Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

2D Graphics-- In demand for Unity3d?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by emergence, Mar 25, 2011.

1. emergence

emergence

Hi, I was wondering how many people here would be interested in 2D graphics? These would be .png images for use in anything, but obviously Unity3D.

I am almost ready to release a new website and graphics set, starting with characters.
    These are extremely high quality characters, fully animated, in isometric viewing angles (as well as a future release of side scrolling and other angles). I am most likely going to be selling them for a much cheaper price than it would take for any contract artist to make. The goal is to be able to provide HIGH QUALITY 2D sprites (Isometric Side Scroller) to INDIE DEVELOPERS at a REASONABLE price, as well as a unique feature the website will have to allow developers to pay very little at first, and as they develop their game improve their graphics by adding in more! (Basically, the more you buy, the cheaper everything becomes. So 1 character is a normal price, but 10 would be A LOT cheaper than the price of the first * 10.)

I need two questions answered from you guys for Feedback.

1) Is there a demand for 2D graphics in the Unity3D community? Characters? Environment? Characters? LoL...

2) What price would you think is fair for 2D sprite characters?

Quality of characters:

Price for the character??
    Additional Price per additional animation for that character: 1 Animation (Walk, Run, Sword, Spell, Gun, Idle, etc.)????

What do you expect a price range to be for 1 animation, of a 2D sprite with this quality?
    What do you think is fair?
    What are you willing to pay?

Here are more characters, besides human. These are the quality, but anything is possible (robots, mechs, modern, fantasy, goblins, cyberpunk, etc.)

2. 2dfxman1

2dfxman1

lol daz3d renders being sold. Funny guy

3. emergence

emergence

The actual cost of ANY of these characters from me is significantly LESS than what it would take to buy them. Not to mention the animations, work, etc. It would be significantly cheaper for anyone to buy from someone with thousands of dollars worth of software and assets (and skills, animation experience, etc.) than to do it themselves, so it's not funny at all.

Unless you can somehow animate 3D models via an "I win!" button, the animations alone are extremely worth any price a single character would be, even at a high price, let alone a cheap one.

It took me over 6 months to complete hundreds of animations, provide an extremely high quality of lighting, learn several programs, create my own textures, setups, etc. as well as trouble what was an infinite number of problems creating high quality, pixel-perfect, smoothly animated sprites which can Equip/Unequip weapons, armor, and items. This is certainly not just "daz3d renders" my friend.

Children, please step aside and allow this thread to be for grownups.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  4. KyleStaves

KyleStaves

As much as I generally dislike 2dfxman1's general attitude running around these forums like a 14 year old, I think his general concern here is that you very well may not have the right to resell these models in any form.

5. emergence

emergence

I do have the rights, as these are only 2D images. I am not selling anything 3D.
    Please, I would like feedback, as opposed to demonization.

I am fully aware of what I am doing.

Thanks,
    Ronny

6. Ayrik

Ayrik

You can sell the service of packaging the art in a particular way, but you cannot sell the art. Either way, the other party will have to buy it from DAZ 3D.

7. KyleStaves

KyleStaves

My apologies,

I was note attempting to demoize you - only pointing out that 2dfx's concern likely had nothing to do with the value of the work you've done and everything to do with the possible licensing implications. I didn't mean to imply I knew one way or the other - only that it would be a concern for prospective customers that you should likely address. I've sent in an inquiry to daz3d about this type of situation (not with a link to this post or anything, just a hypothetical question about selling 2D sprite renders of their 3D models for use by other game developers). I'll post their response here to, hopefully, alleviate any customer concerns about the situation.

8. drewradley

drewradley

He is totally allowed to sell any 2d artwork he makes with DAZ figures. I've been doing it for years (not with any great volume). He is not allowed to sell the figures themselves or redistribute them in any way without a developer's license (and then you can only use them in games not sell just the assets), I just agree that no one is likely to buy them (otherwise I would be selling a bunch myself as I've been collecting Poser content for 15 years!). I'm not sure you can give that many away here. Try a 2d game creation site. You might even be able to sell a few of them to 2d game creators but unlikely.

9. emergence

emergence

No, you are entirely incorrect.
    This is no longer a discussion, as it is 100% legal as I own the rights to all images I produce.

To Everyone
    This topic is over, and any further derailing of the thread topic will result in reporting to the moderators.

STAY ON TOPIC PLEASE!

Thank you,
    Ronny

10. emergence

emergence

So you are saying that there is little 2D art demand for Unity3D?

11. 2dfxman1

2dfxman1

There's enough 2d art demand, but people are looking for drawn art. If it's 3d you might aswell just use real 3d...
    Also you show no examples of your "quality" animations, so it's hard to judge if your stuff is worth anything.

If you're actually as good at animating as you're saying to be, why not work as an animator? Now that's in high demand here...

12. emergence

emergence

If you're as good at typing as you appear, why not work as a typist?

ANYWAYS... there is quite a big reason why someone wouldnt "just as well use real 3d".

Do you know how expensive the difference is between 3D and 2D? Do you know the difference at all?

2D Graphics are a single image (or series of images).

3D graphics are a combination of many different pieces, such as a mesh, texture, bump maps, well...let's just say all sorts of different "textures" (maps).

3D models require a limited number of polygons because of performance issues. 2D graphics do not.
    3D has higher requirements than 2D.

Okay...anyways...I don't really need to point out the reasons 2D can have advantages over 3D. Price is the most obvious one, but performance is another.

...is there any way to block people on this forum so you can't read their posts anymore?

13. drewradley

drewradley

Not for this kind of 2d art. Textures, yes. Character sprites, I doubt it.

14. emergence

emergence

Hehe, well within minutes I already received requests, so I guess we are both wrong.

I actually was going to agree and say you're probably right, but then I saw my inbox! Goodness! I just posted this, LOL!

15. Filto

Filto

First of all nice stuff. Since these models won't be custom made for the buyer I think you have to do very generic models so they suit as many customers as possible. Modern people on the street, medieval guards, farm animals and so on. For a set of 10 characters perhaps 100-200 bucks including a couple of standard animation. Idle, walk, run

16. emergence

emergence

The majority of the work actually DOES allow for these models to be custom made for the buyer. Although others will have the same opportunity to have similar characters, the longer the business developers, the more combination are possible until eventually no one model will be alike. (I will introduce more than just a male human model, as I can inevitably create scores of characters-- all with their own outfits)

The website design is actually quite innovative, in that you will first pick a character (Fat, Skinny, Elf, Zombie, Buff, Male, Female, etc.) and then a skin color (White, Black, Elf, Zombie, Tan) and then pick your animations (However few or many as you want) and then your outfit piece by piece (pick a shirt, a pants, a boots, hat, hair, accessories, eyepatches, cyborg face, wings, etc. etc.)

And at the end, you pay for what you picked (the base model costs the most, as outfits and skin colors are cheaper, so variants are cheap) and the models are entirely equipable/unequipable for use in any RPG game or other game. Once you purchase an outfit, you "own" it so any variant of that model (White, Black, Elf, Zombie, Alien, etc.) will work as well for them).
    Indie developers can spend $30 to get a basic model, and as they budget slowly spend $10 every now and then, eventually ending up with multiple characters for a very cheap price. Complicated, yes, but not for the customer.

So at first everyone's characters will probably look the same. But if the business is successful, then eventually there will be thousands of equipment, items, character models, etc. and even 100 options suddenly creations THOUSANDS of character possibilities. And when it comes to what most 2D graphic sales come to these days (mobile devices) the resolutions usually get so small that most characters (unless Cartoon Drawn) tend to look the same "A human" but the outfits certainly won't.

17. emergence

emergence

18. drewradley

drewradley

that's pretty cool. How did you get the clothes, etc to be swapable? Did you just make thousands of different ones with thousands of different combinations?

19. emergence

emergence

Basically...lol...

Render times are quite long, and it's complicated to introduce even a single article of clothing, lol.

It actually took me 3 months to figure out how to do all of this. It's extremely complicated and I had to spend thousands of dollars to get both the software, animations, models, textures, outfits, etc.

I even went to professional poser user forums and asked for help, but even the experts were clueless. I finally figured it out last night though!

20. drewradley

drewradley

If you're not already using it, you should look into Carrara. It can use Poser/DAZ figures and it's easily twice as fast rendering. PLUS you can add a shadow catcher to base and have actual shadows. And it's also got an isometric camera setting

21. emergence

emergence

Already got it ;)

I have shadows, but shadows are a bit more trouble. I plan on adding them later as a free update or as an additional feature to buy.

22. amit1532

amit1532

if you would do some cherecters in side scrolling, monsters, swords and everything, i would buy it.
    acctually im looking for something like "maplestory" characters only much higher quality. but im SUCKISH at arts lol...
    but if you can do it please tell me, i will buy for sure ^^