Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

2D in 3D Questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by maxandinu, Sep 12, 2019.

1. maxandinu

maxandinu

Hey all, I have a few questions about an idea I have.
    I'm very new to Unity (only have made 1 project before, 2.5D side-scrolling platformer) and I know that I am 100% in over my head with this project I want to do and have no idea where to start.
    Essentially, I am doing a project with a Paper Mario feel (2D characters in a 3D environment) but in first person instead. There won't be a battle system, instead, there will be real-time combat (like in Super Paper Mario for the Wii).

So my questions are:
    1) How would you make the 2D characters?
    I know adding a rigidbody would make them fall flat on their faces, so how would I give them hitboxes/the ability to move?
    2) How would I have the playable character's visible?
    Say, if I wanted my character to hold a flashlight, how would I have their arm visible on-screen holding the object?

Any links to tutorials/videos would be a great help to me!!
    Thank you so much!!

2. kdgalla

kdgalla

You could certainly use rigidbodies. You just have to learn how they work and how to use them properly. If I were making this sort of game, I would probably use 3D rigidbodies with camera-facing quads for the graphics.

Edit: You could also use CharacterControllers, navmesh agents. kinematic rigidbodies, something from the assetstore, write your own navigation system from scratch, etc.

Put it in front of the camera? I 'm not sure what you mean.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    Joe-Censored likes this.