Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

2d gaming in unity

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by whisperstorm, Aug 20, 2008.

1. whisperstorm

whisperstorm

Are there any add-ons or libraries for doing 2d retro style games in Unity? I see alot of projects and things, but I mean a sort of package that has a unified whole with regards to 2d type games.

2. Lallander

Lallander

It's possible I'm sure but unity is at its cored a 3d engine. You would get better performance for something like the new super mario bros. I might be mistaken here, but trying to force it to run with sprite based graphics seems like it would take a lot of shoehorning.

3. zumwalt

zumwalt

Search around in the forums, Eric has done a 2d game with rather clever effects. The 2d tutorial that is around here made by the Unity team is a side scrolling game that is 3d but locked on the X/Y axis points for movement. You can place any image on a cube and make a 2d style game, or even make the objects 3d and restrict them to 2d motions. You won't get the effects from other engines like you can with Unity though with regards to adding neat little things like sound per object, interactive objects with relation to physics, etc.

4. thylaxene

thylaxene

5. whisperstorm

whisperstorm

I think doing 3D with a locked camera may just be the right way to go. No sense wasting all that power on pushing sprites around. Thanks for the advice!

6. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

7. whisperstorm

whisperstorm

This really opens some doors for some amazing games. I'm thinking of creating a 2d platformer / rpg type of game like Eternal Daughter or Odin Sphere - and using 2d sprites in a 3d environment would be perfect.