Search Unity

Official 2D Game Kit Official Thread

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by Aurore, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Tigersong

Tigersong

Can anyone tell me the difference between Grid and TilemapGrid? I suspect it's just that earlier Unity versions use Grid.

2. zerozapper

zerozapper

This does not seem to work with the 2018.2.0f2 version of unity, it says that some api functions need to update, and i let it, but then the compiler gives plugin errors? on a fresh install of unity and this pack, please help

andrewtkissel likes this.
  3. andrewtkissel

andrewtkissel

I am also running Unity 2018.2.0f2 and seem to be running into the same problem.

4. MisfitProgrammer

MisfitProgrammer

Definitely does not work with the new update. I'm getting errors about plugins.

JwmwiRaniBoro likes this.
  5. prakash21j

prakash21j

how to remove console errors, please help

Attached Files:

MikeRabbit and JwmwiRaniBoro like this.
  6. kingpanks

kingpanks

Even I am having the same problem. Not working with the new Version. Unity 2018.2.0f2.

Please help someone.

7. visioomega

visioomega

hey guys super cool 2d pack im having some trouble as well with the cinemachine and other post processing packs but i have been able to do most of the lessons there great what im doing here today is looking for some advice i want the enemies to walk off ledges can some one identify a script to edit or some other advice in order to accomplish this task

8. visioomega

visioomega

It only works on the beta version download and install that then import 2dGamepack normally you may have some errors still with cinemachine (Post processing dependencies)but you should be able to do the lessons

9. visioomega

visioomega

It only works on the beta version download and install that then import 2dGamepack normally you may have some errors still with cinemachine (Post processing dependencies)but you should be able to do the lessons

10. kingpanks

kingpanks

Thanks, But I actually want to make an official game out of it. So I'm looking for the complete solution. And now the full version is released, so no Beta is there to download.

11. Skeckulous

Skeckulous

It seems there's a few issues with this pack...
    I've been having issues getting it to run on 17.3 and 17.4, on my Mac, where the tiles are partially invisible/rainbow corrupted nonsense. I can screenshot it, if that helps, but it seems like a lot of people are having issues with the tileset. Anyone actually figure out a fix? I've seen a few people posting they may have fixed it but then they don't actually post the steps to fix...

I tried deleting the whole 2d package and redownloading... but to no avail.
    I don't want to download the newest version of Unity, because then I'll also need to do a full update of my machine to the latest OS and that's just a big pain...

Should the download page be updated and say which versions of Unity this works with? Is there a version people are finding that works best?

digitalwrites and Nosey like this.
  12. DevMayCare

DevMayCare

To work around the compiler issues try deleting TextMeshPro under Window>Package Manager. Worked for me on 2018.2.0f2. I could play the game inside unity after that. Not sure if this causes issues later on though.

13. kingpanks

kingpanks

I use Mac, Anything suggestion for that?

14. DevMayCare

DevMayCare

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  15. Tomg2012

Tomg2012

This game kit does not work on 2018.2.0f2 -- I spent over an hour importing and re-importing. Is there a plan to update this package? Is this thread being monitored?

16. visioomega

visioomega

17. Kamyker

Kamyker

Everything works fine for me in 2018.2.0f2 on windows. Just had to download Post-processing and Cinemachine from package manager.

18. rc3d

rc3d

I'm teaching a game design summer camp class and I've been getting similar errors on 3 of the kid's laptops. It's happening on Windows computers with newly installed Unity 2018 and the 2D gamekit downloaded straight from the learn tab of Unity. The compiler errors prevent from running the start scene or any other of the kit scenes in play mode. when prompted to run the auto update API while loading the game for the first time we clicked on "I made a backup, go ahead!" but I've tried it cliking on "no thanks" in the same dialogue and got errors either way.

Errors include:
    "The referenced script on this behaviour is missing" (on several game objects)
    error cs0121: The call is ambiguous between the following methods or properties (on textmeshpro runtime scripts)
    and multiple plugins with the same name " _ " (also textmeshpro related)

Any solutions would be greatly appreciated! I hope to get them up and running with the kit in Unity ASAP.

Elleulla and Skeckulous like this.
  19. utkarshdvd

utkarshdvd

This is what worked for me, Unity 2018.2.0f2
    1. Start a new project, and dont add new packages here
    2. Download the 2D GameKit project from the Asset Store
    3. Delete the TextMesh Pro Asset from Assets/Utilities/TextMesh PRo
    4. Add Cinemachine from the WIndows packages, Window->Package Manager
    5. Then, in the Menu bar, Edit->Project Settings->Editor, in Version Control choose Mode->Visible Meta files
    and in the same Editor Settings,
    6. Asset Serialization->Force Text
    7. Now, in the Menu bar, Window->TextMesh Pro->Import TMP Essential Resources
    8. Finally, Window->TextMesh Pro->Project Files GUID Remapping Tools

scottandrew likes this.
  20. emma_unity

emma_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @jsanvik -- try this fix:
    Go to File > Build Settings
    Select the entire list of Scenes In Build (click on one of them, then Ctrl+A or Cmd+A for Windows vs Mac) to select all of them
    Remove them by pressing Backspace
    From the Project window, select and drag back all of the game kit scenes (Most are located in the Scenes folder, and in the UI and Utilities folders within the Scenes folder. The original scene you created would be located in the Assets folder if you didn't ever move it).
    Exit the Build Settings window

Now try selecting "Different Zone"

21. kingpanks

kingpanks

Thanks Man, It Worked.. Phew.. Thank you so Much!!!!

22. Skeckulous

Skeckulous

Is there any way the main 2dKit could be fixed instead of having to go through all of that?
    Also similar steps for a Mac, I assume?

23. marcuskelly12

marcuskelly12

I'm getting error message dont know what to do about it. Here's the error message.

plugins with the same name 'vcomp120' (found at 'Packages/com.unity.textmeshpro/Plugins/vcomp120.dll' and 'Assets/2DGamekit/Utilities/TextMesh Pro/Plugins/vcomp120.dll'). That means one or more plugins are set to be compatible with Editor. Only one plugin at the time can be used by Editor

24. Skeckulous

Skeckulous

Here's what my tiles are looking like...
    Anyone else having this issue?

Running 17.3 on a Mac

Attached Files:

25. hamaxch

hamaxch

please any one tell me how can be we control on mobile as such how can we create a new mobile touch controller

26. dalytube3

dalytube3

Tilemap sprites does not appear when I switch the game to build in Android phone.
    After switched, The Unity even lost the TilesetGameKit in Tile Palette

Anyone experienced this issues could share? I would appreciate.

Still full sprites in PC, Mac and Standardolone

• Unity 2018.2.0f2

27. dalytube3

dalytube3

any help ???!!
    I spent over 3 days importing and re-importing but no success

28. 3DRedBox

3DRedBox

29. 3DRedBox

3DRedBox

I have the same problems when I tried to install the Android platform.

30. wechat_os_Qy012PfYgQy41IypJo63o13Oo

wechat_os_Qy012PfYgQy41IypJo63o13Oo

I don't find "Kit Tools" in the menu. How can I fix it???

31. nvendel1987

nvendel1987

Hello,

I just installed the 2D Game kit, but it keeps saying: error CS2001: Source file `Assets/Plugins/Editor/JetBrains/Unity3DRider.cs' could not be found

The same goes for al the AI files, but when i check they are all there.

I reimported it twice now but it just doesnt work, what i am doing wrong here... Beginner at work, sorry :p

Thanks!

32. osamajoker

osamajoker

You have to download Post-processing v2 from GitHub and Cinemachine from assets store

33. osamajoker

osamajoker

You have to download Post-processing v2 from GitHub and Cinemachine from assets store

34. Licinio

Licinio

Hi! This tip solved the problem for me.:)

--
    Portfolio
    https://www.artstation.com/liciniosouza (illustrations)
    https://liciniosouza.tumblr.com/ (animations)
    http://bit.ly/2i9Kf90 (video gamereel)

35. HotkangChen

HotkangChen

Excuse me? What has been specifically updated by 1.6 version?

36. smnwttbr

smnwttbr

Unity Technologies

Only fixes for Unity 2018.2.1.

37. smnwttbr

smnwttbr

Unity Technologies

Delete the Assets/Plugins folder, it was included by mistake and will be fixed soon.
    If you still get these errors, try:
    1. choose Assets -> Open C# Project
    2. delete the .csproj and .sln files in the project folder.

38. smnwttbr

smnwttbr

Unity Technologies

To allow textures to be used in on Android, you will need to change the max texture size of your textures to 2048 (Straight from the asset store the Tileset textures are set at 8192).

Screen Shot 2018-08-10 at 15.48.24.png

Skeckulous likes this.
  39. HotkangChen

HotkangChen

There is a question:when I export it to another project, copy the project setting, the same scene looks like different, one's lighting are more stronger. Then I check all post-processing, light setting, all of them are same. What could be the problem?

40. nvendel1987

nvendel1987

Thank u, but i still have the problem that he cant find any .cs files, but they are all there. The Plugin issue was resolved.

- Compilation failed: 142 error(s)

I removed all the .csproj and .sln files in: D:\Program Files\Unity\New Project - Gaming 2D\Assets\2DGamekit but the problem is still there. I don't get it, am i the only one who has this stupid problem?

I really like this kit and want to start with it, but it anoyes me that there keeps coming problems i can't fix... Please help..

Thank u very much!

41. tapiovalli

tapiovalli

Hi all,

I am going through the game kit (which is great, btw!}. When creating and decorating scene I've run into two issues:

1) sometimes there are invisible tiles in the scene. There seems to be nothing but Ellen can't go through or she suddenly walks on air. In editor, I can't select anything in that spot and there's nothing visible. In game mode, it is even possible to "map" the invisible obstacles by by jumping on them and walking.

2) when placing decorative environment sprites, the sprites display badly in game mode, if they overlap. There's flickering and game is switching the overlapping sprites when Ellen walks through. Expectation: the sprites would not flicker but strictly keep their order (back-front) always.

Any suggestions for these?

42. tapiovalli

tapiovalli

1) I fixed this by simply redrawing those invisible tile areas; first fill them with tiles then erase the empty areas.

2) I read about Sprite Renderer and sorted the plants in lower, hanging, upper levels. Now rendering works as expected.

43. Brietr

Brietr

I have the same issue...I Don't know what to do!

44. tapiovalli

tapiovalli

So the solution posted by Magun2 did not solve it for you? I vaguely remember that you have to import the assets after download

45. bravery

bravery

Hi All,

really nice asset, but is there any videos or documents that describe how to build the assets of the 2D game kit, so we can build our own assets same-wise?

Thanks

46. IckytheEskimo

IckytheEskimo

I want to make a "checkpoint" feature. To do this I put an inactive moving platform at the beginning of the game, and when you shoot the switch at the checkpoint area, the moving platform travels between the beginning of the game to the checkpoint. However, when it's game over, the switch doesn't reset. How do I make the switch reset at the game over (when you lose all 5 lives)?

47. trewewor

trewewor

:(

Attached Files:

MikeRabbit likes this.
  48. bengoff69

bengoff69

A tutorial should not cause this much headache. It boots up, even with the newest version, with loads of errors and problems. Your "manual" which I think is just the tutorial, and it should be called that instead of a manual, is kinda ambiguous. You realize you're talking to people who are new to this (otherwise they wouldn't need much of a tutorial) and getting started is just a nightmare. I create a new scene, like the manual said to, and... errors... errors everywhere. can't even move to the next step because nothing works, I've tried to start over and... forced to re-download everything, great. I save it, so I don't have to go through that crap again, try to progress and....... errors.

49. Cbunz

Cbunz

The game kit comes with a checkpoint prefab object. It's under Prefabs > SceneControl. Just drag the checkpoint object to wherever you'd like your checkpoints. Ellen is already wired to keep track of the last checkpoint passed.

50. mhswebmaster

mhswebmaster

When I install the SD Game Kit in my classroom (I teach high school) I get 17 errors on start up. The errors I think are from cinemachine and postprocessingv2 not being allowed to either download or install.. I think I know more about the issue the packages cinemachine never loads on the computer.. It's hard to learn Unity if the program does not load properly. I am going to post some error info that I found. I know that 2 packages will not install for some reason they are:
    • com.unity.cinemachine@2.2.0
    • com.unity.postprocessing@2.0.9-preview

Upon further inspection in the Package Manager these packages have what appears to be an error that says something about a "self signed certificate in the certificate chain."

The error I was looking at says that these packages were unable to be added to the local file system ( I assume this is why they were not written)

Here are some details that might help from the errors I've looked at.

here are two errors that I get in Unity that showed up today...

1 says it can't get to the sites listed in BOLD below and the other mentions a certificate.... My MIS Sonic Wall Manager the manager of the Sonic Wall checked the firewall and is passing both
    Could the "SELF SIGNED CETIFICATE" be blocking something like does something need to be added to the computer's firewall to allow these sites to be trusted??? however the firewalls (windows) are turned off...

Error #1

An error occurred while resolving packages:
    One or more packages could not be added to the local file system:
    com.unity.cinemachine: failed to fetch from registry: https://packages.unity.com/com.unity.cinemachine
    com.unity.postprocessing: failed to fetch from registry: https://packages.unity.com/com.unity.postprocessing

A re-import of the project may be required to fix the issue or a manual modification of C:/Users/davisjt/AppData/Local/Temp/c6c348f268589b84da94713a81ac3d55/Packages/manifest.json file.

Error #2
    An error occurred while resolving packages:
    One or more packages could not be added to the local file system:
    com.unity.cinemachine: self signed certificate in certificate chain
    com.unity.postprocessing: self signed certificate in certificate chain

A re-import of the project may be required to fix the issue or a manual modification of C:/Users/davisjt/AppData/Local/Temp/1d20478b9e1aaff46a9311055b1dfe2f/Packages/manifest.json file.

I loaded this at my house and it worked no issues... it has to have something to do with at school and the security etc...I copied the above to directories from my computer and added them to a system at school and the 17 errors went away SO Something is preventing the 2 packages from installing at school.
    OK.... so any help will be appreciated.