Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

2D Equivilent to Pro-Builder Collisions?

Discussion in 'World Building' started by StarLightShadow, Dec 18, 2020.

1. StarLightShadow

StarLightShadow

I'm building an engine meant to mimic the gameplay of a Tile-based 2D game. So far I have been doing it with 3D components and scripts, but I'd like to convert it to 2D so that it runs more efficiently.

The only issue is how I'm building the basic collision in this game. That being with Pro-builder.
    Pro-Builder's method of level building and it's seemingly unique method of handling collisions have, so far, been perfect for the game I'm building.
    The things that make it so appealing are as follows.

I can easily extrude new faces to build the level out and snap them to the tile grid using Pro-Grids, each depth-wise division edge being like a vertex in the collision mesh when viewed from a 2D perspective.
    This also results in things like slopes being an exceedingly simple matter.
    The collision works in a one-way fashion, allowing the creation of one-way platforms, one-way walls, etc.

Eventually, the visual aspects of the environment are going to be built with tilesets, but I don't want to resort to using them for collision. Especially given the fact that the game I'm basing this engine on involves a lot of fake walls and other ways in which the visual tileset is meant to lie to you.