Search Unity

Official 2D Game Kit Official Thread

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by Aurore, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Emme73

Emme73

Are there ever answers to these questions here ?

2. jgvex

jgvex

Another user here with crashing issues. Play the MyNewScene or w/e the tutorial has you build first - often will play once successfully, but change 1 thing in the scene / gameobjs => hit play => black screen crash on MacOS.

Machine deets:
    • MacOS Mojave version 10.14.1 (18B75)
    • MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)
    • Model Name: MacBook Pro
    • Model Identifier: MacBookPro11,2
    • Processor Name: Intel Core i7
    • Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
    • Number of Processors: 1
    • Total Number of Cores: 4
    • L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    • L3 Cache: 6 MB
    • Memory: 16 GB
    Two MacOS Crash Log reports attached.

Attached Files:

HofiOne likes this.
  3. alekspod

alekspod

Hi and thanks for the kit! Please, tell me, where can I find info about modifying the direction of staff damage? For my project it is essential to be able to damage objects below and above Ellen, not only to the lest and to the right of her/ Thanks in advance!

4. Jquino

Jquino

This worked for me on v2020.2.1f1 thank you!

5. Anikanje

Anikanje

Hi team,

I am attempting the tutorial/project and when I press the play button after creating a scene the scene turns black and I get the error below 999+ times:
    Lut3DBaker.compute: Kernel at index (2) is invalid
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent (int,intptr,bool&)
    I am on Windows 10. And am using Unity 2020.2.1f1
    Any guidance on how to fix this?

Nemo_Renee likes this.
  6. incrementor

incrementor

There are now hundreds of compilation errors in the 2D Game Kit. To fix these errors do the following:

* Make a note or screenshot about which packages are installed in Window > Package Manager (and their versions)
    * In the Window > Package manager, click the cog wheel and choose Reset Packages to Defaults
    resetting all of the packages to their defaults. Note that this will delete packages that exist in the project.
    * Delete the Cinemachine folder from the project and then upgrade Cinemachine to the latest version in the package manager eg: 2.6.3.
    * Postprocessing V2 errors can be resolved by removing the old packages (as noted above) and replacing these dependencies with the newer package versions.

A minimal suggested (aka: what works for me) package list for this project (using the latest package versions for 2020.2.2f):

* 2D Sprite
    * 2D Tilemap Editor
    * Cinemachine
    * Test Framework
    * TextMeshPro
    * Timeline
    * Unity UI
    * Visual Studio Code Editor
    * Visual Studio Editor

Other possibly useful 2D packages

* 2D Animation
    * 2D SpriteShape

I hope this helps people get this starter content to actually load and run without compilation errors.

Additional work will be needed to make moving platforms functional (eg: update the moving-platform Prefabs). To fix the prefab, do the following:

* In the Project panel, navigate to 2DGameKit > Prefabs > Interactables > MovingPlatform
    * Open the Prefab to edit it (double-click)
    * In the Inspector:
    ** Clear (uncheck) Rigidbody2D > Constraints > Freeze Position X and Freeze Position Y
    * The prefab should now be saved automatically,
    * Close the prefab
    * Run the game and test out the prefabs!
    ** Note that previously instanced Prefabs of MovingPlatform will also need to have their position unfrozen, so edit the instances in Zone1 and Zone3 etc...

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    Nemo_Renee likes this.
  7. Anikanje

Anikanje

Thank you very much for the help! It is fixed!

8. Marsi

Marsi

I have 2020.2.3f1 and I just downloaded 2D Game Kit. I got errors and i could't start the game. I updated every package in Window > Package Manager and it seems to working now!

aristottlecatipay123 likes this.
  9. MaxPruss

MaxPruss

I also just opened the package manager and updated everything that showed it needed an update. Scene loaded fine.

aristottlecatipay123 likes this.
  10. cybergamedeveloper

cybergamedeveloper

I tried to use 2D Game Kit with URP, however some shaders are not woring.
    For example, Shader "Water2D" does not show up.
    Does anyone has solution to make it work? or convert this shader into shader grap

11. maisuto

maisuto

Hi Can I publish it After Creating New levels.

12. Nemo_Renee

Nemo_Renee

Thanks you saved me so much time!!! I was about to give up.

13. noobietuber

noobietuber

14. noobietuber

noobietuber

explain this, i get 2020.3 and i NEED 2020.2, but i cant get it anywhere.

15. LootHunter

LootHunter

Hello. I was wondering, what language does Ellen speak? Is it French or Spanish? Or is that speech just some gibberish?

16. pansyy8812

pansyy8812

Hello!
    Is there any way to save levels or Checkpoint after anyone leaves the game?

17. LootHunter

LootHunter

I don't think so. The game doesn't have any save/load features. Though I must say, it's rather short.

18. gopi15699

gopi15699

19. gopi15699

gopi15699

There are also no touch controls in the kit.

HofiOne likes this.
  20. RendiNemt

RendiNemt

Hi I was asking if you please help me with this error message , "Failed to import package C:\Users\<Name>\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Asset Store-5.x\Unity Technologies\Project\2d-game-kit.unitypackage", I got this message after I had just installed the 2d game kit from the 2d game tutorials .

21. gopi15699

gopi15699

Nice information from this site.

22. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Community Engagement Manager PSM

This error could come up if any folder names/file names leading up to your Unity project are too long. Could you change to a shorter folder structure and try again?

23. mikemuk01

mikemuk01

Is there any way to delay the opening of a door when a key is collected, so that the door could be out of sight when collecting the key, and the door only opens when the player, with the key, approaches the door. That way the player could find the locked door first and be unable to open it and would then need to find the key and go back to the door.

24. WolfmanGT123

WolfmanGT123

I saw this asset and thought it looked good, i can download and import it, however once imported i get many errors, 9 to be exact with errors like the following:
    Assets\2DGamekit\Utilities\Editor\RuleTileEditor.cs(12,26): error CS0433: The type 'RuleTile' exists in both 'Assembly-CSharp, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' and 'Unity.2D.Tilemap.Extras, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'

Misska, SugaMama, itsraynaH and 6 others like this.
  25. WayneJP

WayneJP

It's been a long time since 2018, have you make sense of this kit?

Recently, I was using VFXController in my own project. There was a problem I can not figure out.
    When I trigger and create vfx instance, the vfx instance will immediately show up at Vector3 (0,0,0) position in the first frame before the following code in Update() execute:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. vfx.transform.position = vfx.parent.position;
    After setting the instance's position to parent position in the next Update() function, it was rendered at the correct position.
    eg. When the character jump, dust does not show up under the character's foot at the first frame, instead, it show up at (0,0,0) in the world position. And come back to character's foot at the next frame.
    It doesn't happened in 2d game kit, I wonder if I missing something.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  26. WayneJP

WayneJP

First, it is a great kit to learn. I know this question is kind out of the scope of this kit, but I still hope someone can help me after I look through all the 10 pages in this thread...

Recently, I was using VFXController in my own project. There was a problem I can not figure out.
    When I trigger and create vfx instance, the vfx instance will immediately show up at Vector3 (0,0,0) position in the first frame before the following code in Update() execute:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. vfx.transform.position = vfx.parent.position;
    After setting the instance's position to parent position in the next Update() function, it was rendered at the correct position.
    eg. When the character jump, dust does not show up under the character's foot at the first frame, instead, it show up at (0,0,0) in the world position. And come back to character's foot at the next frame.
    It doesn't happened in 2d game kit, I wonder if I missing something.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  27. WayneJP

WayneJP

Iuckily, I found sollution. In Character's Animator component, Simply change Update Mode to Animate Physics.
    Hakuna Matata~

DYV likes this.
  28. Jeff_G1

Jeff_G1

Perhaps this has been asked before, but there are 10 pages to read through!

Step 4 of the 2D Game Kit Walkthrough "Adding a moving platform", says that when you select the Moving Platform, a red dotted line with a move gizmo on the end appears. There is no dotted line or second gizmo. I worked round this by editing the X value in Node 1 to get it to move to the second platform I created.

Edit: Now I have no way when I continue the tutorial to perform the steps of adding extra nodes as nothing new appears in the scene view.

Edit #2: I found someone with the same problem on page 9. The solution was that gizmos need to be activated but are off by default. I can't see how to do this.

OK found it - just have to click on the Gizmos button. You'd think the tutorial would explain this.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
  29. picklehawk

picklehawk

I give up.

I can't even get this #%$^$%^&ing tutorial to load into Unity. I've wasted hours today trying anything mentioned above, and repeating and reinstalling, etc. All up to date, all fresh installs.

The previous beginner tutorials before this one had multiple issues it took lengthy wastes of time to fix also.

Unity...if you aren't going to provide beginner tutorials that load simply and are useable without ridiculous amounts of fiddling, then please just don't provide any. I would much rather have just found nothing and gone straight to Udemy or whatever without wasting my time here. Or preferably, have someone there (better yet, watch a newbie) do a fresh install of Unity and then try to do the tutorials so you can see the problems.

30. augomaton

augomaton

I got the same exact errors, however this seems to solve it:
    Go to Window > Package Manager
    Click on 2D Tilemap Extras in the list of packages, then click on the Remove button

(I'm using Unity 2021.1.24f1 currently)

31. Anand8290

Anand8290

Thanks for the solution. It worked for me as well.

32. mailz1203

mailz1203

Please help! I am trying to put in me game in this kit dialogue between two characters. How can I make it so that the phrase of CHARACTER 1 appears, disappears and immediately appears the phrase CHARACTER 2 in on event?

33. stoner2009

stoner2009

Hello,
    I tried using 2d game kit and it works fine on PC with keyboard(A button, D button, Escape...).
    i generated the APK file and tried to test the game on my Android phone but it seems not working. In fact the game loads but i was unable to move the character. maybe i'm missing something. Can you help me guys?

34. mikecity

mikecity

I can't get it by Mac Air. At first I can't download it. and can't find it in Learn.
    Online I can't open it by unity 2020.3, Open and nothing just Unity Hub Opened...

35. Tauseef_Ahmaad

Tauseef_Ahmaad

Hi @Aurore, I am using this package for Unity WebGL testing, when I build the project and run it on local and cloud server it's not run because its use the 2GB memory for running. even we use the very low quality for this package. we are running on MacBook 2018 and Latest Mozilla firefox. please guide us, how this problem we can handle and run on the browser. thanks

36. MagendanzC

MagendanzC

Several of my students now have lost days of work because they went with the default "NewScene" when creating the next level of their game. The NewSceneCreator script will stomp on the old NewScene.unity without any warning that they're deleting the old scene file.

There really should be a warning dialog if a scene name is selected that already exists.

37. bheifetz94

bheifetz94

Hello,

I am running into issues with importing the package. I'm currently running Unity ver. 2020.3.33f1 on Windows 10. I can download the package from the Asset Store just fine, but when I get to this screen...

...and click Install/Upgrade, it gives me a few loading bars, but then nothing. The package does not appear in my Packages list, and any subsequent attempts result in nothing happening after pressing Install/Upgrade. I'm getting no errors, and uninstalling and reinstalling Unity and trying again also doesn't solve the issue. We also tried updating any dependencies involved, but that didn't fix it either.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2022
  38. yangang

yangang

can not run it with 2021.3.2f1c1 ,get this error
    Kernel 'KGenLut3D_NeutralTonemap' not found
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent (int,intptr,bool&)

39. SintDaBuzz

SintDaBuzz

Bos Level.png Start menu.png Hi Everybody, nice to see this thread is still going!

I have been making my own platform game with this kit and it is going oke. Learning something new everyday. The art I am using is made by my 5 year old daughter. She has great ideas on how the level should play and what the abilities are of the enemies you run into.

Two questions: Can I start my own thread somewhere to talk about my game and show some of the progress?

And more practical: I am using an Xbox controller for input, but the Start menu won't let me select items with the controller. How can I change this?

Thanks in advance,
    David

firebird721 likes this.
  40. SintDaBuzz

SintDaBuzz

There is no delay for activating a dialogue screen, only for deactivating it, so I don't think that it is possible the normal way.

41. SintDaBuzz

SintDaBuzz

Could be that you are not logged into Unity itself but are in the Asset Store, or with a different account if you don't see the package in the manager... ?

42. LootHunter

LootHunter

1. There is a sub-forum for "Projects in progress" threads here.
    2. As for using controller in the Start menu, you'll have to make your own script that will select menu items when pressing corresponding keys.

SintDaBuzz likes this.
  43. JaisyKo

JaisyKo

Deleting the script from the error helped me, nothing else seemed to break.

waguirred and codyjolin like this.
  44. Falcon8857

Falcon8857

How do you download the project in unity hub 3.1.2 for linux? It doesn't appear in the learning when you create a project, and in the my assets page when I click on open in unity it doesn't work.

45. OMGmyGame

OMGmyGame

Hello
    I really like the 2d game kit, but I would like to know more about the Coding and scripts behind it.
    The referencing between multiple scripts and using built in functions, that I don't know, makes it hard for me to follow on my own.
    Is there a place, where the scripts of the 2d game kit are explained in detail?
    Or is there a guide, that teaches me the advanced script-structure of a 2d game like this?

46. Neo_Flash1979

Neo_Flash1979

I've just installed Unity and I'm trying to open the 2D game kit. It doesn't show up in Unity Hub under learning or any other tabs. When I click "open in unity" from the 2D game kit page on the asset store, Unity Hub opens but nothing after that. Any idea what the problem might be. I'm running Unity Hub 3.2.0 and I have editor versions 2019.4.40f1, 2020.3.36f1 and 2021.3.5f1.

47. SintDaBuzz

SintDaBuzz

Hi,

Start a new project. Go to the asset store and add the game kit. Open the package manager within your project and download, plus install it from there.
    So you need a open project before adding it.
    Does that work for you?

48. joaoluizsn5

joaoluizsn5

I can't find the "2D Game Kit" on Unity's "Learn" tab, according to the "Getting started with the 2D Game Kit" this is the page where I should download it, is that correct?
    I tried clicking on "open in Unity" on the "asset page" on the browser but when Unity opens it's on the "Projects" tab and it is completely blank! Help! PLEASE!

49. SintDaBuzz

SintDaBuzz

Hi,

Start a new project. Go to the asset store and add the game kit. Open the package manager within your project and download, plus install it from there.
    So you need an open project before adding it.
    Does that work for you?

This is the same answer as to the post above yours

joaoluizsn5 likes this.
  50. joaoluizsn5

joaoluizsn5

Can anyone help me? Where are the particle system options? How can I add them?

Are there animated flowers? where are they?