Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

2D game development

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by masterblade, Feb 14, 2010.

1. masterblade

masterblade

Hi

I have a question. With this game engine is it possible to develop 2d games or this is only for 3d game development?

2. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

3. chaoticheartld

chaoticheartld

A lot of games/projects with a perceived 2D perspective are really just 3D, but locked to 2 axis. So, it gives the illusion of 2D, while still actually being 3D.

There are a few projects that are true 2D, though. It can be done, either way. Surprisingly, not as difficult as you may think. Just another example of Unity's excellent level of diversity.

4. CryptoQuick

CryptoQuick

Two words: Orthogonal camera.

5. matthewminer

matthewminer

If you're interested in developing a 2D game, make sure to check out the Gameplay Tutorial. It uses 3D models, but the movement is constrained to two dimensions (think Super Smash Bros.).

As for examples, I recently played Paper Moon which makes great use of 2D artwork. That's just one of many though; you see quite a few 2D games posted around here.

6. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

7. Brady

Brady

When it comes to workflow doing 2D games in Unity, I think you may find SpriteManager 2 extremely helpful in streamlining things and making working with 2D graphics (specifically sprite-based graphics and animation) much more straight-forward:
    http://www.anbsoft.com/middleware/sm2/

8. screenhogdotcom

screenhogdotcom

Is SpriteManager only for iPhone? Or can it be used for regular Unity projects as well?

9. Brady

Brady

It can be used for "regular" Unity as well. The only real difference is that Unity iPhone has automatic batching and "regular" Unity does not batch. But the drawcalls from even a moderate number of low-poly meshes are FAR less a concern than on iPhone.

10. cbg2009

cbg2009

A game I recently finished working on called Nebulas Cannons was 2D but 3D models were used for the game objects. So basically, I made a 3D game but constrained it to two dimensions. ConfigurableJoint helps keep everything on a single plane.

Here's a link to a thread that has a demo link for it:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=46039

11. Amon

Amon

I bought SpriteManager yesterday. I highly recommend this. Very professionally done and saves so much time it's unbelievable.