Search Unity

Official 2D Game Kit Official Thread

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by Aurore, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Moosatronic

Moosatronic

much like the user above I have followed the tutorial instructions exactly but when opening the tile palette I do not see the sprites shown in the tutorial and in fact it is blank. If you could help that'd be great so I can get farther,

2. kant0000

kant0000

I am experiencing the same issue.
    Using 2018.1

3. Interdictor81

Interdictor81

Same problem with 2018.1, tested with 2017.4 on another computer, works like expected there. So looks like it's something in 2018.1

4. rsr137

rsr137

How does damager gizmos work ? When we add damager component go gameobject we can adjust its size and offset from editor with gizmo. I inspected Damager.cs but couldn't find which lines enabled these gizmos.

I tried to copy paste entire Damager.cs script to a new script GizmoTest.cs and added this to gameobject. Gizmos didn't show up.

I have same issue too on 2018.1.0f2:
    Unity 2018.1.0f2_64bit.png

Here is 2017.3.1f1_64bit (same machine):
    Unity 2017.3.1f1_64bit.png

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  5. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hello Devs,

Same as the many users above. Downloaded latest Unity build on May 5th 2018. Completed lesson 1 fine and lesson 2 (2D GameKit) after the install and instructions I goto Tile Editor and do not see any tiles like the tutorial states.

I also clicked the pipette icon as Unity Dev helpers state but no luck. It seems like a bug. Rather than wait months for a fixaround until next release of Unity can this be fixed/updated please?

There are around 5 errors messages regarding incomplete packages (warnings below) and checking the debug for you it seems they are missing. Probably whats causing the bug?

Those error messages are as follows (on the bottom of the screen regardless of what you do in the editor).

Error Log 1 at bottom upon loading 2D GameKit Lesson:
    SendMessage cannot be called during Awake, CheckConsistency, or OnValidate

Error Log 2 at bottom upon loading 2D GameKit Lesson:
    Assets/2DGamekit/Utilities/Cinemachine/Base/Runtime/Behaviours/CinemachineVirtualCamera.cs(318,25): warning CS0618: `UnityEngine.Object.DestroyObject(UnityEngine.Object)' is obsolete: `use Object.Destroy instead.'

Error Log 3 at bottom upon loading 2D GameKit Lesson:
    Assets/2DGamekit/Utilities/Cinemachine/Base/Runtime/Behaviours/CinemachineVirtualCamera.cs(337,25): warning CS0618: `UnityEngine.Object.DestroyObject(UnityEngine.Object)' is obsolete: `use Object.Destroy instead.'

Error Log 4 at bottom upon loading 2D GameKit Lesson:
    Assets/2DGamekit/Utilities/Editor/StandardParticlesShaderGUI.cs(116,9): warning CS0612: `UnityEditor.ColorPickerHDRConfig' is obsolete

Error Log 5 at bottom upon loading 2D GameKit Lesson:
    Assets/2DGamekit/Utilities/Editor/StandardParticlesShaderGUI.cs(410,30): warning CS0618: `UnityEditor.MaterialEditor.TexturePropertyWithHDRColor(UnityEngine.GUIContent, UnityEditor.MaterialProperty, UnityEditor.MaterialProperty, UnityEditor.ColorPickerHDRConfig, bool)' is obsolete: `Use TexturePropertyWithHDRColor(GUIContent label, MaterialProperty textureProp, MaterialProperty colorProperty, bool showAlpha)'

Error Log 6 at bottom upon loading 2D GameKit Lesson:
    Assets/2DGamekit/Utilities/Editor/StandardParticlesShaderGUI.cs(436,34): warning CS0618: `UnityEditor.MaterialEditor.TexturePropertyWithHDRColor(UnityEngine.GUIContent, UnityEditor.MaterialProperty, UnityEditor.MaterialProperty, UnityEditor.ColorPickerHDRConfig, bool)' is obsolete: `Use TexturePropertyWithHDRColor(GUIContent label, MaterialProperty textureProp, MaterialProperty colorProperty, bool showAlpha)'

Error Log 7 at bottom upon loading 2D GameKit Lesson:
    Assets/2DGamekit/Utilities/Editor/StandardParticlesShaderGUI.cs(116,59): warning CS0612: `UnityEditor.ColorPickerHDRConfig' is obsolete

-----
    The problem is you cannot continue the 2DGame Lessons. Skipping sections isn't a good way of learning.

Sprite-Idea and phranklyn like this.
  6. phranklyn

phranklyn

Does this Kit work with Unity 2018.1? Newby here and I've downloaded the kit, created new scene, so far so good but when I open the tile Editor and select TileSetGameKit the Tile Palette is blank? Any help would be appreciated :)

7. LolLog

LolLog

Hi there

Complete newby to Unity. Have downloaded the 2d game and struggling to find the moving platform.
    Clicked Prefabs in project window and then selected Interactables but there is no MovingPlatform to select. It just isn't there.

Can anyone help pls?
    Thanks

8. Tigersong

Tigersong

For now, it seems the best solution is: Download Unity 2017; open the Asset Store from the editor; download the kit. (It's under Unity Essentials/Sample Projects.) You're welcome.

I also have a question. It doesn't seem like tiles count as GameObjects; what does the editor classify them as?

9. KanBi

KanBi

is it ok if i make it to my own custom game and upload to Play store or appstore? please answer me.

10. Sprite-Idea

Sprite-Idea

Came here for the same problem. i downgraded to the 2017 version and i still got errors :-/

11. KanBi

KanBi

can i use this free asset to my publish commercial game to android/ios? is there any license?

12. Tigersong

Tigersong

You can upload your own game; just don't claim that you created the sample project.

13. VP_no1

VP_no1

tilepalette blank as for the other users ... i see 0 response here
    i am begining to doubt if unity realy backs this up
    this is such a waste of time and so low support ...

a buddy tried it similar in 1.0 -- same result ...

it is clear to me u have very big bugs or you dont inform people to patch everything for this to work ...
    i am patching it now and maybe ill get good results and infrm all this people what u should have done a lot of time ago

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    wakaraneko_unity likes this.
  14. wakaraneko_unity

wakaraneko_unity

Looks like that is a BUG in unity 2018.1. https://forum.unity.com/threads/bug-tile-palettes-in-the-2d-game-kit-are-invisible.530022/

You may want to use the beta version - Unity 2018.2.0b3 - which includes the fix for this problem, while waiting for the public release.

2D: Fix tiles not rendered in tile palette window (1010103) https://unity3d.com/unity/beta-download#release-notes

Same here, it is pretty frustrating that the official team is not announcing such a critical issue for us to know, as I spend quite a long time to address the issue (I firstly thought if my project setup is somewhat wrong...).

Nerrad65 likes this.
  15. VP_no1

VP_no1

i deleted manually the project and then started 2 times
    after clicking start it did a lot of importing and after importing assets BAM closed !
    2 times in a row ... so its a big problem either with unity patform either with this game kit
    ai am so dissapointed i lost so many hours for nothing on my first steps in unity ..

ill try the 2 version and then close the computer of frustration if nothing is solved ...
    i used a lot of programs and tutorials and never had such bad experience ...

LE: it works in beta but after 2 repairs of the project

wakaraneko_unity likes this.
  16. Alphapup

Alphapup

17. jsanvik

jsanvik

When I try to teleport the player to another scene using the scene control prefabs (transitionStart), it won't let me select Transition type: Different zone when I have Ellen selected as the transitioning object. This worked for me about a week ago, what might I be doing wrong?

OoBUBST4oO likes this.
  18. OoBUBST4oO

OoBUBST4oO

Having this same issue. I started a new project and the transitions work fine. Copied and pasted the scripts for the transition prefab into the old (not working) project. They are identical but it still doesn't work. I'm wondering if there's some asset that I've included that is throwing it off?

19. s00p3rj03l

s00p3rj03l

To ALL people with trouble viewing the palette, install Unity 2017.3. This is what the kit was tested with and it fixes the empty palette issue. Do NOT only install the editor. It didn't work for me. I had to do the full install and replace Unity 2018.1:

https://unity3d.com/get-unity/downl...432.59860133.1526404170-1041729670.1526404170

nuwang38 likes this.
  20. vaguiiinho

vaguiiinho

how i delete the full project of my computer? i want delete all materials, texture etc.... from my computer, i want download others thing and i can't do that because i don't have more space.... can someone help me please?

21. wilariz

wilariz

Hi Clintonb. Which files exactly you changed? I tried with sprites but nothing happens.

22. Vahidheydari

Vahidheydari

why my tile palette is empety?
    i use last update of unity

Attached Files:

• ww.PNG
      ww.PNG
      File size:
      564.2 KB
      Views:
  23. JC_LEON

JC_LEON

question..
    has this tutorial even an inventory canvas example in it that i can reuse for other projects?'
    and is there any type on data persistence example between the levels??

24. Tigersong

Tigersong

It classifies them as part of the TilemapGrid object. Now I want to know how to add one to my scene; I created a new one without going through the Tutorial menu up top.

25. Stohrm

Stohrm

In my case both are empty and I'm still sifting through all these posts to see if anyone else ever responded to you, etc.
    Also, in my case, they were there the first time I downloaded the kit; but files on my computer managed to get moved and/or erased and now I'm unable to (re)download the kit again.

It appears to redownload and launches as if everything is there; but the Tile Map Palletes are devoid of any sprites and I have yet to discover how to fix them.

PS - Finally finished reading through all the posts and I see that this is an issue with 2018.1...; but I did learn how to enable (re)downloading the files thanks to one of JacekPapaPolski's posts/replies.

Anyway, I'll just hold off on trying this for now it would seem.

Thanks

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  26. malialis

malialis

I am also getting a blank tile palette. Have you gotten it to work yet?

27. Stohrm

Stohrm

I went through all the trouble of downloading 2017.4.3... But the issue is still there. I'm trying the 2018.2.0... Beta now.

PS. The Tile palette worked in the Beta; but there were all kinds of API errors and such.

I did find that it seems to work in 2017.4.4... However I also received the following Warning:
    "SendMessage cannot be called during Awake, CheckConsistency, or OnValidate" and I'll have to look into that.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  28. li921629263

li921629263

@Aurore
    I am a Chinese, and English is not very good.
    I found a bug.
    The code is in FixedUpdate in the damager component.
    The pointA and pointB don't calculation the transform‘s rotation.

Follow code:

Vector2 pointA = (Vector2)m_DamagerTransform.position + facingOffset - scaledSize * 0.5f;
    Vector2 pointB = pointA + scaledSize;

29. Dev_UHG

Dev_UHG

I am having the same issue: In Version 2018.1 i have completely different layout of the Transition Point (Script) for "Different Zone" --> it seems Unity can not interpret the "Script". In Unity 2018 I could change back to "different Zone" by pressing "Reset" on the Transition Point, but as stated above no fields are displayed (see screenshot).

With Version 2017.3.0f3 this works: I defined two levels and could implemend teleporting between them.
    For now I will stick to that one.

Attached Files:

30. nuwang38

nuwang38

hi, i have few questions about this 2D game kit.

1. can I make a mobile game app using this toolkit?
    2. if possible, can i published the game on google play store, and can i use admob ?
    3. can i reskin this model and objects/background?

thank you.

31. nuwang38

nuwang38

update your unity to Unity 2018.1.2f1 : https://unity3d.com/unity/whatsnew/unity-2018.1.2

tile palette works fine in this version for me. :)

32. Leia

Leia

Hey!
    When I import my own animated objects into the scene, the lighting is almost blinding and the coloring becomes too bright. Does anyone know a way to fix this or prevent it from happening?

33. JeneralBen

JeneralBen

Could someone post the steps between looking at this kit on the web site to the beginning of the tutorial?

People say that you need to browse the asset store from inside the editor, but the Unity Hub / Editor won't let you just get to the "integrated" asset store without creating a project, will they? So it's like a catch 22.

I've tried clicking through the web site in a browser to add it to my account, I've tried creating a project using a 2D template and adding the kit as an asset, but I'm still just getting a blank project it seems.

Ok,
    1) So it seems that "open in Unity Editor" may mean that it is going to the asset page in the Asset Store tab of the editor. Clicking on the pink icon there seems to cause something to happen. My mistake was to not assume that I should have opened the editor and started a blank project so I could add an asset to my resources. Thumbs down from a new user perspective.

2) After that, the pink asset store button says "Import" and warns you that you'll overwrite your current project if you proceed.

3) After proceeding I get a message saying that all of the assets are already in my project.

4) I click around in the Assets > scenes and see that I'm looking at some other 2d game template. Perhaps I had opened a different 2d lesson from somewhere else?

5) The pink icon in the asset store still says "Import", I click on it, get the warning again, but this time the thing chugs along and I end up with a window showing me all of the things that have been imported (the "import unity package" window).

6) click Ok and the system does a lot of work. It seems I am ready to follow the tutorial but I might still have some other 2D tutorial junk in addition to the intended kit components.

The workflow is counterintuitive (similar to a lot of engineering software), I hope they've considered restructuring their integration of the Asset Store.

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  34. jsanvik

jsanvik

I started a new project too and it's working again. Strange.

35. TagusRiver

TagusRiver

Hi, to everyone having this issue, per the tip above from nuwang38 from May 25, I also downloaded version 2018.1.2, which I didn't even know existed, and the tile palette is no longer a problem (along with another huge number of bugs they fixed).

36. TagusRiver

TagusRiver

Hi, to everyone having this issue, per the tip above from nuwang38 from May 25, I also downloaded version 2018.1.2, which I didn't even know existed, and the tile palette is no longer a problem (along with another huge number of bugs they fixed).

37. TagusRiver

TagusRiver

38. TagusRiver

TagusRiver

39. TagusRiver

TagusRiver

40. jsanvik

jsanvik

It it just the sprites in the immidiate area around the object? I had the same issue, but I found just deleting the light sources attatched to [the player] does the job. Everything looks normal.

41. jsanvik

jsanvik

In my first scene, everything works fine. As soon as I switch between scenes, I all of a sudden cannot move and am not effected by gravity! The other controls still work, I can still shoot and melee as well as hold the direction keys to pan the camera. This didn't used to happen, I used to be able to move just fine in any scene. What might cause this?

I get the error NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

42. Lupinus

Lupinus

Update 2:
    According to Unity 2018.2, the 2D Game Kit contains APIs that are obsolete in the 2018.2 version (but apparently weren't in the 2018.1 version as I didn't get this message). So it looks like, if you want to use the 2D Game Kit, you CAN'T use the 2018 Unity engine without fixing the 2D Game Kit/Tutorial manually (i haven't had any luck with the "automatic" upgrade of the 2D Game Kit to 2018.2). So, if you want to use the 2D and the 3D Game Kits, you'll have to find a way to get both the latest 2017 and the 2018 versions working on the same system (might be easy, I don't know at the moment). Or, if you just want to use them as a learning tool you'd need to install the latest 2017 Engine, go through the 2D Game Kit/Tutorial, then abandon that and replace the 2017 with the 2018 Unity Version so you can go though the 3D Game Kit/Tutorial (as 2018 is required by the 3D Game Kit). I have no clue if having both versions on your system will allow both kits to work as other posters have indicated it won't and I didn't have any luck with just installing them. So, unless I want to spend, even more, time troubleshooting this, I'm to just conclude that the 2D Game Kit is useless past Unity 2017 and I've spent all of my available time today troubleshooting the tutorial just to run into a dead end.

Update 1:
    Case in point: I've just spent the past 2-3 hours attempting to get the 2D Game Kit working... instead of 2-3 hours going though the tutorial and learning. As I also want to work with the 3D Game Kit, I'm updating to the 2018.2 beta version (per a previous posters suggest) however I still haven't got it working. I've just uninstalled ALL unity tools from my system and am re-installing them from scratch to see if that will work. Note: I was able to get the Unity 2018.2 beta update... however when I ran the 2D Game kit, I no longer saw the editor tool in the main menu so I can't run through the tutorial... i.e. The 2D kit launches but says it needs to be upgraded to the newest version.

Original Post:
    To all who are say "just install the 2017 version of Unity": While I agree that this may fix the issue, it creates yet another issue regarding the "3D Game Kit" since that requires the 2018 version. So, just reverting back to the previous version isn't the best fix. Updating to the 2018.2 Beta version may be the best method if you want to be able to use the 3D Game kit as well (not sure as I still haven't got it working with the 2018.2 beta). Also, per one of the posters, it sounds like having both 2017 and the 2018 versions doesn't actually fix this however, as someone with limited drive space, having two versions running on the same system isn't desirable... even if it could be made to work.

(Note: The following isn't a slam on the Unity Developers, I appreciate the hard work they put into this and their tutorials.)

Concerns: I realize the tutorials are free, and the Unity Engine (Personal) version is free, so we shouldn't complain about bugs, however this gets frustrating as the tutorials aren't being kept up to date and when issues arise:
    -If a fix doesn't exist (or is really difficult to find); this causes major frustrations to the "Student" and severely impacts the learning process, if not derailing it completely.
    -If a fix does exist; there is still an impact to the learning process as many "Students" are learning from scratch (i.e. are not coding professionals) and have limited time due to work and family.

These are the types of issues that make me NOT want to hand over $$$ for a pro versions of this OR other Development Engines (since all suffer from these types of issues). I would be more apt to buy pro versions of Development Engines, if there were less bugs and the tutorials (i.e. their learning libraries) were kept up to date. As an Information Technology Professional with a Family, my time available for learning this is limited and when you can slate an hour or two towards learning and you run into a bug (not due to something on your end) that causes you to spend several hours locating a fix, you start to feel like a troubleshooting grunt for the tool versus a student learning something new. In the industry, I've been coding for over a decade using various languages and this is the one key factor I've found to be common among all. I've attempted to use tutorials for many of the major Development Engines and there are always issues with them being up to date for the newest versions of their language/utilities/etc. As such, I've primarily been using YouTube to learn the processes... I know those aren't always for the latest versions, but the sheer number of them and their variety allows me to dump the project if I run into major issues and jump to a different tutorial that works. (note: I haven't ran across many that didn't.. so far).

With Unity alone, I've attempted to run though their tutorials on several occasions and have become frustrated due to bugs causing me to have to stop the tutorial process, research some fix, implement it if one exists, then try to get back on track with the tutorial (note: of all the problems, I've only had 1 or 2 that were related to my system... nearly all were bugs in the engines themselves or due to outdated information). From a Unity "Corporate" perspective, the better and faster these potential developers can learn, the more chance they have a actually developing a great title and the better the chances of Unity getting royalties. I know this percentage is minimal but, to me, that seems to be one of the two main focus points of putting the engine out there for free.

Again, I know the personal version is free and you get what you pay for so this isn't a "ding" towards the developers. I've been utilizing freeware for, literally, decades and have ran into countless issues so I'm used to this and understand it's just how it is. I was just voicing my frustrations, so take from this what you will and keep moving forward.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    TagusRiver likes this.
  43. dushukai

dushukai

I'm facing a problem. Say I want to make a skill which need a movement, should I move the character by code or by animation. If by code, the movement can't be very cool. However, if by animation, then the character wont move in the correct direction if facing left, because the character is facing left by flipping x of its sprite render and the rotation is not changed actually, so the animation will still play on right even if I'm facing left. So I'm wondering what is this Kit supposed us to do in this case.

pRob3 likes this.
  44. TagusRiver

TagusRiver

Hi, I am using 2018.2 Beta.

Anyone else having this issue in the Teleporting portion of the tutorial?

Here's the tutorial link: https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/projects/2d-game-kit/teleporting-player?playlist=49633

Specifically this section of the page:

Teleporting to another Scene
    To make the player transition to a new Scene, we need two prefabs:
    • TransitionStart is the same prefab we used in the previous section; it “sends” the player to the destination. It contains a Transition Start Component, which defines all the properties for where the teleportation starts, and where the teleportation should take the player. Place this prefab where you want the transition to start.
    Teleporting within a Scene works fine, and uses a script called Transition Point. But when you get to the paragraph above, the sentence I highlighted in red is not accurate. There is no TransitionStart script within the TransitionStart prefab.

Did I miss something, or did they forget to add this script to that prefab? Anyone know of a workaround? One thought I had is to see if could reverse engineer my own script and add it as a new component, but I would have to dig deep into the within scene component to figure it out, even then I'm not sure I could...

45. Dev_UHG

Dev_UHG

Hi
    how can I create my own enemies based for example on "Chomper"?

I created one Chomper in my test scene my chomper, then changed some first animations (walk, hit, death). The other states /animations are currently not contained in the state machine. When I add to the Walk State the Chomper Patrol SMB scribt, the second time this script is called, it raises a non reference exception (no Monobehaviour instance).

I did not find any explanation how the enemy scripting works. This would be a very helpful thing to use this kit as starting point.

Thanks for any help

46. Dev_UHG

Dev_UHG

Found the bug in my Scene: another incomplete enemy (no rigid Body, etc.), but using the same animator
    Still an explanation on the scitping of the enemies would be a great benefit to the overall kit.

By the way: the kit is really fun and great to work with as a starting point.
    Thanks

47. dlogan19

dlogan19

trouble using transition point... i don't know what happened but it just don't switch from same scene into different zone

48. Naoumis

Naoumis

Is it possible to prefab the boss(Gunner with all animations/hit effects etc) and extract it from the scene and place it in another scene?

CodyBear likes this.
  49. devbyskc

devbyskc

Hi. I am a solo developer and somewhat Unity newbie. I saw the kit and watched the video lessons to learn about it. I was impressed and it fit the bill for me to make 2D games. I was running Unity 2017.4 and installed the kit from the Asset Store (version 1.3). When I started working through the tutorial and Getting Started guide, I ran into an issue with the Tilemap window not showing any tiles. Responses from the Community was to upgrade to Unity 2018.4 which I did. It resolved the Tilemap issue, but I then ran into the pressure pad to open door not working. I submitted a bug report as I tried 4 times following the steps in the tutorial. In sum, what am I to do? I want to finish the tutorial and then spend time exploring how you put the kit together so I can learn more. But I am wondering if I will run into other issues in other lessons. What are your suggestions so I can gain the most learning from the kit? Thank you.

UPDATE-6/18/18
    Since I posted the above, I uninstalled and did a fresh install of Unity 2018.1.5 and it solved my issues. The Tilemap window shows the tiles and the pressure pad activates the door opening. So if anyone commenting above is still having issues using the kit, I strongly recommend doing a fresh install of the latest version.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  50. ddc_Cl

ddc_Cl

try to open this within a older 2D Project, and throw some error because the project didnt have some other packages i download the package, but the cinemachine dont, because it download the last version, 2.2.0 and it change something about the PostProcessingComponent that now some script of the 2D Kit dont want to Compile and dunno how to change em to work again :/

visioomega likes this.