Search Unity

Official 2D Game Kit Official Thread

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by Aurore, Feb 12, 2018.

1. jleven22

jleven22

This did it for me, thanks!

2. bennyatc

bennyatc

Hello.
    I'd the same problem.

Attached Files:

3. blueFire

blueFire

kavindubimsara likes this.
  4. Monster_Fox

Monster_Fox

Can 2D Game Kit be used for Android. And how can I enable better performance for android devices.

lmraddmb likes this.
  5. Monster_Fox

Monster_Fox

In Unity Editor goto: Assets > 2DGamekit > Art > Sprites > Environment > Tilesets and select "Tileset_Rock.png"
    in inspetor select Max size 1024

6. unity_kSG3XY4us1zHaw

unity_kSG3XY4us1zHaw

It worked for me too. Thanks a lot. On Mac I had too this issue

7. facejets

facejets

Not sure where I should mention this, but the 2d gamekit tutorial has a small problem that could snare newbies -

In part 3, "painting a level", the learner is instructed to go to Window > TilePalette, but I found it instead at Window > 2D > TilePalette

digitalwrites likes this.
  8. Sterile_D

Sterile_D

If the ground is not thick enough. The closed door blocks the path below it. Is there a way to get pass the open door on the lower level? Or do is making the ground thicker the only way?

9. facejets

facejets

You can resize the door by selecting it in hierarchy. If that doesn't help, select its child, DoorSprite, and edit the fields Offset and Size, or click the 'edit collider' button and do it by hand by grabbing the green dots in Scene view.

10. facejets

facejets

To me it looks like you have not imported the 2d gamekit. Search for it in the asset store, and import it. You may need to repeat this once or twice more as it updates the asset.

11. XMalatji

XMalatji

Hello World! Im trying to preview an animation, wondering how does one create an animation too! ? Or should i just continue with the tutorial? Onto lesson 4 :)

12. XMalatji

XMalatji

How does selecting "Enemy"know that im referring to the Splitter ?

13. heingh

heingh

14. heingh

heingh

I downloaded the 2d game kit from the asset store and found 7 compiler errors before doing anything. As a very new user of Unity, I would like to know how to fix these errors. I tried to reload it from the hub but got the same problems. Some of the errors include "
    An error occurred while resolving packages:
    Project has invalid dependencies:
    com.unity.package-manager-ui: Package [com.unity.package-manager-ui@2.1.2] cannot be found
    Package com.unity.textmeshpro@2.0.0 has invalid dependencies:
    com.unity.ugui: Package [com.unity.ugui@1.0.0] cannot be found

A re-import of the project may be required to fix the issue or a manual modification of C:/Users/Heinrich/OneDrive/Documents/New Unity Project/New Unity Project/New Unity Project/2d game kit/Packages/manifest.json file."
    and
    " Library\PackageCache\com.unity.xr.legacyinputhelpers@2.0.2\Runtime\ArmModels\ArmModel.cs(30,25): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'PoseDataFlags' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)"
    Please assist in this matter.
    Thanks

Vistitol likes this.
  15. zastroph

zastroph

How do I use the "Requires inventory check" part of the kit?

For example, rather than a door auto opening when a key is initially picked up. I would like to pick up the key, then got to the door and activate if. Also if this is different to the TransitionStart. what do I need to do the same here. I want to be able to pick up an object, before using the object it is attached to!

16. Miketysonjr

Miketysonjr

hi, how can i make Ellen cancel attack animation by jump button ? what kind of code i need to write ?

17. digitalwrites

digitalwrites

TILE CORRUPTION ISSUE EXPORTING AND IMPORTING PACKAGES
    I'm doing a multi-scene project with primary school kids. They are drawing and making their own rule tilesets. We have a number of scenes across a number of laptops. My plan was to move kids scenes back to the main project. The main project is on a Mac. Their scenes are on PC. When I export a simple scene from the Mac to the PC something very weird happens to the tiles - they seem to get stetched out in 3D like a scene from 2001. Any tips of what to try or what I may be doing wrong?

18. digitalwrites

digitalwrites

TILEMAP GONE HAYWIRE.
    I'm working with some 10 year old kids to make a game using the 2D Game Kit as a basis. They're drawing their own assets. We're exchanging work using packages. But something in the process keeps breaking the tilemaps. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong. We're exporting packages without dependencies.

Here's the original scene: temp-original-scene.png

Here's what happens when we import is as a package:
    temp-tilemap-freakout.png

Any ideas what might be happening?

19. TheL0neW0If

TheL0neW0If

it is because of the used unity version in the tutorial he didnt use 2019.1

20. tmaxwellstevens

tmaxwellstevens

This problem still hasn't been fixed, are there any workarounds?

21. simSHOM5012

simSHOM5012

I can't download it. It says that unity needs to upgrade to 2017.3.0, but I have the most up to date version. please help.

22. warcow

warcow

hey Aurore,

first of all thank you guys so much for the kit and the tutorial on youtube-
    i can make character arts myself but not much of a coder,
    so your work is about the best thing that has happened to me in years!
    can't wait for the summer to come because our game is coming out! haha

to make the game fit to my plan perfectly, i have a few things however,,

1. how do you make player and the monster collide with each other?
    i mean i dont want contact damage, they only take damage through swing attacks etc.
    they push each other around if nobody is attacking.
    currently they walk through each other when i turn the invulnerable/ damager off (target layer from player to none)
    i thought the unity collider do what i stated above because i followed a simpler tutorial before and it did that.

2. is there an easy way to make players attack to have some kind of delay?
    ie. currently Ellen's melee attack is instant, but i'd like it to have say 0.5 second delay.
    (to match the swing motion i created myself)

3. this is gonna be a tough one,
    i wish to create some kind of cinematic event with triggers like,
    monster death count >n, boss hp below 30%, ..etc.
    player loses control, monsters behaviors and timers dont freeze (idle animation /or walks around)
    player does a set of animation (i made), moves a little bit (by the plot) and regains control after
    event finishes.

i realize no.3 is a bit of a long shot, im willing to dive into the code a bit and not seeing it as plague.
    anyone kindly even point me to the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
    eg. what controls to use, functions to look into, code logic, attributes to call etc.

thank you very much for your time,
    yours kindly

23. islesofurth

islesofurth

You referring to "conditions".
    when you pick up items you do not need to activate them right away.
    it was only shown that way as an example of what is possible.

If you want the player to be in front of the door & need a key, that is already 2 conditions.
    1 condition is the players location, the other is the item required. (include the activate button for a 3rd condition)

follow the tutorial again & you should understand how to set it all up

24. islesofurth

islesofurth

1: All you need to do for this is create a new 2D collider and use this for when they bump into each other

2: you would need to edit the script and apply a delay, just google some c# delay for .5 seconds and you have what you need

3: Adding counting events are actually pretty easy as it is just a matter of including an INT counting system and then when you get to the number you want, you trigger your event from that number.
    The Unity basics tutorial covers how to create things like this & you can find lots online.

25. HotkangChen

HotkangChen

:(Can this project push to the github?
    I have expanded too much base on the old version..
    It is very diffucult for me to upgrade and figure out the changes(or bug fixed) between two version...

lmraddmb likes this.
  26. kavindubimsara

kavindubimsara

I tried the same thing did not find a solution :(

27. Sidhanth783

Sidhanth783

is there a single person who implemented mobile controls for this kit ?

if so please help me and those who are asking, no proper reply from anyone until now.
    your help us much appreciated
    Thank you

28. zjb1997

zjb1997

If anyone has done this tutorial on Mac, is their a way to get the function keys to work with the tutorial instead of how they normally function (eg- F12 raises volume). Having trouble showing the debug mode for the weapons in the game view.
    Thank you

29. blueFire

blueFire

The easiest tutorial I have been able to find on how to add mobile controls to Unity is the following video:

30. Valjuin

Valjuin

Reassign function keys as follows:
    Apple logo > System Preferences > Keyboard > Tick checkbox "Use F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys"

31. GilmarNP

GilmarNP

Great kit, I just do not understand how chekpoint works, is there any tutorial on this?

32. lmraddmb

lmraddmb

I'm persistently having this 3 errors since the first time I opened the project from the Hub.

Code (CSharp):
    1. SDKUpdater failed: stdout:
    2. [UpdateSupportedSDKList] Download <https://www.facebook.com/unitysdk/available_versions?unity_version=2017.4.27f1>
    3. [UpdateSupportedSDKList] Received <{
    4.    "versions": [
    5.       "7.9.4",
    6.       "7.10.1",
    7.       "7.12.2",
    8.       "7.13.0",
    9.       "7.14.0",
    10.       "7.14.1",
    11.       "7.15.0",
    12.       "7.15.1"
    13.    ]
    14. }> to <C:\ProgramData\Unity/Facebook\SupportedSDKVersions\2017.4.27f1>
    15. [UpdateAvailableSDKs] Download https://www.facebook.com/unitysdk/download?sdk_version=7.14.0 to C:\Users\elighne\AppData\Local\Temp\tmp3554.tmp
    16. ValidateSDK C:\Program Files\Unity\Hub\Editor\2017.4.27f1\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\Facebook\SDK\7.9.4 - C:\Users\elighne\AppData\Local\Temp\tmp3554.tmp_unzipped
    17. stderr:
    18. Unhandled sdkuploader error: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file 'C:\Users\elighne\AppData\Local\Temp\tmp3554.tmp_unzipped\ivy.xml'.
    19. File name: 'C:\Users\elighne\AppData\Local\Temp\tmp3554.tmp_unzipped\ivy.xml'
    20.    at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
    21.    at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
    22.    at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
    23.    at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize)
    24.    at System.Xml.XmlDownloadManager.GetStream(Uri uri, ICredentials credentials)
    25.    at System.Xml.XmlUrlResolver.GetEntity(Uri absoluteUri, String role, Type ofObjectToReturn)
    26.    at System.Xml.XmlReader.Create(String inputUri, XmlReaderSettings settings, XmlParserContext inputContext)
    27.    at System.Xml.Linq.XDocument.Load(String uri, LoadOptions options)
    28.    at SDKUpdater.ValidateSDK(String originSdkPath, String newSdkPath)
    29.    at SDKUpdater.UpdateAvailableSDKs()
    30.    at SDKUpdater.Main()
    32. UnityEditor.Modules.ModuleManager:InitializePlatformSupportModules()

Already tried to fix by re-importing the whole project.

Code (CSharp):
    1. Assets/2DGamekit/Scripts/Editor/CheckForError.cs(13,13): error CS0103: The name `File' does not exist in the current context
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Assets/2DGamekit/Scripts/Editor/CheckForError.cs(41,9): error CS0103: The name `File' does not exist in the current context

Already googled it, and found no matches in many ways. Any help now is welcome.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  33. dagoatmanbibba

dagoatmanbibba

Hi,
    According to the tutorial, when I start the project, there is supposed to be a button in the top menu called Kit Tools. When I open the project, both the Kit Tools and Tutorial buttons are not there. I have searched for hours and can't find a solution. Does anyone know how to fix this?

34. unity_gY0DPnF9xnWV4A

unity_gY0DPnF9xnWV4A

Hi, I had exactly same issue. Look at console tab for errors. I faced this error with different Unity versions, alpha and stable. I get rid of issues until I used this version of unity:

Unity/Hub/Editor/2019.1.8f1

This version works for me in Fedora 30 and Windows 10.

Thanks

lmraddmb likes this.
  35. josemiguelvg

josemiguelvg

Hello, I am new to Unity. I am trying to make the 2D Kit Tutorial, but when I hit import I get a warning saying that the project has dependencies. I am giving the option of skip or download. I chose download. Then I get an error saying the project has invalid dependencies. Looks like the image below. Then I am presented with a list of assets, and when I choose import, get a fatal error, showed in a below image too.

Please help,
    Thanks,
    Jose
    Screen Shot 2019-06-27 at 9.09.26 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-06-27 at 9.09.18 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-06-27 at 9.09.26 PM.png

36. dagoatmanbibba

dagoatmanbibba

Hi,
    Thanks, I'll try it out.

37. unity_lyKFFMlW7wh3Pw

unity_lyKFFMlW7wh3Pw

I have the exact same issue - Unity version 2019.3.0a7

38. rbroders

rbroders

I cannot get this asset to load correctly in 2019.1.8f1. It seems to set the project to the NET 3.5 Scripting Runtime version. This causes lot of compile errors because out variable declarations. If I force the project to Net 4.0, the out errors go away, but I get new errors mostly in CinemachineTrack. Also, there is no Kit Tools Create New Scene menu as described in the documentation. Ugh...

39. lmraddmb

lmraddmb

I also had this issue, but thought the posted one was the solution...

But I was about to answer pretty much that, so thanks tho.

40. Grey_Area

Grey_Area

I ran into this exact same hitch, it really boils my S*** when a product removes things like this and doesn't bother to publish errata for the tutorial.

41. Jeremi360

Jeremi360

Is legal to make port of this asset for other game engine?

42. Kallaste

Kallaste

Hi. I have just started the tutorial, and I am getting the following error about 40 times upon import: /Users/my_user/Development/Unity/Tutorials/2D Game Kit Tutorial/Library/PackageCache/com.unity.textmeshpro@2.0.1/Scripts/Runtime/TMP_TextUtilities.cs(2039,100): error CS1644: Feature `out variable declaration' cannot be used because it is not part of the C# 4.0 language specification

I am using Unity version 2019.1.8f1. I have tried re-importing the project with no change. Is there another Unity version I should be using, or is this some other problem?

43. JacekMackiewicz

JacekMackiewicz

Unity Technologies

Hey Kallaste,

Sorry to hear you're having this problem! You're on the correct Unity version - could I ask you what Operating System you're using?
    I tried to reproduce it but couldn't - here is how to fix the problem and be able to use the kit however:

With the project open go to Edit > Project Settings. Go to the Player section and go into the Other Settings tab. Scroll down to Configuration where the first setting is the Scripting Runtime Version. Yours will be set to .NET 3.5 Equivalent. This needs to be changed to .NET 4.x Equivalent. The project will need to restart the editor, but everything should work fine afterwards!

Good luck with the rest of the project!

44. Kallaste

Kallaste

Thank you! I am on macOS v.10.14.5 (Mojave). I really appreciate your help!

45. Vistitol

Vistitol

Hello.

I have the same error, i am using Unity 2019.3.0a8 and i have the same proble in the Tutorial "John Lemon's Haunted Jaunt: 3D Beginner".

Any solution???

I can finish the "Lemon" tutorial.

Thank you in advance.

46. JacekMackiewicz

JacekMackiewicz

Unity Technologies

Hey Vistitol,

Sorry you ran into this issue! This was a problem with the Unity Hub listing Unity beta and alpha versions towards the top of the Editor Installs list giving off the impression that users should download the newest version and try to use/play the learn projects within said version.
    While this has been removed in the latest Hub version and you can now only download stable releases, it can be disheartening and annoying to download something expecting it to work.

To get our kits and projects to work always make sure you're importing/opening them within the latest stable Unity version - which as of the time of writing is 19.1. When you open the kit in this version you shouldn't run into any issues!

We update our projects whenever a Unity versions exists beta and enters stable so 19.2 is incoming shortly with 19.3 to follow on later this year.

Thanks for your interest and good luck on your Unity journey!

47. milmo

milmo

I followed the text version of the tutorial and now going through watching the video version as well, but when I go back and click on my Spitter, the big green FOV circle has vanished and I can't work out how to get it back so I can practise adjusting it - can anyone help me be able to see it again, or does it only appear when you first place the prefab into the scene?

I'm also having a similar problem when I add another moving platform and the option to Add Node isn't appearing in the Inspector window any more either. I also don't have the rod dotted line to indicate the path, just a blue lightbulb icon underneath it. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, as I just repeated the steps from earlier in the tutorial to click and drag it from the Project window into the Scene, but it's just not showing up the same as it did before. Also, if I click back into the original moving platform that I first placed, the Add Node option is now not there either, even though it's doing the multi-node route I put in before.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  48. rexalix

rexalix

creator kit RPG.

also, my NPC not exitst in game mode after a few steps with quest lessons, no idea what I did wrong but I'll just go forward

Attached Files:

49. kmart94

kmart94

Hi I am unable to successfully import this toolkit. I have tried on multiple versions of Unity, some newer than the versions specified and some that match the versions listed. During the import process Unity crashes and I am left with a broken version of the project that cannot open at all. Instead it crashes each time I try and open it. Has anyone experienced this issue? Has anyone solved it? I had my friend download it and he had no issues. How can I explain my issue better?

50. Oscarguasch

Oscarguasch

In the last version the tile palette doesn't appears in WINDOWS<2D
    Where is it?