove the bottom left and bottom right collider attached as the child of the player GameObject too.

Thanks.

33. Dreeka

Dreeka

freakprince:
    From your images, I see you have an argument out of range exception. I would suggest you to fix the errors, because it is possible that they have something to do with your issues.

34. rickcollette

rickcollette

Array issue - this is simply because I have been digging and digging and now I'm code blind. :)

so - I added something to the shop, and I'm trying to get it to update. when I run the game, its fine - until i open the shop:

Being that this is the 5th item (0,1,2,3,4) , and I named it NewItemX to test, the problem is below:

The error:
    IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
    GUIManager.UpdateShop () (at Assets/2DInfiniteRunnerToolkit/Scripts/C#/GUIManager.cs:296)

The code in question:

//update NewItemX display
    shopTexts[10].text = shopPrices[4].ToString();
    shopTexts[9].text = "x " + SaveManager.GetNewItemX();

35. rickcollette

rickcollette

and this: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/7213 saved my ass.
    woot!

36. Jesse_Pixelsmith

Jesse_Pixelsmith

Just got this. So the resolution manager seems to work with .exe builds, but any way to get it to detect and work in the editor?

37. wallace.d

wallace.d

Hi Dreeka,
    I purchased the 2d Infinite Runner kit and have had a lot of great luck modifying and using it to my needs. However, I am stumped in one area in particular. The scrolling "Sand" texture ( I have replaced it with my own texture) , progressively degrades and becomes extremely pixilated as the game continues on an IOS/IPad device. It does not do this on Android or in the emulator. Its frustrating because all of the other graphics are as crisp as intended, but this problem with the scrolling sand texture affects the look of the UI. Have you encountered this running on IOS? Do you have any suggestions for an alternate way to scroll an image like the sand without using a "Texture" Texture Type?

If I change the "Sand" texture to a GUI texture it maintains it's integrity, but I cant get it to repeat in Wrap Mode.

I need to come up with an alternate way to get the Sand to scroll so that it does not degrade as the game goes on.

Thanks!
    Mark

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  38. Sammons

Sammons

Have you tried any of the solution provided in previous posts about the sand texture? I think the last 2-3 pages mentions some tips.

39. Oakley-Mobile

Oakley-Mobile

Oakley Mobile Games is proud to present Up Stream!
    Up Stream was developed using this toolkit, and it was a superb help to getting this game released.

You can find more information on Up Stream at the official release thread: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/223127-Up-Stream!-by-Oakley-Mobile-Games

You can view the trailer for Up Stream on Vimeo or YouTube:

Vimeo:
    [video=youtube_share;09fOhklv5do]http://youtu.be/09fOhklv5do

YouTube:
    [video=youtube_share;09fOhklv5do]http://youtu.be/09fOhklv5do

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  40. rickcollette

rickcollette

MOST Excellent, Oakley Mobile!

41. Sammons

Sammons

Very nice indeed! Good Job!

I'm so far away from releasing anything and seeing other peoples work makes me more determined.

42. AlphaGTR

AlphaGTR

Can this be made to work with pool manager? What optimizations can be done to make this run smooth on mobile?

43. Acumen

Acumen

Oakley Mobile you have gone above and beyond with this. I especially enjoy how you extended the basic setup so naturally and made it into a so well polished product.
    Thank you very much for sharing this !

AlphaGTR, I think the most important thing to do is using a texturepacker/texture atlas solution which will save quite some drawcalls compared to the standard unity approach, yet.

44. wallace.d

wallace.d

Thanks Sammons,

After I posted this I went back and looked at some of the tips from previous posts. Some of which I had already tried. The solution I came up with was to create another "layer" in the LevelGenerator/Background that included a number of groups with just the "Sand Tile". This scrolls much the same way as the Obstacles groups using the Reset and Spawn triggers. It looks the same across all platforms that I have tested. IOS/Android. There is no loss in the integrity of the images. They remain very crisp during the game.

45. Sammons

Sammons

Awsome! I was thinking about trying something like this myself since I have an issue on certain Android devices that seem to exhibit odd behavior on the sand texture. I have other projects I messed around with where I used that method to scroll the background. I think its just the way some hardware handles the material offset.

46. AlphaGTR

AlphaGTR

Since this is all 2D, should it be a sprite sheet rather than texture atlas?

47. rickcollette

rickcollette

@Dreeka - I sent a PM to discuss a paid fix to something I seem to have screwed up... :)

48. Acumen

Acumen

49. rickcollette

rickcollette

anyone run into an issue where, after adding in a new power-up, they get all power-ups stacked on startup?
    Currently, the game shows your power-ups across the bottom for 3 seconds, then they collapse down.
    Mine are all stacked on each other (see image) - its weird.
    $stacked.png

50. Sammons

Sammons

I personally haven't started adding any in yet, but could the issue be in the code area where guimanager script sets the location and spacing depending on how many powerup is activated?