Search Unity

2D Game Kit Tutorial - Teleporting to another scene - TransitionStart issues 2018.3of2personal

Discussion in '2D' started by De-Programmer, Jan 2, 2019.

1. De-Programmer

De-Programmer

using - Unity 2018.3of2 personal
    on - macbook pro retina, mid 2012 w/ macOS sierra v. 10.12.6

Hello all,

I am just beginning using unity, and I started with the 2d Game Kit tutorial. I have made it through all the steps rather smoothly. I hit a snag with teleporting the player to a new scene. The only thing i noticed was that in the tutorial the component in the TransitionStart was Transition Start (script) where as my program called it Transition Point (Script). Furthermore, the transition type in the tutorial is labeled "different level" where as mine is labeled "different zone". I'm not sure the labels make much difference as I am on a newer version but when I try to drag Ellen into the Transitioning Game Object box nothing happens, the software won't allow me to do that. Is there something different I must do in the newer version to teleport Ellen to a new scene? am i missing a script? Is there a bug I am unaware of in this version of Unity?

p.s. I apologize if this is a repeated thread but I did take a bout 2 hours looking for information on this issue and only found an unanswered user in the middle of a 2d game kit thread, any help is much appreciated thanks and Happy New Year folks!

2. WheresMommy

WheresMommy

If you habe different values or types, this types should exist. I dont know the project, butnif unity does not let you add it, its the wrong type

3. De-Programmer

De-Programmer

hey asd thanks for the help...
    when you say type or value are you referring to the gameobject? like i would need to drag a game object into the Transitioning Game Object but the character (Ellen), does not compute as such in the component of TransitionStart?the tutorial just dragged ellen into the Transitioning Game Object box so i would assume the values or types which you refer to would be the same
    perhaps i need to learn more before asking questions so i can understand those trying to help lol, again thank asd appreciate it

4. Aline

Aline

I also got this problem on Mac, did you succeed to drag Ellen into the Transitioning Game Object box

5. MisterSkitz

MisterSkitz

My first question is are you getting any errors?
    My second question is are you importing in the SceneManagement namespace within your scripts?

The transition between scenes should look similiar to this:

Code (CSharp):
    1. SceneManager.LoadScene("NameOfSceneOrIndexHere");
    if it is looking like:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Application.LoadLevel();
    then that code has depreciated and I think it might work on some versions of unity, but the newer ones I think it's obsolete.

Another question, have you set your Build Settings index values? If you're building your project, you must have placed all of the scenes accordingly inside the build file.

6. De-Programmer

De-Programmer

Hey Aline sorry such a late response as I have strayed from the tutorial since but recently tried the teleportation again just yesterday and unfortunately no, I was not able to drage ellen into the Transitioning Game Object box yet,

7. De-Programmer

De-Programmer

Hey Tim, I have not looked at the scripts but now that you have mentioned it I am going to check out and try check the boxes you have just now made me aware of. regarding the build file, I believe I did make sure to include both scenes, the one i am transition from and the one i am transition to, in the build file. I'm going to take a look at the project now and focus on your advice to see if those are my issues... thanks again Tim really appreciate the help

8. MisterSkitz

MisterSkitz

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine.SceneManagement;
    Make sure you include that if you're planning on using the LoadScene().

You really didn't answer my questions to where I have any better indication of what you need. If you are stuck, I am willing to help. If this hasn't helped your situation, then I'm going to need to see your code. Also, a reference to the tutorial that you're looking at so I can analyze that as well.

9. militarybeetle

militarybeetle

Yo, I'm following the same tutorial and getting stuck in the same place.

Basically the problem is that when you go to drop in Ellen, the player, the script doesn't let you drop her in as the transitioning game object. I even went to the developer levels to see if I could delete Ellen from the transitioning game object and re-drag and drop her.

The script still refused to add her.

Note this problem doesn't happen when you transition within the same scene

Link to the section in particular: https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/projects/2d-game-kit/teleporting-player

Check out this post in the official tutorial guide, someone is having the same problem (They put in good pictures of the same exact problem I got): https://forum.unity.com/threads/2d-game-kit-official-thread.517249/page-6#post-4287751

10. WheresMommy

WheresMommy

What is the type declared in the script you are trying to drag to?

11. Starvik

Starvik

12. LaTomity

LaTomity

Anyone knows how to teleport another game object other than the player (Ellen)? I tryed teleporting a PushableBox and an enemy (chomper) doing the exact same thing I did with Ellen but it doesn't work. Thanks and sory for bad english