Search Unity

Official 2D Game Kit Official Thread

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by Aurore, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

The Content Team at Unity have been working on something we like to call a ‘Game Kit’. This is the first of two projects, one in 2D and one in 3D. This particular release is our 2D Game Kit.

You can find it here!

Use this thread for help and questions on the 2D Game Kit.

What is a Gamekit?

A project designed in such a way so that gameplay, art and puzzles can be created without using code in Unity. This project is perfect to get more familiar with Unity whether you’re an artist, designer or even just starting your game development journey.

Within the Kit you will find a collection of gameplay elements, tools and systems that can be hooked up without code. We’ve also created a small game example using this system.

What is it for?

We’re trying to provide Unity beginners, artists and designers a little more agency in the Editor without needing to code, while hopefully allowing you to get more familiar with how Unity works.

Where can I start?
    Here!

Download the project off the Asset Store and open up the Getting Started guide or view it on our Learn site. Follow the steps to give you an idea of how things are put together, you can also play the game and start digging around who it’s made to get some ideas. There is more in depth documentation in the Reference Guide in the project and on our Learn site.

We also have a Live Session on using the Game Kit on the 21st of February you can view it here

So get creating and we hope you enjoy this Kit! A 3D version is coming our in the next few months.

Show us what you’ve made with it!

2. Magun2

Magun2

Hi, I have trouble downloading the 2D Game Kit. When I try to click "Download" nothing happens. What's more, the mouse cursor immediately changes from "hand" to "arrow" when hovering over the button, as if the button was inactive. Please help.

3. Aurore

Aurore

Is this in the Asset Store in the editor?

4. samooniyakk

samooniyakk

this package is very good . i downloaded this package ONLY because of "Slope System" but , there are no slope system in this game package.

5. Magun2

Magun2

Yes, I try to download this package from the editor, as always.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  6. Magun2

Magun2

Is there another way to download packages from Asset Store?

atomic4444 likes this.
  7. grafxhed

grafxhed

so, i opened this on the editor but then it says i am offline and cant access it. please help. yeah, i am a total noob

shailendrasingh4598 likes this.
  8. TerryBogardChan

TerryBogardChan

I got the error when I import the kit, my unity version is 2017.2.1f1, please help.

Assets/2DGamekit/Scripts/Utility/PrewarmDirector.cs(14,46): error CS1061: Type `UnityEngine.Playables.PlayableDirector' does not contain a definition for `RebuildGraph' and no extension method `RebuildGraph' of type `UnityEngine.Playables.PlayableDirector' could be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

9. Swapan01

Swapan01

What about mobile version. Please provide me details. How to convert into android version.

10. Necromantic

Necromantic

Read the actual Asset Store Description https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/essentials/tutorial-projects/2d-game-kit-beta-107098

11. leoooo

leoooo

This asset looks amazing, I'm starting with a small 2D project and I already have my 2D character, how can I replace Ellen with my own work?
    I mean, I want to use this asset to create a game not only to see what Unity Team can did.

Thanks

12. shohan4556

shohan4556

I am using the latest version of Unity this is what happen when I wanted to create new scene. I have tried reopening several times no helps.

WalterPalladino likes this.
  13. Igorexa

Igorexa

Do you plan to add the ladder in the near future?

14. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

15. MachairaJP

MachairaJP

@shohan4556 I get a new scene when I create one. Does the game run correctly for you? Maybe delete the kit and re-add?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  16. Lightme

Lightme

I have a question what is the license on this? For publishing a game?

17. JasonLeeKennedy

JasonLeeKennedy

Just updated to 2017.3.0f1 (Linux) to try this project out. - Launched it from the Learning tab on the launcher (vs importing the assets from the Asset Store).

Multiple Sprites are loading up as black in the scene/game view. But when I open the base file, it looks correct.

Attempted closing and re-opening Unity just retriggered the import process again to create the project - after loading no change.

Unity keeps crashing also when trying to navigate the scenes to see if I can ID what is causing it issues.

edit: found the Sprite issue -> sRPG(Color Texture) box had to be uncheck most of the sprite and alpha had to be enabled.

got it running, but it had trouble holding a stable 60fps in the editor, not sure what it was doing to use up so many system resources that the frame rate was dropping.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  18. TerryBogardChan

TerryBogardChan

19. gwnguy

gwnguy

I'm guessing your version of Unity (I got the error when I import the kit, my unity version is 2017.2.1f1, please help.) isn't up to the required version, and is probably missing some of the features the new Unity version has that this 2dGame kit requires.

upload_2018-2-14_23-41-43.png

MosaicoStudio likes this.
  20. rbagao

rbagao

Using the latest version of Unity (Version 2017.03 0f3)
    Choose Start Scene then Run.

Started playing the game but it keeps on crashing :(

21. JasonLeeKennedy

JasonLeeKennedy

what OS/RAM/Video Card/etc do you have?

I had some crashing issues also, I am curious if it is related to the kit or the the version of unity I am running (Linux 2017.3.0.f1) as I just updated to use this kit.

I am on Ubuntu 17.10 with a i5-7200U CPU, Intel HD Graphics 620, 8GB ram, SSD HD.

22. valakot

valakot

This is very cool 2D kit. One more thing I would like it to have is a tools to create dialogue, right now it only have a Info Post signs so it only shows 1 sign with text, but I would like to have the ability to make a dialogue. Is it something that can be expected in the update? Or if not, can you advise any asset in the store to make a 2D dialogue?
    Also can't wait for the 3D version, that would be even greater, but please add a tools to create a dialogue, for example if I want to add a NPC character.

sakelariev likes this.
  23. clintonb

clintonb

I was trying out this asset on a late 2011 MacBook Pro. It worked find on other computers, but on this one, I couldn't see the some of the tiles; the TilesetRockWaterBlockers showed up fine, but the TileSetGameKit showed nothing at all.

JasonLeeKenedy's comment got me on the right track. I found the source images for the tilesets, and changing the Max Size from 8k*8k to 4k*4k made everything work.

wakaraneko likes this.
  24. Lightme

Lightme

So there is no license on this? jeej!

valakot likes this.
  25. rbagao

rbagao

I'm using Windows 10, 16gb RAM, Nvidia Ge-Force GTX 1070

26. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

The asset store EULA covers license for unity packages. That section has mostly been the same since Unity 4x.

tldr: Read the EULA.

Lightme likes this.
  27. SlenderBoy302

SlenderBoy302

I need help changing the language from French to English. How do I change the language translator from French to English?

28. Sas00

Sas00

Great package with beautiful artwork.
    I have a problem during build of the demo in scene4. The cube over the pressure plate works fine when I play in unity, If I build the dame in Windows x64/x86 the cube light is on/off over pressure plate and the platforms won't move.
    I use version 1.2 . Is there anything wrong I have to do to build the game?

29. Lightme

Lightme

https://unity3d.com/legal/terms-of-service

This link you mean? But if you want too be more commercial that I think it should be important too know and understand this or am I crazy?

"
    The Unity Asset Store has separate terms and conditions for use of the Asset Store and Asset Store Providers.

"

30. twilightZone

twilightZone

is it possible to have the source code fully commented ????

31. TheOz

TheOz

Anyone running into the particle effects rendering as blank squares

upload_2018-2-17_20-44-32.png

Do I need to adjust a setting?

Garry

32. JasonLeeKennedy

JasonLeeKennedy

@TheOz, take a look at my earlier post, I had most of the images show up in black like that. It seems that the package was targeted an unusually high system requirement levels given that it is a 2d project.

33. Edris89

Edris89

How can I setup the foreground and decorate it?

34. TheOz

TheOz

Hi Jason,

I followed your earlier post but could not figure out what you meant about the Alpha value. What I ended up doing that got the particles working for the heat haze was change the shader to particle/additive rather than particle/standard. I can't seem to get the particle effect to show correct for the acid bubbles or the dustpoof from the foot steps.

Garry.

35. Cian237

Cian237

Hi just wondering if this can be used to create a game to be published on android/ios
    help would be appreciated as im very new to uinty
    Thanks for any replies :)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  36. JasonLeeKennedy

JasonLeeKennedy

@TheOz,
    It was on the image import settings on any image that was 'black' - see attached image.

Attached Files:

37. BitPagar

BitPagar

hello

dagoatmanbibba likes this.
  38. mdahmed120

mdahmed120

hi, when i click on download nothing happens, i am doing this in unity asset store window.

atomic4444 likes this.
  39. leoooo

leoooo

(Again)
    This asset looks amazing, I'm starting with a small 2D project and I already have my 2D character, how can I replace Ellen with my own work?
    I mean, I want to use this asset to create a game not only to see what Unity Team can did.

Thanks

40. garrythebox

garrythebox

Hello everyone.
    I just started up the 2D game kit, but the 'TilesetGameKit' , unlike the 'TilesetRockWaterBlockers' are empty!
    the tiles are simply not there. Does anyone else have this problem, and moreover does anyone know how to fix it?

41. garrythebox

garrythebox

Hello there Jason,
    I have the exact same problem as you. I recently started using Unity and simply cannot find the Colour texture box. Can you please help and give me some pointers?
    Thank you very much

42. JasonLeeKennedy

JasonLeeKennedy

@garrythebox,

I can point you to what I wrote, but beyond that, no I couldn't tell you what was wrong.

It is in the inspector when you are have the sprite highlighted. see the screen capture on my post a few back.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  43. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

I missed the live session. Ad I can't find it on Youtube. Will the live video be available on Youtube?

44. SlenderBoy302

SlenderBoy302

Does the kit have controller support?

45. Prog-Maker

Prog-Maker

Version 1.2
    After buildgame, last scene (boss) loading very long

46. Aurore

Aurore

Do you have any errors in at the bottom of the editor when you open it?

No afraid not.

You can use the assets in a published game, we just frown upon ripping the entire game and publishing it as your own.

Sorry to hear you had trouble on Linux, this pack was tested for Windows and OSX as those are our fully supported platforms.

In Prfabs > UIPrefabs folder, there are a number of UI canvases to choose from.

For dialogue select the 'Dialogue Canvas' and drag it into the Hierarchy, now when you trigger an event you can drag in this canvas from the hierarchy into the event and use the DialogueCanvasController.ActivateCanvasWithText to trigger your text from the box. We should have a video on this coming up soon as it was part of the Live Session on the kit last night.

upload_2018-2-22_9-32-22.png

This is a known issue and something we can't fix as it's a physics issue with the engine, it is fixed in the next version of Unity (2018.1) which will be out in a few months.

Builds of the game example have not been tested for iOS or Android devices so we can't guarantee performance as it is intended to run and be used in the Editor with the possibility to build for Windows & Mac. There are also no touch controls in the kit.

Hopefully next week.

Yes, Xbox One controller support by default, you will need to change the input on Ellen's Player Input Component on the Prefab https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/projects/2d-game-kit/ellen?playlist=49633

Thanks for reporting, this is a known issue at the moment we're hoping to improve this soon.

47. Kriszo91

Kriszo91

Hi,

Can i get some info about how the sprites are maded, especially i would like to know more about the process, and which program used to create the sprite elements and what is the process to export than import to Unity?

48. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

I missed the live session. And I can't find it on Youtube. Will the live video be available on Youtube?

49. lifeordeal

lifeordeal

Hi,
    Could anyone guide me on how I should go about adding touch controls to the package?

HofiOne likes this.
  50. Nix-Nox

Nix-Nox

I was about to try this out, got to step 2 of the tutorial. Chose "Create New Scene" from the "Kit Tools" and got an error; "The scene _TemplateScene was not found in GameKit2D/Scenes folder. This scene is required by the New Scene Creator." I tried reimporting from the Asset Store in the Unity Editor, but the scene in question is not even listed in the package.