Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

2D Fighting game example

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Xinzz, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Xinzz

Xinzz

Hey guys.

I'm not sure I should post this in here, I'm also a beginner. I've played fighting game for a long time, and i loved it, so i wanted to make one with unity. And i'm sorry it's not a tutorial.

Here is what I've made.

I love Street Fighter so i make a copy of one of the character, hope you guys don't mind.

2D Fighting game example package download:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-RBlDmfNDdueUFBTV9DdjhLX28/view?usp=sharing

It was my first time make fighting game, so it might be kind of mess, sorry about that. But i wanna share it with you guys, hope it will be helpful sometime. :)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
    JoeStrout likes this.
  2. jhocking

jhocking

3. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Can you put up a webplayer or web plugin demo somewhere? I'd love to give it a quick try, but I'm less eager to download and run a project...

Did you do that artwork yourself? It looks great!

4. Xinzz

Xinzz

Yeah i knew, but i didn't think it's a finished work. Fighting game needs a lot of adjustments to make it balanced and playable. So it is just a practice for me.

5. Xinzz

Xinzz

I don't know how yet, sorry, but i'll figure it out.

And yes, i did that artwork myself, but it's a copy of street fighter 4, hope i could make my own one day.

6. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

It's actually super easy — in the Build Settings dialog, you just pick WebGL or Web Player, and Build. Unity spits out an folder containing an index.html and some other files. You throw those all up on your web server, hand out the URL, and Bob's your uncle!

7. Xinzz

Xinzz

Thanks man, I don't know if it'll work.
    http://googledrive.com/host/0B-RBlDmfNDduclM0dFNLY3hpak0

8. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Works great! Really nice job on the game too! You've done an amazing job.

I have just a couple of suggestions at this point:

1. Include an instructions page that gives the controls... it took quite a lot of poking around to figure them out. (Actually I never did figure out the attack controls for the left player, but that might be because I use Dvorak.)

2. The transition between near and far camera views is a bit jarring. It might be good to make that smoother.

I really like the animation though, and the controls are nice and tight too. Hit detection seems very good as well. If this is your first game, I can't wait to see what you're doing a few years from now!

9. Xinzz

Xinzz

haha i wanted to tell you the control in last reply but i didn't expect it will work. Sorry!

Player1: wsad (control move) h(light punch), j(heavy punch), k(light kick),L(heavy kick)
    Player2: arrow keys(control move) 4(light punch), 5(heavy punch), 1(light kick),2(heavy kick)

Thanks for the suggestions!! The Camera I wanted to make it work in a way that zooming out slowly when 2 chars' distance increase. But It didn't work.

Actually i've realized those problems in game. Such as you should knock back enemy when you attack him. Fighting game has lots of stuff should be set.

And thanks again for your time and play my game. Really appreciate that. :)

JoeStrout likes this.
  10. tedthebug

tedthebug

Keep an eye on the design forum for the next Friday feedback & post your stuff in there as well to get feedback. It's held 2 weeks on & 2 weeks off.

11. Xinzz

Xinzz

Thanks for your reminding, but i guess i'll pass. I could list tons of details need to be improved for my fighting game.

And btw I've played your game in that thread, it's simple and fun. I've tried hundreds of times, still 20s is my best. And hard mode can't even get 10s lol.

Here are some thoughts might make it funnier. Maybe it could be added as a game mode.

1.stuff will drop on the plank randomly, and the ball can't get off the ground. It gives larger degree to rotate and player will pay more attention to it.

2.Player need to balance the plank and control the ball rolling forward at the same time, so the score is depend on how far did you go.

12. tedthebug

tedthebug

Thanks, I was wondering who was still playing it :) (seriously, I was). Best on the hardest mode (short ground) is now around 16.5seconds, I really really need to work out how to integrate the api for high scores.
    Dropping stuff might make it harder since it's very sensitive to control but when I work out how to do achievements I was thinking of trying to do one for getting right to the edge & then saving yourself by getting back away from it for a set distance, & maybe one for total distance travelled, both of which I think line up with your second suggestion. The intention when I get time is to do a touch version for phones etc, maybe this year.

Anyway, consider the Friday feedback, it's not for finished games but rather for a playable version so you can get feedback that might give you ideas before you spend ages on other stuff.

13. Xinzz

Xinzz

Wow best score is 16.5s, my 10s seems not bad lol.

And yeah dropping stuff is harder but fun, with larger degree the plank will not touch ground easily, and the plank will be back and forth all the time, so the stuff dropped on the plank could also be threw away while the plank rotating. It becomes a kind of 'rougelike' game coz each time you play is different lol . and the ball is connect with the plank will make it easier.

About the Friday feedback, thanks maybe i'll go check it out. :)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016