Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official 2D Game Kit Official Thread

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by Aurore, Feb 12, 2018.

1. muhammad661

muhammad661

hello

i have downloaded the pack but when i click play in unity it just shows blue screen nothing else. what should i do ?

2. perej222

perej222

I'm also having issues downloading the kit from the asset store, my version of unity is up to date. Anyone else know the reason why?

3. Madspeitersen

Madspeitersen

Hey. Thanks for a great 2D kit. Does anyone know how to change the Color Overlay that is being drawn on top of all graphics. My Colors keep being slightly "pinkys" ?

Thanks,

4. Madspeitersen

Madspeitersen

I think I got it, it was the color grading in GlobalPostProcessingProfile. Newbie mistake ;)

5. JacekMackiewicz

JacekMackiewicz

Unity Technologies

Hi Sybere,
    The sprites were all drawn in Photoshop and exported as .png files into Unity.

Hey TokyoDan,
    Don't worry the live session will be uploaded to YouTube shortly!

Hi Lifeordeal,
    Touch controls aren't supported by our game kit but feel free to figure it out yourself using the tutorials over at: https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/s/mobile-touch

Hey Nix-Nox,
    Sorry to hear about this problem! Did you download the beta release of the Game kit before it's full release? The _TemplateScene functionality was added after the beta release of the kit. If you make sure to delete your current version of the project (C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Asset Store-5.x\Unity Technologies\UnityEssentialsSampleProjects) and re-download the 2D Game Kit on the Asset Store. Hopefully this will help resolve your problem!

6. Aminpk

Aminpk

how can i create my own character, as available in art folder, i can create a character in photoshop, but the series of photos for animation made me tired. please reply

valonsoft likes this.
  7. PokaMunkee

PokaMunkee

I have a massive lag or slowness even though my fps is 100+. My pc is i5, 8gig ram with nvidia 1060. I've tried reinstalling but the kit still runs slowly. First time trying any sort of program such as unity so sorry if the solution is obvious. Thanks.

8. valakot

valakot

9. trebor-7

trebor-7

Hi. I'm new in the forum.

How can I do to have multiple instances of the player in the same scene?

10. JackieBalls123

JackieBalls123

So i have tried to down load it multiple times and every time it pops up with an error report asking me to report it what do i do

11. anilo

anilo

I am loving the game.
    I am stuck in Zone 4 for some reason.
    The character has picked up two keys so far. But, the character is unable to move forward in Zone4.

https://screencast.com/t/RGA3gUUCWE

12. anilo

anilo

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2018
  13. Miketysonjr

Miketysonjr

you forgot to pick up your weapon at zone 2 or 3 , you need a gun to shot the switch above of door ....

And i have a question ,... when i adjusted " shots per second" in ranged setting ,... initial is 2 , then i changed it to 200 ,... and there is nothing change at speed attack when i try to shot ??? What happened ???

14. JulioJAB

JulioJAB

First of all, congratulations for the excelente Package, very complete.
    Now, I´m having a problema with the Tilemap (in this case, the floor under ELLEN), it desapear from all scenes (see image below). I already try to delete de package and install it again, but de problem persist. I´m using the Unity version "2017.3.1f1 Personal".
    If anyone can help, I´ll appreciate very much.
    Thanks for now.
    Captura de tela 2018-03-15 10.56.25.png

15. UnityDeveloper2

UnityDeveloper2

Hello, small bug to report in 2DGameKit/Scripts/Character/MonoBehaviours/Damager.cs
    [Tooltip("If set, the player will be forced to respawn to latest checkpoint in addition to loosing life")]
    [Tooltip("If set, an invincible damageable hit will still get the onHit message (but won't loose any life)")]

loosing and loose should be losing and lose, respectively.

Anyways, great kit, if there's better places to report bugs, let me know. It might motivate me to write up some of the more complicated bugs I've found.

16. masterBo40

masterBo40

Hello . I have updated on the 17th of February. After that, the project does not turn on. Instead, there is an empty gray screen and this. ://gyazo.com/ad116d5a9a6a655224728382a386e3d0

17. anilo

anilo

Just tried to make a mobile version. Performance is awful. Would greatly appreciate any pointers you might have on how I can improve the performance on mobile.

valakot likes this.
  18. yazidane

yazidane

can i upload game created using this kit to play store

19. valakot

valakot

You sure can if you don't just upload it as is but make something of your own with it. Your levels, your story and so on and so forth.

20. valakot

valakot

Any news on 3D version?

21. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

Funny you should say that, check back in the next few days :)

valakot likes this.
  22. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

valakot likes this.
  23. valakot

valakot

24. gwolf

gwolf

Hi,
    Could anyone direct me to where the code is that handles the parallax effect on the backgrounds. I'd like to dig into it a little deeper but can't figure out how it's been set up.
    Thanks.

25. Hopenow

Hopenow

Hi, first of I would love to thank your whole team for making this kit....I've always wanted to make video games and now im on step 1 of a 5 to 10 years goal of making something worthwhile. Well more like .0000001 step of 1 but either way im on the way.

My situation is i'm messing around with the background, assets>art>sprites> environment.
    My question is how do you get them behind in the background b/c its currently blocking the "tile" or path?

26. JacekMackiewicz

JacekMackiewicz

Unity Technologies

Hi Gwolf!
    There's no code needed to make parallax work! :) Simply move the sprites along the Z-axis and the distance from the camera will get picked up and give the illusion of parallax motion. You will see that the majority of our sprites are separated into "Background" or "Foreground" where they are then further moved along the Z-axis for this depth-scrolling illusion!

Hey Hopenow,
    Glad you're enjoying the kit and welcome to your game creation journey! :)
    When your background appears in front of tiles there are two things to check for which to fix this: Firstly make sure that the Z-axis distance of the background is the same as that of the TilemapGrid (they should both be set to 0 by default)
    Next, like all the other parts of this kit which contain sprites, the background gameobject should have a "Sprite Renderer" attached to it. Within this sprite Renderer you will find "Order in Layer". This "Order in Layer" is the number you want to change to any negative number - The Tilemap is rendered on 0, so any number below 0 will appear behind the tilemap tiles, much like any number above 0 will appear in front of the tilemap tiles. It's important to keep in mind other objects as well however (In case you have any decorative plants for example you'd want to set them to -1, and the background to -2 for example)

LordYabo and Tigersong like this.
  27. Hopenow

Hopenow

Hey Hopenow,
    Glad you're enjoying the kit and welcome to your game creation journey! :)
    When your background appears in front of tiles there are two things to check for which to fix this: Firstly make sure that the Z-axis distance of the background is the same as that of the TilemapGrid (they should both be set to 0 by default)
    Next, like all the other parts of this kit which contain sprites, the background gameobject should have a "Sprite Renderer" attached to it. Within this sprite Renderer you will find "Order in Layer". This "Order in Layer" is the number you want to change to any negative number - The Tilemap is rendered on 0, so any number below 0 will appear behind the tilemap tiles, much like any number above 0 will appear in front of the tilemap tiles. It's important to keep in mind other objects as well however (In case you have any decorative plants for example you'd want to set them to -1, and the background to -2 for example)[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much, it works! One minor problem I bump into...when i play around with the new scene I made, occasionally Ellen will bump into a hidden "tile"? where i would jump and something not there will obstruct Ellen. It's possible to hop on it too. I closed everything and reload the map. I tried to hold shift and erase the spot. Press w to highlight the area if there is something over there and none of them works. Any idea how to solve the minor bug?

28. louislegros

louislegros

I'm trying to figure out a way to edit the state machines or player input scripts to implement double jump. I'm having a bit of a hard time going through the files and figuring out where/how the jumping is implementing and modifying it.

I think the call to start a jump is in LocomotionSMB, but I'm not 100% sure & how much I'd have to change with the way controls are implemented.

edit:
    I found out a way.

I added a function in PlayerCharacter.CS to check for double jumping. I then call that function from AirborneSMB to test if I should make a call to SetVerticalMovement.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  29. TherealDrJ

TherealDrJ

Hello I am having the same issue the first person on this thread mentioned. For some reason when I click the download button nothing happens. I've tried other assets and they download fine. I have the latest version of unity. Please help!

30. louislegros

louislegros

I ran into another issue. I was trying to make a timed race/puzzle.

My idea was to have a pressure pad open a door across the level. I linked the pad and the door and the opening worked fine. However, I wanted to on release of the pressurepad to call the animator to close the door after say 60 seconds.

I could not figure out how to add a delay to invocation of the animator.play(string) function.

31. anilo

anilo

How can I learn more about the Behavior tree(AI) functionality?
    I've read the one pager here: https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/projects/2d-game-kit/behaviour-tree?playlist=49633
    and I've tried to follow the code here: MissileGolem.cs

Is there any type of documentation/direction that you can provide so that I can understand a bit more about Behavior trees and how it is applied in this game?

Some type of learning path would be helpful.

32. valonsoft

valonsoft

Looking great so far. Any tips on how to replace the main character (Ellen) would be much appreciated

33. whdeejay

whdeejay

Thanks for the kit it's great, but I'm having the same question a few people made and it has not been answered... How do you replace Ellen for out own character .. Please Help .. Thanks a Million.

34. pantlessbandit

pantlessbandit

Hello! I am using Unity 2017.4.0.f1 and just downloaded the 2d Game kit. After clicking `Start` Unity opens and then there is nothing but blank windows. I can see the assets in the project directory but nothing loads so I cant play the game or even see it. Not sure if this is why but when I open it in unity I see a warning message saying "SendMessage cannot be called during Awake, CheckConsistency, or OnValidate." Total Unity nub here and would appreciate some guidance as I couldnt find it in the docs. Thanks!

Attached Files:

35. anilo

anilo

Could you share the original PSD file for the Ellen character so that I can enhance it?
    Then I could add more animations to it as well.

36. prethon

prethon

Can I use some art asset in my game?

37. web2ajax

web2ajax

InfoPost

Alguém sabe onde conseguir os textos? Não consigo editar textos do InfoPost1, alguém tem um vídeo ou um tutorial? Eu não encontrei nada na documentação. obrigado

juliacamargo2011 likes this.
  38. anilo

anilo

It looks like you have made some great progress on the 2D Kit.

Do you have any suggestions on where I can learn more about the Behavior Tree (AI) concepts?

39. Muhammad-Ghazeer

Muhammad-Ghazeer

I want to change the texture or colour of Animated character Ellen in this Kit. How can I do this? there are prefab files in this Kit but no PNG files

40. bcmorgan96

bcmorgan96

Excuse me? How would I make a pause menu with multiple scenes? And how would I have the resume and quit options for it?

41. jt7785

jt7785

In my new PC, I've tried downloading the project, but when I open it I get the following error:
    https://imgur.com/a/UxTqwLN

I've downloaded the project before (in my old PC), and everything was fine.

Running version 2017.4.1f1 on Windows 10.

42. Tigersong

Tigersong

Getting the same error as pantlessbandit, in Unity 2017.4.0f1 Personal version. I'd also like to say, "I was wondering where I could find a character sprite that didn't use legacy animations."

43. JacekMackiewicz

JacekMackiewicz

Unity Technologies

Hey Hopenow,

Hmm... not quite sure what this could be - try highlighting objects by selecting them in the hierarchy and see if theres an object which shows a collider but no sprite renderer possibly? Or it could be that some obstacle is being rendered behind the background. When you create a new scene do you still get this issue?

Congrats on figuring it out! :D

Hey TherealDrJ,

Sorry to hear you're having this problem! By the latest version of Unity do you mean the stable releases or beta? Do you have enough space on your hard drive? Are you downloading from the Asset Store or from the "Learn" section in the Unity Launcher? Seems like there could be an issue with downloading the project through the Unity Hub Learn Tab. I'm afraid there's not much I can help with without this information other than the classical "try reinstalling the project/the editor"

Hi Valonsoft and Whdeejay,

Replacing the character is out of the scope of this kit which is intended as a learning tool. Have a look at our other 2D tutorials to see how you could set up a 2D character outside of this kit.

Heya Pantslessbandit and Tigersong,

It seems 2017.4 opens any project with a template scene - everything should still work fine however! If you go into the Scenes folder within the 2DGamekit folder in the Project window and open up the "Start" scene can you play through the game correctly? Don't worry about the warning - you can ignore it/clear the console to get rid of it!

Hi Prethon,

Yep! Feel free to use our art assets in your game :)

Hi Web2Ajax,

2DGamekit -> Utilities -> LocalizationPhrases -> English Phrases. Expand "Phrases" in Inspector and edit the text away!

Hi Anilo,

The Learn Hub contains a page dedicated to the 2D Game Kit with the Behaviour Tree being one of the topics - https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/projects/2d-game-kit/behaviour-tree?playlist=49633

Heya Muhammad-Ghazeer,

All PNG files are located in 2DGamekit -> Art -> Sprites -> AnimatedSprites -> Ellen -> Animations. There are however a tonne of sprites for Ellen there so colouring them would take a very long time - you could quickly "hack" together a colour change by selecting the Ellen prefab within the Prefabs folder and changing the colour in her Sprite Renderer component.

Heya Bcmorgan96,

The Pause menu in the 2D Game Kit is set up to work in any scene and with the functionality you are looking for.

Hi Jt7785,

Sorry about this issue! It seems like it's an issue with the package when downloaded through Unity Hub... Could you delete the package displayed in the error in that location? (C:\users\yourname\appdata\roaming\unity\assetstore-5.x\unity technologies\sample projects) and then try downloading it from the Asset Store instead? Also would you mind sharing how you downloaded the project? Which Unity Hub version, how you opened the project, etc? Any information would be greatly appreciated :)

44. Tigersong

Tigersong

I've always wondered something about the sample projects. Namely: Are we meant to mess around with them? Copy their assets into our own projects? Just do whatever we want (besides claim them as our own work, naturally)

45. NetWanderer

NetWanderer

Using Unity 2017.4 - freshly downloaded, and this mornings download of this kit, when I go into the Tile Palette I cannot see the 'preview/selectable ones' I just get a grey/white grid If I click the correct square and paint into the scene, the correct part shows, but I cannot see it in the palette at all. Is there something I can do to sort that out?

Downloaded from the 'learn' tab from within Unity

Last edited: May 2, 2018
    Deleted User and Jasril like this.
  46. JacekMackiewicz

JacekMackiewicz

Unity Technologies

Hey Tigersong,

They are intended as learning material, and one of the best ways to learn is to just mess around with stuff! So feel free to mess with it as you please - use it in your own projects, break it apart, experiment, re-work it, etc. As long as you don't sell it as your own work it's all good!

Heya NetWanderer,

Thanks for reporting this! To temporarily circumvent this issue you can use the marquee tool on the Tilemap (the Pipette looking one - or just hold down ctrl and left click) this will allow you to select an already existing tile which you can then paint with as normal.

Jasril likes this.
  47. Jasril

Jasril

same problem as NetWanderer above...
    (using version 2017.4.2f2) i got to step 3 of the tutorial "Painting a level" and when i open the Tile Palette window it is empty, but when i click on the empty squares the tiles are actually there and work (well the rock tiles work, the alien tiles don't render in the scene view either), just not rendered in the tile palette, i tried the trick JasonLeeKennedy mentioned, but it didn't work either

Attached Files:

48. winner15689

winner15689

(Unity 2018.1.0.f2) Same problem as Jasil. "Tile Palette" window does not render any thing.

Attached Files:

49. unity_JYsJxx5bASkNRw

unity_JYsJxx5bASkNRw

50. unity_JYsJxx5bASkNRw

unity_JYsJxx5bASkNRw

Hi, thanks for the kit. Stuck on https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/projects/2d-game-kit/opening-door-events?playlist=49633.

I have placed the pressure pad and door and everything. Pressed play but noticed the moving platform, door and pressure pad is way in front so I changed the z values of all 3 to 0. However, I cannot activate the pressure pad, even though I lowered Y to 1.5 and Z to 0. I have also followed the instructions and connected the pressure pad to door.

upload_2018-5-5_2-3-30.png
    upload_2018-5-5_2-3-40.png

Please help thank you :)