Search Unity

2D games with perspective

Discussion in '2D' started by Ambassador601, Feb 20, 2019.

?

Flat 2D or 2D sprites in 3D?

1. Flat

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Perspective

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Ambassador601

Ambassador601

Hello everybody!

Wanted to ask how you guys feel about the 2.5D approach for games done with sprites: camera pointing on 2D plane=ground at an angle, sprites facing the camera which adds a bit of perspective (allows to see behind the object depending on cam position).

As in Don't Starve, Octopath Traveler and DeathSpank. Though I think the effect feels really cranked in the latter.

Do you prefer standard 2D "flat" graphics or does perspective makes for more modern, "free" and realistic look? I kind of do feel that, but can't exactly pinpoint if it's really that good of an idea, considering that not so many games do that. I've read stuff describing it as "weird".

Do you know any more games that got it on point?

*Edit*
    I realized that this thread might be better off at the General Discussion forum, but it's too late.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  2. MSplitz-PsychoK

MSplitz-PsychoK

It really depends on your base game mechanics. Do they feel better with perspective? I think perspective would be best for games that are story-based, point-and-click, or turn-based. However, the perspective may make nit-picky collisions not feel so great, which is fine for games like "Don't Starve" where the combat doesn't rely on your sword physically touching your opponent. An example of a 2D collision that would not feel great with perspective is a sword from a top-down zelda game.

But that's just my opinion. I encourage you to experiment and find a camera scheme that makes your base game mechanics feel the most enjoyable and natural! (use git to make drastic changes that you can undo if you dislike them)

Ambassador601 likes this.