Search Unity

2D - Different sprites/animations for different playable characters workflow?

Discussion in '2D' started by SchmittFace, Oct 10, 2019.

1. SchmittFace

SchmittFace

Hi all!

Probably the noobiest question (first non-tutorial project!!), but asking since I’m away from my pc for a week and want elements mentally planned out for when I’m back! :D

So I’ve different playable characters a player can choose to play as, that are functionally the same, but aesthetically different in terms of animations and sprites used (kinda like different CrossyRoad or Mario characters); even the animation lengths are identical, literally just aesthetic differences.

My thinking was to essentially have different variants of a player prefab, same scripts etc., with the only change being that the variant’s animator component now references a different animator controller (with each controller being a unique asset and using a different character’s spritesheets); then instantiating that character’s variant at the start of the scene based on which the player selected.

Probably obvious, but is that doable as a prefab instance/ is there a neater way? The idea being that there’s less hassle down the road if the parent prefab needs changing..

Apologies if it’s obvious, just trying to keep the workflow as clean as possible since with how little I know currently I’m aware how easy I’ll get confused!! :D

Cheers!