Search Unity

2D IK limb issue

Discussion in '2D' started by Crystall21, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Crystall21

Crystall21

Hello, I have a weird issue with the 2d IK package.
    I installed the package a while ago and till this day it worked fine, but now for some reason a Limb is behaving strange. When i try to animate some parts of the body by moving it, one specific limb is moving randomly but it snaps back at the end. Here is a video to make it clearer:

As you can see only the central part of the "spider" thing is moving but it also makes a specific limb move randomly.
    The weight is fine and I didnt mess with any settings or anything.

I tried to restart unity, to build the game and i even tried to keep the coordinates of the broken limb the same every frame of the animation, but with no effect.

Thanks

2. ed_s

ed_s

Unity Technologies

Hmm, that's odd. Any chance you can file a bug report with a project so we can take a closer look? If you do file, please let me know the # so I can get it looked at sooner.

3. Crystall21

Crystall21

Thank you for your reply! Just finished the bug report and the file case is "Case 1234210".

4. sergioschiavo

sergioschiavo

@ed_s Would you be able to answer me if the 2D IK packaged will be out of preview for the 2019 LTS release? I am planning to launch my game and it would be really helpful to know if 2D IK will be confirmed. Can't find this information anywhere and nobody seems to be able to answer me :(

5. ChuanXin

ChuanXin

Unity Technologies

There are currently no plans to bring 2D IK out of preview for the 2019 LTS release. We will continue to support and fix issues regarding the 2D IK package.

6. sergioschiavo

sergioschiavo

Thanks @ChuanXin, so I believe I will need to find another solution for IK if I want to launch my game with 2019 LTS right?

7. ChuanXin

ChuanXin

Unity Technologies

If the 2D IK package works for your game right now, you can still use it for a 2019 LTS release despite being a preview package.

If possible, could you share some of your concerns regarding this?

8. sergioschiavo

sergioschiavo

@ChuanXin I think it's a Unity recommendation to don't launch a game with preview packages, isn't this the case?

9. ChuanXin

ChuanXin

Unity Technologies

Yes, that is the case. It is a recommendation where you and your team will need to make a judgment call on it whether to use it. We will continue to support and fix issues regarding the 2D IK package.

10. ChuanXin

ChuanXin

Unity Technologies

For your "spider", you could try having a single IKManager2D component at a top level GameObject with all the LimbSolver2Ds inside of it instead of having a single IKManager2D for each LimbSolver2D. Also, once you have the single IKManager2D, you could reorder the LimbSolver2Ds such that the Knees (the ones closer to the main body) are higher than the ends (the ones further from the main body).

This way, the IK solving will be ordered from top to bottom, with the Knees solving before the ends. With this order defined, the ends will not solve first and be dragged out by the solution found by the Knees. Instead, it will try to find a solution for the ends after the Knees have reached their solution.